This stay was the highlight of my recent month long tour of Costa Rica.
Apart from the natural beauty, the staff of the lodge made this experience extra special.
From boat pick up to leaving nothing was too much trouble, and great service was offered in a laid back, unobtrusive, friendly way.
The guides are knowledgeable; there is a great yoga deck by the sea with a lovely teacher (thank you Tobey).
The hotel is small and guest take set meals together. This is not normally my “kind of thing” but it was great, all the other guests seemed to be like minded and the food was simple but delicious and prepared with fresh, often home produced produce and fish caught that day by staff and guests featured strongly.
The rooms and bungalows are almost in the forest and are lovely with great en suite almost outdoor showers and with peaceful balconies or terraces.
The philosophy of the hotel really seems to be put into practice here so don’t expect air con or huge baths and with such high humidity you will be wearing damp clothes all the time-but this is a small price to pay to be so close to nature.
The gardens and beach are full of wildlife from howler monkeys to crabs and numerous frogs that seem to share everything including the wine glasses and showers. Expect to embrace bugs rather than exclude them (sometimes literally).
We saw coatis who seem to have no fear at all, agoutis, howler monkeys, turtles, crocodiles, iguanas etc. etc. etc.
There is a coral reef which can be easily kayaked to from the lodge (at no charge) for excellent snorkelling- although the numerous tiny jelly fish can make things a bit uncomfortable after a while (but do not cause long lasting discomfort).
Mosquitoes are surprisingly few.
There are good trails in the area from the lodges.
The beach/sea is clean and full of fish and crabs. You can dive directly into the sea from the small jetty at the lodge. It is a good idea to be out of the water by 5 though, as the crocodile arrives, usually at about 6 every evening (really, it is true, we saw him every evening).
I can’t rave about this place too much, and when I have had five years to save up, I fully intend to return (if they will have me)
The only possible down side is the price of any additional activities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playa Nicuesa is an environmentally-friendly eco-lodge set on a 165-acre private rainforest preserve on the undeveloped Pacific Coast of Golfo Dulce in southern Costa Rica. Our jungle & sea location provides a unique adventure and nature vacation: the front yard is a gulf right off the Pacific Ocean, and the backyard consists of thousands of acres of pristine tropical rainforest. Overall, the experience embraces conservation and harmony with the natural environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Booking.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Hotel Golfito
- Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Golfito
- Playa Nicuesa Rainforest Lodge Costa Rica/Golfito