My husband, 16 year old daughter and I stayed for a week (July 9 - 15) at Esquinas Lodge. We spent a few nights in other parts of Costa Rica before flying down to Golfito. Our time at Esquinas was the highlight of our trip. There are few places in the world where you can stay in the middle of the rainforest. It was a delight to fall asleep to the sounds of the bats and awaken to the twitterings of the humming birds. You are steps away from a variety of trail heads. We were the only Americans staying at the Lodge the week we came. If you are looking for Disneyland - don't come here. There are no paved, easy trails. No fast food. However, if you are looking to immerse yourself in another world for a while and to experience a slower pace of being - then Esquinas is a wonderful place. We can't praise our tour guides Mario and Chico enough. Their English is excellent and my daughter enjoyed having the opportunity to speak with them in Spanish while I tried out my college German with other guests. Chico is a fantastic dancer and we enjoyed a couple evenings of dancing (Cumbia, Merengue, Salsa) in the open air lodge. We did two boat tours (Mangrove and Dolphin) during our stay and saw a fantastic variety of wildlife including crocodiles, pods of dolphins, macaws, toucans, etc. We also did a bike ride to a waterfall owned by a very kind, talented man who was willing to share his guitar and singing talents with us one evening. We enjoyed the night hike and bird hikes and by the end of our time were able to pick out the calls of a half dozen different frogs and a dozen different birds from the cacophony of sounds around us. The nearby research center gave our a daughter a glimpse into the life of a field researcher and we enjoyed visiting the nearby village of LaGamba. The food was excellent and plentiful. The cooks are very willing to accommodate dietary restrictions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Esquinas Lodge in southern Costa Rica, only 3 miles off the Interamerican Highway and 30 minutes from Golfito airport, is part of a model project combining conservation, ecotourism, research, reforestation and community aid. The lodge is 100% carbon-neutral and has 16 rooms, a restaurant, a bar and a pool. The 35-acre private reserve, surrounded by 2500 acres of untouched rainforest, attracts many mammals and over 200 species of birds. Activities include hiking, horseback riding, birdwatching, and boat and kayak tours in nearby Golfo Dulce. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Esquinas Rainforest Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Esquinas Rainforest Hotel Golfito
- Esquinas Rainforest Lodge Costa Rica/Golfito