“bad honeymoon experience”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Indianapolis
“bad honeymoon experience”
Reviewed January 12, 2009

I made a reservation with Playa Nicuesa through the eco hotels and lodge collection website. After receiving a confirmation email from them, I bought 2 expensive plane tickets. After a week of not having any charges made to my card, I emailed them on 2 separate occasions asking them to charge my credit card. The poor customer service and no response forced me to begin emailing the reservationist. Soon after, I discovered that they had over-booked their establishment, and I had plane tickets to a place where I had no lodging. My fiancé tried to rectify the situation by phone. No one helped us. A manager never returned any of his calls. No one from their establishment took responsibility for the huge mistake that they made.

We are disgusted by how Playa Nicuesa has treated us. We will never attempt to book with them again. Be careful about booking with them!

They caused us to have a very stressful honeymoon planning experience.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
8 Thank skphill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Cuidad Colon
Reviewed December 27, 2008

Where to begin? The cabins are gorgeous, as is the main building. The bar is so cool the cocktail hour is a great way to get acquainted with th other guests. The staff are universally polite, efficient, well-trained, and gregarious. Wildlife abounds. Kayaking, snorkeling & fishing were all great. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
North Carolina
Reviewed September 12, 2008

My husband and I visited the lodge in June for 4 nights. We arrived by car in Golfito, and were promptly picked up at the pre arranged point. The cabins were very comfortable, although a little nerve racking the first night due to all the sounds from outside. The staff were very hospitable, and friendly. We spent each evening trying one of Jonathan`s cocktail creations. The food was excellant , we didn`t have a bad meal while we were there. As for the wild life, it`s everywhere. Expect to be woken at dawn [4.30am in June] by over head howler monkeys. The best excursions we did while we were there, were the water fall hike and the river kayak trip. Definately a place worth visiting.Make sure you take a good flash light for the evenings, the paths can be quite dark and you never know what you will see!

• Liked — The rain forest experience
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
Reviewed July 30, 2008

My friend and I just returned from a 5-night "adventure package" at Playa Nicuesa and it was one of the better vacations I've ever had. The grounds are beautiful, the lodge is sturdy and aesthetically pleasing while remaining open to the jungle, and the staff were absolutely fantastic. We did all sorts of activities -- hiking, waterfall climbing, kayaking, horseback riding, snorkeling, and a few yoga classes -- and every day was a pleasure. The food was delicious, the evening "happy hours" were a fun time to meet and mingle with the other guests, and the guides were warm, friendly, and extremely knowledgeable. I almost hate to give it such a good review, because I'd like the place to remain small and affordable -- but I can't keep it to myself! Playa Nicuesa was simply magnifico. Thanks to everyone there!

• Liked — You're in the middle of a rainforest! Jungle, birds, monkeys, etc.
  • Disliked — You're in the middle of a rainforest! Rain, bugs, mud, etc.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Menomonee Falls, WI
Reviewed March 12, 2008

We stayed five nights at Playa Nicuesa as part of our honeymoon. Our cabin was the Tucan. What a great place! The staff was friendly and helpful to a person. If you're into birds, ask to be guided by Fraimon. He has eagle eyes, speaks good english, and is truly passionate about birding. The cabin is without screens, however netting over the beds is provided. We minimized our use of lights at night to avoid attracting insects. House Geckos appear at night to take care of any moths that do get in. We enjoyed watching them hunt as our pre-dinner entertainment. I never had to use mosquito repellent. You really have to have the proper expectations to enjoy this place. If you're looking for an air conditioned, sealed environment with all the comforts that provides, this is not the place. If you love being outside, listening to the birds chirp and all the wonderful sounds of the rainforest, look no further! I, cheapskate that I am, thought the price was a little steep until I got there. Now I realize it was worth every penny. The food was fresh and tasty. Any dietary needs will be accomodated. Scarlet macaws were daily visitors, as well as caiman, peccaries, koati, toucans. Tons of wildlife in a natural setting. Beware places billing themselves as ecolodges. Some places use this term rather loosely. Playa Nicuesa practices what it preaches. Highly recommended!

• Liked — The staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AV8OR_8
Oakland, California
Reviewed February 29, 2008

A magical place with some disappointments The grounds , staff and activities are wonderful. The room is very dark as you are in the middle of the forest surrounded by high foliage and unable to even see the sky. There are no screens anywhere so if you put on any lights to read the bugs come in. The breakfast and lunch were great but the dinner was mediocre and very over salted. The activities that are nearby include the botanical garden, an animal sanctuary, kayaking and a boat trip up the river to see hundreds of birds. The owners are very caring and are always very helpful.

• Liked — the activites and setting
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank abby7
Churchill, Manitoba
Reviewed January 13, 2008

Playa Nicuesa offers the best of both worlds - luxury accommodations with a focus on eco-friendly practices - immersed in lush rainforest along Costa Rica's Golfo Dulce. Highlights include expert on-site guide (Carlos), group meals and relaxed, comfortable atmosphere. Our balcony opened into the rainforest canopy and we were greeted by monkeys on several mornings. Our hosts, Michael and Donna, work hard to sustain best eco-tourism practices and contribute to the surrounding communities and the surrounding ecosystem. Definitely recommended for the luxury ecotraveller.

• Liked — Balance of luxury and eco-friendly practices
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Golfito
Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula
El Remanso Lodge
El Remanso Lodge
#3 of 42 in Osa Peninsula
Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge

Been to Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge? Share your experiences!