All reviews bioluminescence tour gelato resident biologist outdoor shower plunge pool golfo dulce every meal tree frogs ceiba tree london restaurant poison dart highly recommend this place to anyone italian food calm bay the local hot spots locally grown produce blue sky
Reviewed July 24, 2018 via mobile

From all our travels, our stay at Golfo Dulce Retreat will remain one of our all-time favorites.
This place is so special for so many reasons :
- First, the incredible staff: the owners, Chantal and Simon, did everything they could to make us feel so comfortable and make us have the best time.
We also greatly enjoyed the other employees, from the biologists which were eager to teach us many things about the nature and the animals, to the local guides which were specific to each activity to make it very special every time.
- The delicious food, definitely the best we have had in Costa Rica ! Everything is home made, the food is varied and so tasty. We were so excited every time we were served a meal, from breakfast, to lunch, to tea-time and dinner !
- The retreat is in such a remote place, so calm and far away from other tourists. We are not the biggest adventurers, but we really enjoyed discovering all this wildlife and we were so amazed at the variety of animals that we were brought to seeing, from the monkeys and toucans right next to our cabin one day, to all the Dolphins playing around the boat after our fishing activity the next day.
- We had taken a package with several activities (artisanal fishing, night tour, mangroves tour, waterfall hike) and we loved each and every one of them. Everything was so well organized and so much fun!
It is difficult to find all the words to describe this amazing place, but really, do not hesitate twice and book your stay at the retreat, you will not be disappointed !

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2018

We have been coming to Costa Rica for 20 years and while we still love the country we can see tourism taking its toll in many places especially during high season. Luckily Golfo Dulce remains to this day an unspoilt gem. So wild, solitary and unique. Within this gem we have discovered another one this year - Golfo Dulce Retreat! We had an amazing experience which went well beyond what we were expecting from such a remote lodge located in the middle of primary rainforest. All the structures are wonderful and really well thought out by Simon and Chantal the two welcoming owners. We really enjoyed the food which was excellent, the swimming pool immersed in the rainforest and the little beach huts so relaxing and perfectly located right on the beach with great views of the ocean. Thank you so much for such a memorable time. We will be back.

Room Tip: go for the suite. the plunge pool is great!
  • Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2018

We had a phenomenal time at Golfo Dulce Retreat. The hotel easily ranks among the 5 best places we have ever visited. The setting of the Retreat is amazing - wild, prisitne and incredibly private. There are only three cabins in total so the chance of coming across any of the other guests is minimal. For us this was really a plus point especially coming from the more touristy parts los Costa Rica such as Manuel Antonio and Uvita. The Cabinas are wonderful and feel truly personal with an incredible attention to detail. If you want to step away from the feeling of chain hotels (even the best ones like Four Seasons!) this is absolutely the place to go to. And the food… OMG! What Chantelle serves on a daily basis is truly spectacular. She must be one of the best Chefs in Costa Rica. Except that she isn’t… She is a lot more than that! If you then remind yourself you are in the middle of a rainforest with boat access only then the whole experience becomes truly remarkable. As a rule, we never go back to the same place when on holiday. But boy will we have to change that. BRAVO!

Room Tip: all the cabins are special
  • Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2018

Having to appeal to a family age ranging from 48 to 4 is never easy, but we hit the jackpot with Golfo Dulce. Glorious swimming pool and hammocks to swing in for the little one, a very friendly Scarlet Macaw and other wildlife for my 10 year old wannabe vet, hiking and kayaking for my 13 year old, and technicolour flora and fauna and a beautiful cabin with plunge pool for the 48 year olds. Plus the early morning sea swimming complete with mist rising off the rainforest, pelicans and flying fish for all. If that wasn't enough the genius touch - delicious Italian cooking. The total package. We all loved it.

• Stayed: April 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2018

We spent just over a week at Golfo Dulce Retreat this spring and had the most incredible time. The accommodations really are as amazing as they look. The cabins are light and airy, beautifully decorated, and super comfortable. I wasn’t sure how I would feel about the outdoor shower, but it was very private and I absolutely loved it. You can watch the toucans in the trees while you shower, it’s magical! The cabins are set back along the tree line and surrounded by flowering plants and from my cabin deck I saw toucans, macaws, crested guan, and tons of butterflies (including blue morphos) every day. The food was incredible, and they catered to my vegetarian diet. I did not expect such luxury accommodations in such a remote setting.

Maybe the best part of this location is how accommodating the hosts are. We were able to decide last minute if we wanted to add additional excursions, or change our plans if we felt like doing something else. Our schedule was not super rigid as long as the boat or guide was available, which is how a vacation should be. We did many of their excursions including the hike to the waterfall, fishing, snorkeling, the bioluminescence tour, garden walk, night hike, and the mangrove tour. Each tour was fantastic, though my favorite was the snorkeling and the guided hike to the waterfall because our guide was so knowledgeable and helped spot more wildlife than I would have on my own. The snorkeling was great and easy since the water was so clear and calm and there were tons of interesting fish to see. They had a visiting biologist Luka who was also a wealth of information and was always happy to help us identify the different wildlife we saw throughout the day. I’m an entomologist and they even went out of their way to set up a sheet and light outside at night to try to see interesting insects.

We spent many mornings kayaking in the calm bay and I walked the trail every afternoon while my husband escaped the heat by lounging in the beach cabana and reading. Every day I saw new and interesting wildlife including capuchin monkeys, agoutis, spider monkeys, several species of snakes and lizards, and not to mention all the different birds and insects. My primary goal was to see and record as much wildlife as possible, and I was really happy with what we saw. They have tons of different guide books for the different wildlife in the area which was a wonderful resource we enjoyed using. Getting around the grounds of the resort itself was easy as it was pretty flat. I was recovering from a foot injury and found it easy to get around the trails.

We’ve been on many vacations around the world, but this one ranks as one of our most incredible trips. The accommodations, food, excursions, hosts, guides, and location were all incredible.

Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple