When my husband Jason first mentioned having a destination wedding, I was not thrilled about it. But I told him that there was one place that I had been in the world that I thought, “if I ever have a destination wedding, this is where it would be.” That was the Amphitheatre at Villa Caletas. Villa Caletas itself is high atop a mountain overlooking the central pacific coast and Jaco. It is frequented by toucans, turkey vultures, frogs, spiders, iguanas, scarlet macaws and white-faced monkeys. The views are spectacular and the sunset views are unrivaled.
So after scheduling a visit with Pilar Arevalo, the hotel’s events coordinator, we flew down to Costa Rica. In the 12 years since my last visit, however, I had developed bad knees and vertigo. So when I saw the Amphitheater I thought, “I will never be able to walk down that aisle.” Fortunately, when we met with Pilar the next day, she took us to Zephyr Palace, a small boutique hotel and event space located on the property. As Jason described it, they took all of the rough edges out of Villa Caletas when they built Zephyr Palace. The grounds were well manicured and classically decorated. And the views were stunning.
We scheduled a Friday night rehearsal dinner at Villa Caletas, the wedding on Saturday at Zephyr Palace and a brunch for Sunday morning poolside at Zephyr Palace.
The boutique hotel at Zephyr Palace consists of only six suites. We stayed in the Egyptian (Egypto). It was beautifully decorated and located. The night before the wedding, I asked to stay in a different room and I was given one of the Junior Suites – the one closest to the pool. That room was spacious and the location was private and beautiful. And the hotel was able to accommodate my request for a late check out so that I could dress there for the wedding.
A week before the wedding, Pilar wrote to let me know that the brunch had been relocated from the Disco terrace to the area underneath the terrace. That location, she said, would be shaded. She did not tell me, however, that the hotel had built a pool adjacent to that area three months earlier. So our brunch turned into a private pool party.
A day before the wedding, three friends conspiratorially whispered to me, “I think they gave us the best room!” This was the ultimate compliment, as our guests felt overwhelmed by the hotel and its hospitality.
The wedding itself was spectacular. The scenery was amazing and the service was impeccable.
I am now trying to convince anyone I can to: (1) get married and (2) get married at Zephyr Palace so I can go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- in the central pacific coast of costa rica with an impressive view to nicoya gulf and located in the top of the hill, is the zephyr palace, a stunning mansion with breathtaking sunset views, bordered by a tropical forest and touched by a gentle breeze.its name and design was inspired in the mythological greek god of the west wind. zephyr in the original greek zephyros, was considered the gentlest wind. the warm west wind brought the spring season, even today the name of the god means a warm and light breeze. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Zephyr Palace Luxury Rental Mansion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Zephyr Palace Luxury Rental Mansion Hotel Jaco
- Zephyr Palace Luxury Rental Mansion Costa Rica/Jaco