The Zancudo Lodge
$762
$584
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
La Purruja Lodge(Golfito)(Great Value!)
$34
Hotel Samoa del Sur(Golfito)(Great Value!)
$62
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsworld classtunafishing tripblue marlinrooster fishfive staramazing fishingbucket listcosta ricahis wifecan't wait to go backthe entire staffavid fishermanlive baitwatching the sunsetlarge doradocubera snapper
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I've been going to The Zancudo Lodge since the year Gregg purchased it.. and wow what a transformation has happened. When we first went to the lodge, it was nice (or we would have never returned) and the fishing was great. Yes, compared to what it is now, it was a bit crude.. a fishing lodge!
Each subsequent year the lodge has gotten better, boats better, equipment better, staff fantastic and fishing is still an Awesome Adventure.
This last year on a whim, 4 of us decided to go, called Gregg and he had some cancellations on the date we wanted, so off we went with only a week’s notice! It was late in the season, but the lodge was crowded and the fish were biting. It is now a truly awesome “RESORT” experience and there is nothing in the region to touch it for accommodations, food or fishing. I must admit I do miss the quaintness of the “old fishing lodge”, but all the improvements, inflation and so many improvements, Gregg and his wife have managed to keep costs in check – it is a real bargain.
I love to go there to fish, but I also just like to chill out and hang around the lodge, walk the beach, have a cold drink by the pool or read a book in one of the hammocks + other local activities. I’m headed back in January ’13.. and can’t wait. Don’t know what I like the most.. the anticipation of the trip, being so close to nature, the remoteness, or hooking and releasing a huge fish!

Room Tip: All the rooms are Excellent!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank whw0912
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thanks so much for your review and it's an honor for us to welcome you back year after year. We're always trying to upgrade our level of service each season so that returning customers will always have something new and special to experience. The staff and i are looking forward to your return in 2013!

Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

A true 5 star hotel, I almost needed to pinch myself! I never imagined that in the middle of the jungle you could find such luxury. The owners lead by example and make sure your stay is exceeds expectations, and all the staff follow the owners lead in making sure you feel specail and welcome. The bar drinks to the gourmet meals are also way over the top.
I arrived by boat and was met by the hotel's owner, staff and a troup of wild howler monkeys. All of this and I have not even gotten to talk about the perfect rooms or mention the world class fishing we experienced at Zancudo Lodge with the greatest fishing captains in Golfito.

You will not regret a decision to visit Zancudo Lodge, I only regret having to leave.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Hellsbay
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Thank you so much for your review! We had the best time with you and your group from the IGFA and we are all looking forward to seeing you back in the very near future. We appreciate your very kind words and we will continue to do our best in making your next trip an even more pleasurable experience.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

This is the most wonderful place to stay in Costa Rica. What a beautiful gem I found. The hostess was fabulous. The food was just amazing. I did not expect to find such a clean and comfortable bed. This lodge is more like a modern hotel. It is right by the beach, so I got to enjoy the beautiful sunset everyday there. It was so beautiful. Just beautiful.

Room Tip: They have a beautiful suite!!! It is a MUST see!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

The staff and I are so thrilled that you had a memorable stay at the Lodge. We do appreciate the very kind comments and it encourages us to do even better the next time you visit. We hope we can serve you again in the very near future.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We have been to resorts from Indo to Fiji to Mex and through most of Central America... This trip was one of the best...

The grounds are botanically rich in tropical splendor, the resort absolutely sparkles and glistens in the midst of this tropical locale, the staff is at your service from the time you rise to the time you choose to go to sleep, the chefs are world class and the activities are endless...

We have special appreciation for Gregg and Goldine's attention to detail and their creation of a world class lodge. Ever was at our service whenever we approached the lodge, the rooms were luxurious and well appointed, and then there was great surfing, world class fishing, hiking the rain forest, hiking the waterfall, first class boatmen (miss you already Tito), and if that isn't enough, there is a well appointed game room, a video room, bocci ball courts, stand-up paddling, kayaking, and...

...well you are not likely to run out of tremendous opportunities to have some fun...

You should go there, we can't wait to go back.

John, Eileen, Ryann, Troy

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

It was pretty great for us too........to see how happy everyone in your family was at the Lodge! Nothing gives us more pleasure than that! We thank you for such an amazing review and we hope to see all of you back in the very near future. Our regards to everyone.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband is an avid fisherman and loves to travel to exotic locales to fish. I love the outdoors and eco-tourism. We both love chilling on the beach and experiencing local cultures and regional cuisine. We've found no better place to experience all of this than the Zancudo Lodge. Gregg and Goldine, the lodge's owners, make every guest feel welcome and the staff is probably the friendliest and most accommodating I've ever experienced. (It's not every trip where you're hugging the bartender and waiters when you leave!)

After a short flight from San Jose, you're picked up by one of the lodge's captains and you take a brief, scenic boat ride over to the lodge itself. We were there in the midst of renovations and experienced no interruption in meals, fishing, etc. (I've seen photos of the finished product and it looks fantastic.) The rooms are perfect - A/C, satellite TV (not that you spend a lot of time in the room), a gorgeous shower and comfortable beds. The pool area is a great place to overlook the beach and enjoy a cocktail (I recommend the local beer Bavaria). The food, featuring many regional favorites (and lots of fish) is delicious (my husband can't get enough of the buffalo wings!)

If you want to catch fish - this is definitely the place. I, myself, am not a "big" fishergirl, but Zancudo's expert captains helped me land a 30 lb. rooster. My husband caught a bunch of fish (a variety of species). All of the boats are equipped with everything a fisherman needs (lures, rods, etc.) and the captains know where the fish are. We've never been skunked and always come back to dock tired yet satisfied with the day's catches.

The lodge is surrounded by breathtaking flora and fauna and the beach views can't be beat. If you're into eco-tourism, there's lots to do (I highly recommend the stand up paddleboards) and if you're a surfer, the waves are huge. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
gmuff, Owner at The Zancudo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

All of us at the Lodge thank you for taking the time to review us. We are so pleased that you had a good time and it was our great pleasure to serve you. We are constantly upgrading the facilities, menu of activities, cuisine and most importantly service levels to make each season a fresh, new and pleasurable experience so we hope to welcome you back again in the very near future.