The first impressions, when entering the lodge area, are the heat and the humidity. How an earth do they get anything dry here? (they have a drier). Then you check in with the efficient and very helpful staff, your suitcase is carried to your cabin and you can relax with your first beer.
The lodge is owned by an Austrian couple and it does a lot of co-operation with a couple of universities in Austria and Germany. It is a true eco-lodge and that means certain things: It is somewhat basic, no a/c, the water in the shower is ambient, not hot, there is no cellphone coverage etc. This is a place where you need to shower at least four times and use minimum of three t-shirts every day. You sweat continuously. You accept those and you will have the time of your life!
The lodge itself has some 14 rooms, each accommodating three people. So it is not large and I was extremely lucky to have the whole lodge and its staff to myself the first 26 hours (not that I counted them!) before a group of some 20 Brits came there the next day. It had been fully booked the day before so my luck was unbelievable. Just imagine the peace and sounds of nature when sitting on the porch...
The price includes three meals a day and a guided walk. The meals were all done with local veggies and other raw materials and were very good indeed. Lunch and dinner both had three courses so one does not go hungry here! There was always some exotic juice for lunch or dinner. Or you could get yourself a beer or wine from the bar.
The walk with Chico along the Ocelot trail was a pure joy. As I was alone there, we walked together and he showed me frogs, lizards and other animals (even a "harmless" snake) I would have missed for sure, had I done the trail by myself. He was amazing with the birds and this place must have a huge variety of them around. I was told a Dutch bird watcher had recorded a lot of birds at this lodge for his app of "Costa Rican birds" (15 hours of various bird calls....).
Locationwise this is right in the middle of forest. It is not that close to anything so not that many people find themselves at this far corner of the country. So both the national park and the lodge have remained untouched and a pure gem. I loved it, every minute of it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Esquinas Lodge in southern Costa Rica, only 3 miles off the Interamerican Highway and 30 minutes from Golfito airport, is part of a model project combining conservation, ecotourism, research, reforestation and community aid. The lodge is 100% carbon-neutral and has 16 rooms, a restaurant, a bar and a pool. The 35-acre private reserve, surrounded by 2500 acres of untouched rainforest, attracts many mammals and over 200 species of birds. Activities include hiking, horseback riding, birdwatching, and boat and kayak tours in nearby Golfo Dulce. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Esquinas Rainforest Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Esquinas Rainforest Hotel Golfito
- Esquinas Rainforest Lodge Costa Rica/Golfito