I recently had the wonderful opportunity of spending 5 nights with a yoga group at the beautiful Nicuesa Lodge. Only accessible by boat, it's very remote. You are IN THE JUNGLE! No wifi or cell service. We were met at the airstrip in Puerto Jimenez by Daniel - such a kind and gentle soul. He put it perfectly: "We may not have wifi, but I'm sure you'll find a better connection." Those words couldn't have been more accurate, and they stayed with me during my entire experience. The lodge is a pillar of sustainability and is designed to exist in harmony with the environment. Electricity is provided by solar energy. A solar drying room is used to dry all of the wash. Three delicious meals were prepared every day by the incredibly talented chef with an emphasis on fresh fish, tropical fruits and local cuisine (do the Edible Garden tour!). There ware tons of amazing wildlife-viewing opportunities: scarlet macaws, blue morpho butterflies, howler monkeys - we didn't see them but could certainly hear them... very Jurassic Park! One day, on the boat, we found ourselves completely surrounded by a pod of about 100 dolphins. They were following us, playing in the wake, some leaping straight out of the water. Another day, we were swimming off the dock (a must! Especially at night because of the phosphorescence) and were "chased" out of the water by a crocodile. Turns out it was just Fernando, the local croc who prefers to keep to himself. Yoga on the beach platform was lovely, with the waves crashing around us. When it rained, the staff allowed us to move up to the main deck. Massage - done by the wonderful and lovely Anna Lucia - was also done on the yoga deck... so relaxing! At first, I was disappointed by the torrential rains that would arrive every afternoon. However, I soon discovered that it was the perfect opportunity for afternoon naps... usually on a hammock somewhere. Everything about this place was wonderful... but the staff really made the biggest impression. Daniel, thanks so much for your kindness throughout the whole week. You really helped to make the experience what it was. Gustavo, I really enjoyed the incredible hike to the waterfall (that was my favorite tour) and time we spent getting to know each other at the bar. Mello, you are such a sweet and attentive bartender. Thanks for putting up with us :) Erick, your knowledge of the area and it's ecosystem is marvelous. I can really see the love you have for your job. Beautiful Ana Lucia, thanks for one of the best massages I've had in a LOOONG time. Joe, we didn't meet until the end but you had a great way of making us feel like we were old friends. There are many more people to thank but I don't remember all their names :) Each and every member of the staff couldn't have been more welcoming, accommodating and attentive. Their genuine love for the environment, the lodge and its purpose evident. I cannot recommend Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge enough, and I swear I WILL return one day. I came away from this experience feeling, not only relaxed, but deeply inspired. Thanks guys!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Nicuesa is an environmentally-friendly eco-lodge set on a 165-acre private rainforest preserve on the undeveloped Pacific Coast of Golfo Dulce in southern Costa Rica. Our jungle & sea location provides a unique adventure and nature vacation: the front yard is a gulf right off the Pacific Ocean, and the backyard consists of thousands of acres of pristine tropical rainforest. Overall, the experience embraces conservation and harmony with the natural environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Hotel Golfito
- Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Golfito
- Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge Costa Rica/Golfito