We stayed at Esquinas for two nights to enjoy the rainforest and the fantastic birdlife around the lodge. The accommodation consists of simple but comfortable rooms that are surrounded by beautiful forest. The lodge has its roots in an Austrian conservation programme and most of the guests are German or Austrian. This results in a somewhat odd combination of German and Costa Rican styles, like being served German food in the middle of the rainforest, or the fact that most guests simply assume you speak German.
Birdwatching in the surroundings of the lodge is absolutely fantastic. The endemic black-cheeked ant-tanager is easily found, as well as a superb selection of other species like great curassow, boat-billed heron, charming hummingbird, orange-collared manakin, white-throated shrike-tanager, spot-crowned euphonia etc. The rice fields will yield some good open-country species like red-breasted blackbird and several species of seed-eater.
The most disappointing fact of Esquinas was the poor state of the trails. During our stay two trails were blocked and some other were poorly maintained or not well signposted. This reduced the possibilities for hiking and birding, which were the main reasons to visit Esquinas in the first place.
All in all, a nice lodge in great surroundings, but trail maintenance should be better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Esquinas Lodge in southern Costa Rica, only 3 miles off the Interamerican Highway and 30 minutes from Golfito airport, is part of a model project combining conservation, ecotourism, research, reforestation and community aid. The lodge is 100% carbon-neutral and has 16 rooms, a restaurant, a bar and a pool. The 35-acre private reserve, surrounded by 2500 acres of untouched rainforest, attracts many mammals and over 200 species of birds. Activities include hiking, horseback riding, birdwatching, and boat and kayak tours in nearby Golfo Dulce. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Esquinas Rainforest Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Esquinas Rainforest Hotel Golfito
- Esquinas Rainforest Lodge Costa Rica/Golfito