“Relaxing and Private”

Zephyr Palace Luxury Rental Mansion
Ranked #13 of 40 Hotels in Jaco
Reviewed October 11, 2013

My family, all grown adults, vacationed here for my 30th birthday. It was a wonderful vacation! My husband, brother and I shared the Royal Suite, which was made up of 2 rooms. The master bedroom was spacious with three closets and a TV that, with a click of a button, electronically raised from the end of the bed. The bathroom was very clean and large, with both an entrance from the master room and the second room. The views were awesome, the terrace was very long and comfortable. The Zephry Palace portion of this hotel property does not seem suitable for children. It is very relaxing and quiet, perfect for a romantic trip or adult family vacation.

Room service and housekeeping was spectacular! Truly top notch, professional service. I can't say that I've ever had such good service, and that says a lot since I work in the customer service industry.

The infinity pool was fantastic, panoramic views of the mountains and ocean. The sunset is best watched up at the pool area. We visited the hotel in the "green/rainy" season, so there was no options for dining at the Zephyr Palace except for room service. The Villa Caletas is a hotel property adjoined to the Zephyr Palace, only a few minutes walk away. They had a few dining options with fantastic service at both. My favorite meal was breakfast, the fruit was unbelievable. Everything was fresh and I have not had a better meal since. The servers were very friendly and helpful. The prices may be a little bit above expectations, but since the property is located further away from the hustle and bustle, it is the only option if you do not plan ahead. One day my family took a day trip to Manuel Antonio National Park (which was amazing) and we pre-ordered boxed breakfasts to go through the main restaurant since we had to leave before they opened. Very accommodating! We ate at the hotel for most of our trip except for one night we dined at the Marriott, about 20 minutes away, and prices were similar. On my birthday, our server hand wrote a special birthday message on my dessert and really made me feel great! The whole restaurant ended up singing to me, it was a great feeling, everyone was so nice.

The gym and pool at the main hotel, Villa Caletas, was very nice. The whole property makes you feel like you are in your own rainforest, very lush and exotic. The flowers, plants, and overall decor are awesome. The only suggestion I would have is for the hotel to have a little snack stand during the day and evening (other than the pool area). It would be nice to get a few bottles of water and a granola bar or chips.

Laura from concierge was FANTASTIC. She was friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable about every tour offered. I had a million questions and she was very patient and walked me through each detail of the tour. Laura worked with our schedule and even accommodated a special request we had for a tour I wanted to do, that was not offered through the hotel. I cannot give enough praise about her, she is truly a fantastic employee and the hotel is lucky to have her.

The hotel airport shuttle, $100 total for up to 5 travelers, was on time and our driver was professional. He stopped for several "photo ops" and pointed out some of the local culture. The bellhops were awesome, one night it was raining and they picked us up from the Zephyr Palace and drove us the short distance to the hotel restaurant.

Jaco, a small touristy town is located about 15-20 minutes away from the hotel. Laura or anyone else at the concierge can schedule a taxi which is approximately $20 - 30. All travel with the tours is included in the price. I honestly would not recommend renting a car - the roads can be very difficult to navigate and it is easy to get lost. We spend less on taxi money than we would have renting a car for the entire trip.

Costa Ricans are an extremely friendly and nice people, and our experience at the Zephyr Palace proved nothing different. I would recommend this hotel property! Thank you for an enjoyable experience and special birthday. Pura Vida!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Rachel K

Reviewed October 4, 2013

My wife and I spent eight nights in the large, well appointed African suite at Zephyr palace. The view from the floor to ceiling windows of the forest canopy and ocean is stunning. The view extends to the private balcony with hammock and hot tub. To look down at macaws flying above the trees is almost dream-like.

The staff was friendly, prompt and attentive - always greeting you with a smile. We enjoyed several wonderful meals at the restaurant. Breakfast was always a treat with so many locally inspired dishes to choose from. I would definitely recommend the Caletas breakfast.

We also experienced the most breathtaking sunsets from the beautiful infinity pool - one of the many wonderful spots on the hotel grounds.

We were looking forward to this vacation since booking it early in the year. Our expectations were met and surpassed. Maybe one day we'll make it back to this little piece of heaven.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 10 days at the palace (we were in the African Suite) in April for our honeymoon. It was everything we were hoping for and more. Not only was the room beautiful and quiet but so were the rest of the grounds. The views were amazing as was the staff. Even though the palace was a bit of a walk to the rest of the property, we didn't mind. The staff always stopped when driving by on the golf cart to ask if we wanted a ride. Most of the other reviews complain about the beach being too rocky so we were expecting it and it was no problem at all. The beach is a private beach that you have to access by truck, which was a fun ride each way. It was so quiet and relaxing and at most there were 2-3 other people down there at the same time as we were. Most of the time it was our own private beach with no one around except for the waiter who was on top of bringing us drinks and snacks the second ours were almost empty. I could go on and on about our amazing trip, and would definitely love to go back time and time again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nycole J
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My husband and I visited Villa Caletas for an 8 day honeymoon in August. It was everything we had hoped for and more.

Privacy is key, here. We stayed at the Zephyr Palace, which is palace full of 6 or 7 luxury suites. It seemed that, at all times, there were only 2 or 3 rooms in the palace which were booked. Because the palace has its own beautiful infinity pool, this meant that we had the place to ourselves most days.

The style and accommodations are also top notch (despite the occasional musty smell that probably can't be avoided in a rainforest environment). Everything feels extremely European, so don't go expecting to have Costa Rican-themed rooms (though the service/staff are mostly locals, so that helps create the Pura Vida atmosphere!). Our suite was immaculately decorated in honor of "The 20th Century" and featured many one-of-a-kind decor items. We also had our own expansive balcony (with a panoramic ocean view!) as well as our own hot tub (also with an ocean view!).

The food and drink service was also wonderful. Because you are so high up on a cliff, you are separated from the ability to just head into town and choose a restaurant, so you are pretty much committed to either eating at the hotel restaurant or paying 40 bucks for a cab ride into Jaco (where, I am told, the food options are actually fairly limited anyway, though cheap). We opted to eat at the hotel. It is not cheap, and the prices there are definitely higher than restaurants down in Jaco, but it is so very worth it. Fish is freshly caught, everything is prepared perfectly, and the sunset and sunrise views are to die for.

Service is wonderful here. Truly impeccable. At every corner, there was someone offering to give us a hand, to give us a ride, or to get us a drink. We never waited service or help. They were willing to serve us anywhere, whether we were in the restaurant or just hanging out by ourselves at a secluded pool.

Developing a relationship with the concierge is important if you will be here for more than a few days. It is not the kind of place where a person could stay for an extended period of time without leaving for some excursions (because there is just not a lot to do at the hotel, and it is a bit secluded). We had some great excursions set up by the concierge to do zip lining, surfing, and a trip to see the monkeys at the national park.

Overall, our stay was great. From the food to the service, we felt we were being cared for by a wonderful resort.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Zephyr Palace have more privacy and, in my opinion, better views.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Carly G
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Zephyr Palace is appropriately named, because it certainly feels palatial! Perched on top of a mountain, we enjoyed incredible views from everywhere on the property - including our room. We'd rented a 4x4 for the trip (definitely recommended), so we drove down the mountain to the private beach lined with cabanas and lounge chairs. Some of our traveling group saw monkeys on the trek down to the beach, and we all spotted toucans and macaws from various places around the hotel. The Villa Calletas pool is very nice, but we always lounged in/by the private Zephyr Palace infinity pool (with more spectacular views!). We travelled during the off season (July), so our traveling group of 4 were essentially the only Zephyr Palace guests. Very attentive wait staff, with poolside and beachside service. Gustavo was extremely helpful. Everyone was friendly. The food was just okay, but you don't go to Costa Rica for the food! We stayed in the Egyptian Room. It was gorgeous, and the decorations were beautiful and very detailed.

Bottom line, I would recommend this hotel to friends, and I would visit again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank girlsgottatravel25
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Our most recent stay here was magnificent. The staff are attentive to your needs without being overbearing. They are a phone call away when you need anything at all, but allow guests tremendous privacy otherwise. We stayed in the 20 year suite. The only complaint is a faint mildew smell from the cover over the large private in-room jacuzzi. Other than that the accommodations were beyond expectations. With only 7 suites total we only saw other guests once or twice in a week at the Zephyr Palace. More frequently over at the Villas Calletas facilities. It was like having the entire grand palace to ourselves. Our large private balcony overlooked the lush valley below, the hotel's private beach and the blue Pacific beyond. Fantastic. The staff are extremely friendly and take great pride in serving your needs and making you feel special. From our room we could watch toucans, macaws, white faced monkeys, and numerous smaller creatures. If you have a 4WD vehicle you can drive to the private beach, otherwise take the hotel's shuttle because the road down is treacherous.

I can highly recommend this place and we will stay again the next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Tigerbacker70
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This vacation was wonderful! The grounds are beautiful, the location is secluded, the views are breathtaking, the pools were wonderful, the amphiteatre restaurant was nice, the spa was amazing, the staff were very polite (Especially all the waitstaff, Marjorie in the spa, Henry and Joani at the front desk) and they even put up with me attempting to remember all the spanish I learned 15 years ago. We were a little overwhelmed travelling to costa rica for the first time and from picking us up at the airport to the very last day they treated us like royalty and made us feel very special.

Our room was so beatuiful (Nuevo Mundo) and even had a hot tub on the porch overlooking the rainforest and ocean. We enjoyed our room and did not find that there were many mosquitos outside, or many bugs in our room considering we were in the jungle. There were quite a lot of Spiders on the villa calettas grounds, but none on the Zephyr Palace we saw.... but I'm not sure how much of that could really be helped, but it was a little awkward. We almost walked into a few and they are the size of your fist there!! You had to be pretty vigilant at all times. :-P

We loved the ride down to the ocean volcanic rock beach and the golf cart rides from Zephyr to the restaurant. The beautiful terracotta decorations were beautiful.

The fruit is so good there too! I ordered a fruit plate and a cappucino every morning.

This vacation and this hotel want you to have a good time and relax... and was in heaven, I looked at the view, watched butterflies play, swam in the infinity pool all day, relaxed on our porch, saw some wildlife, read a book, did an excursion, sat in our hot tub, had a massage, ate at our leisure... it was the ultimate in relaxation vacation.

I would definitely do it again if I can afford it!

Room Tip: I feel like any room at this place would be amazing.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SisterOllie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jaco
Hotel Villa Caletas
#1 of 40 in Jaco
Oceano Boutique Hotel & Gallery
Jaco Laguna Resort & Beach Club
Best Western Jaco Beach All Inclusive Resort

Been to Zephyr Palace Luxury Rental Mansion? Share your experiences!