“Paradise in Zancudo” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Golfito
New York City, New York
“Paradise in Zancudo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

A friend suggested we go to Zancudo Lodge last week and I had no idea what to expect but was shocked and delighted to find myself at such a beautiful and well run hotel on a remote beach in Costa Rica. Everything is first class from the moment we arrived by boat at a private dock. The owner Goldine and her staff could not have been more welcoming and accommodating. Food and drinks were delicious. The decor is so stylish and comfortable. The location is made for R&R unless you are one of the many fishermen who make their way to this first class fishing lodge. Even is you don't fish, this is the place for you. I highly suggest snagging one of the lounges on the raised platforms overlooking the beach for an afternoon of relaxation. I am absolutely going back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank 77adam
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
It was all our pleasure! Thank you so much for your visit and we appreciate your very kind words. All of us enjoyed having you and your friends as our guests and we hope to see you back at the Lodge in the very near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Port Angeles, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I was at the lodge in march and it was on of the best trips of my life. The staff and the food was first class. As for the fishing it was out of the world. My captian Elvis was the best he is a great fisherman. Gregg and Goldine make things so easy for you. See you in December. Thanks JackHart.

Room Tip: I like the lower floor the best.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Thankyou so much for your recent visit. We're so happy that you had a great time and that both the fishing and the accommodations met your expectations! We realize that you have a choice to visit any fishing location and we are so pleased that you chose to visit us this year. We look forward to seeing you again in December!
South Haven, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

And even getting even better. I have been at this lodge multiple times.With Greg on the fishing side and Goldine on the resort side they bend over backwards to make the stay outstanding. Every trip they have improved some service or amenity. Clean, safe, beautiful, with attentive staff. In the past it has been a guys fishing trip but I can't wait to take my wife there! I didn't rate the spa but the wives of 2 couples from England reported to me it was very good.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
We're so happy that you enjoyed your trip to the Lodge this season and we are ever so humbled for your return visits! We look forward to meeting your wife hopefully next year. Until then, thankyou very much for your past, present and future support!
Tarpon Springs, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Zancudo Lodge has done it again: Provide a superb experience for fishing and relaxing in the jungle. This was our third visit to Zancudo. Last visit was so wonderful that we could not imagine how it could get any better. But it did!

The décor was improved upon (didn't think it possible to be any more beautifully detailed), bicycles are now available for use, all the staff is even more attentive and available for your every need. The trees and shrubs have filled in and are beautifully manicured, surrounding you with beauty at every turn. The rooms and entire resort is clean, spacious, comfortable and very attractive. The attention to detail does not miss a beat. For example: A lighted makeup mirror in your room in the jungle? Delightful little packages of homemade cookies left nightly on the table in your room? These are only examples of the types of details I keep referring to, but you will notice so many more.

My husband was in his absolute glory fishing with Captain Tito. I accompanied them a couple days, even though I typically do not fish (I'm the photographer). Tito is knowledgeable and a lot of fun. He helped to make it a really good experience for me and an unforgettable experience for my husband. The boat was comfortable and clean.

The fish caught during the day became dinner. The meals are gourmet quality and beautifully presented. The freshness of the ingredients is apparent.

All the staff speaks excellent English. Special thanks to them for helping me practice my Spanish! (Lots of practicing to do before returning next year!)

Goldine and Gregg go to great lengths to make all their guests feel pampered. By the time we left, we felt like we were saying goodbye to our family. It was that special.

Thank you does not seem like enough expression of our gratitude for our outstanding experience at Zancudo Lodge. Kudos to you, Goldine and Gregg!

Room Tip: No bad rooms!
1 Thank Originalonso
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
The entire staff at the Lodge joins us in thanking you for returning year after year to the Lodge. We very much appreciate your kind words and we hope that next year, when you return to your "home" in Zancudo, there will be more amenities awaiting! We all look forward to seeing you both again next year!
Bridgewater, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

My wife and I just got back from 6 days at Zancudo, 3 of which were fishing days (just me). I have never posted a Tripadviser review before, but I wanted to acknowledge the great time we had. First and foremost, the service was simply outstanding. Costa Rica is known for its friendly people, and granted this is not your average hotel, but everyone (and I mean everyone) was courteous, helpful, accommodating, friendly, and more than eager to make our stay enjoyable. Whether it was Ariel delivering a pot of coffee to our room at 4:15AM to get me ready for fishing, or Ryan delivering great drinks at the bar, or Dayane helping us with Zip-line arrangements, we could not have been happier. And of course owners Greg and Goldine likewise were always available to answer questions and take care of us. Especially important to my wife, who has food allergies to gluten and dairy, the chef, kitchen and service staff went out of their way to take care of her dietary limitations. The food was always good (perhaps a bit too much mahi mahi and fish in general). The fried whole grouper fantastic. So was the steak. The only surprise was that I had heard how good the pork was (banana-fed), but none was served at the restaurant. There were other staff I wanted to thank as well, but I just don’t remember their names.

The lodge itself was very accommodating. Everything was clean and top notch. Complimentary daily laundry was very much appreciated (especially after fishing!). The dining area was open and airy with great atmosphere. The pool was nicely situated. Cool looking plants were everywhere. My wife had no trouble reading by the pool, watching the birds or walking on the beach while I was fishing. Of course there were tours and suchy available as well. There were also some great people we met while there. I am pretty sure I will be going on an Alaskan fishing trip with one of them next year! Some people did not fish either so my wife had some company. Since the lodge is small, you could always find privacy, but we seemed to gravitate to new friends. The beach seemed safe, and rarely had more than a couple people walking or jogging on it as far as the eye can see in either direction. Sunsets were facing the beach, from the dining area and bar and provided great photographic moments.

As for the fishing, which was frankly my main purpose in going, I was able to catch my first sailfish (just a few, but a couple were 90 – 100 pounds) and roosterfish (one was 30), as well as mahi mahi, including one estimated by the captain at 35 pounds that jumped off the gaff at boatside and into the ocean as the mate was trying to bring him on board! There were a couple other species as well. The action was slower than usual and slower than I expected, but I was very happy with the results nonetheless. The captain and mate I had (Lindor and Jerry) were top notch and did everything they could to make me successful. I very much appreciate their efforts. Lots of things to see. Lindor took some extra time to show me a whale and a calf that were breaching. Beautiful landscape. Thanks again for a great trip. We hope to visit again.

• 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank andy h
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
We are so pleased that both you and your wife had a wonderful time at the Lodge. Costa Rica is a friendly and beautiful country and we are so proud to be a part of the amazing offerings! We sincerely hope to see you back at the Lodge in the very near future.
Fort Worth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a 3-day fishing trip to Zancudo Lodge and it was indeed a trip of a life time. The Lodge itself was absolutely beautiful and maticulously maintained. Everyone at the lodge from the front staff to the waiters and gardeners were very friendly and helpful. The food was wonderful - even the packed lunches on the boat were great. Now for the fishing - the very best I have ever encountered! Just in our boat with Captain Elvis, we managed to reel in 10 Sailfish, 3 Dorado, 1 Blue Marlin, 1 AmberJack, and 1 Roosterfish - and in just 3 days. Fantastic is all we can say! The Marlin was the icing on the cake - and caught only 14 miles out. Last but not least the owners, Greg & Goldine, were extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and truly cared that our stay was wonderful. I can not believe that there is a more wonderful place and experience in this part of the world.

Room Tip: Regardless of where I stay, I always choose upstairs and end of the "hall". At Zancudo we...
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
It was sincerely all our pleasure! The staff joins me in thanking you and your family for your visit ......it was so much fun having you all there at the Lodge. We really hope that we have a chance to serve you again in the very near future!
Westerly, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

We just spent 4 days at Zancudo Lodge. There is nothing better, the staff and facility are amazing, they make every day an adventure! Must return soon! There were days full of activities, fishing and relaxation, you cant miss at Zancudo Lodge

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you so much for your visit and for your review.
We're so glad that you had a great time and that your days were filled with activities. Hopefully you also had enough time to relax! We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Golfito
Hotel Casa Roland Golfito
#7 of 12 in Golfito
4.0 of 5 stars 26 reviews
Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
Hotel y Restaurant Samoa del Sur

Been to The Zancudo Lodge? Share your experiences!