All reviews outdoor shower bioluminescence tour gelato resident biologist golfo dulce every meal scarlet macaws ceiba tree london restaurant poison dart highly recommend this place to anyone italian food fresh water swimming pool calm bay the local hot spots locally grown produce blue sky
Reviewed July 23, 2018

We have been coming to Costa Rica for 20 years and while we still love the country we can see tourism taking its toll in many places especially during high season. Luckily Golfo Dulce remains to this day an unspoilt gem. So wild, solitary and unique. Within this gem we have discovered another one this year - Golfo Dulce Retreat! We had an amazing experience which went well beyond what we were expecting from such a remote lodge located in the middle of primary rainforest. All the structures are wonderful and really well thought out by Simon and Chantal the two welcoming owners. We really enjoyed the food which was excellent, the swimming pool immersed in the rainforest and the little beach huts so relaxing and perfectly located right on the beach with great views of the ocean. Thank you so much for such a memorable time. We will be back.

Room tip: go for the suite. the plunge pool is great!
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2018

We had a phenomenal time at Golfo Dulce Retreat. The hotel easily ranks among the 5 best places we have ever visited. The setting of the Retreat is amazing - wild, prisitne and incredibly private. There are only three cabins in total so the chance of coming across any of the other guests is minimal. For us this was really a plus point especially coming from the more touristy parts los Costa Rica such as Manuel Antonio and Uvita. The Cabinas are wonderful and feel truly personal with an incredible attention to detail. If you want to step away from the feeling of chain hotels (even the best ones like Four Seasons!) this is absolutely the place to go to. And the food… OMG! What Chantelle serves on a daily basis is truly spectacular. She must be one of the best Chefs in Costa Rica. Except that she isn’t… She is a lot more than that! If you then remind yourself you are in the middle of a rainforest with boat access only then the whole experience becomes truly remarkable. As a rule, we never go back to the same place when on holiday. But boy will we have to change that. BRAVO!

Room tip: all the cabins are special
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2018

Having to appeal to a family age ranging from 48 to 4 is never easy, but we hit the jackpot with Golfo Dulce. Glorious swimming pool and hammocks to swing in for the little one, a very friendly Scarlet Macaw and other wildlife for my 10 year old wannabe vet, hiking and kayaking for my 13 year old, and technicolour flora and fauna and a beautiful cabin with plunge pool for the 48 year olds. Plus the early morning sea swimming complete with mist rising off the rainforest, pelicans and flying fish for all. If that wasn't enough the genius touch - delicious Italian cooking. The total package. We all loved it.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2018

We spent just over a week at Golfo Dulce Retreat this spring and had the most incredible time. The accommodations really are as amazing as they look. The cabins are light and airy, beautifully decorated, and super comfortable. I wasn’t sure how I would feel about the outdoor shower, but it was very private and I absolutely loved it. You can watch the toucans in the trees while you shower, it’s magical! The cabins are set back along the tree line and surrounded by flowering plants and from my cabin deck I saw toucans, macaws, crested guan, and tons of butterflies (including blue morphos) every day. The food was incredible, and they catered to my vegetarian diet. I did not expect such luxury accommodations in such a remote setting.

Maybe the best part of this location is how accommodating the hosts are. We were able to decide last minute if we wanted to add additional excursions, or change our plans if we felt like doing something else. Our schedule was not super rigid as long as the boat or guide was available, which is how a vacation should be. We did many of their excursions including the hike to the waterfall, fishing, snorkeling, the bioluminescence tour, garden walk, night hike, and the mangrove tour. Each tour was fantastic, though my favorite was the snorkeling and the guided hike to the waterfall because our guide was so knowledgeable and helped spot more wildlife than I would have on my own. The snorkeling was great and easy since the water was so clear and calm and there were tons of interesting fish to see. They had a visiting biologist Luka who was also a wealth of information and was always happy to help us identify the different wildlife we saw throughout the day. I’m an entomologist and they even went out of their way to set up a sheet and light outside at night to try to see interesting insects.

We spent many mornings kayaking in the calm bay and I walked the trail every afternoon while my husband escaped the heat by lounging in the beach cabana and reading. Every day I saw new and interesting wildlife including capuchin monkeys, agoutis, spider monkeys, several species of snakes and lizards, and not to mention all the different birds and insects. My primary goal was to see and record as much wildlife as possible, and I was really happy with what we saw. They have tons of different guide books for the different wildlife in the area which was a wonderful resource we enjoyed using. Getting around the grounds of the resort itself was easy as it was pretty flat. I was recovering from a foot injury and found it easy to get around the trails.

We’ve been on many vacations around the world, but this one ranks as one of our most incredible trips. The accommodations, food, excursions, hosts, guides, and location were all incredible.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2018

Our family along with another family went to Golfo Dulce this past spring break. In every aspect our trip exceeded beyond our expectations from the beautiful setting to the lovely accommodations to the delicious and healthy food to an array of activities to partake in. Everyone in our party loved it and all want to return. The owners are delightful people who bring an energy and enthusiasm to Golfo Ducle that is infectious.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel