“If you are seeking a remote and tranquil getaway then don't look any further, Dolphin Qwest is the spot.”
Review of Dolphin Quest

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Golfito
Dolphin Quest
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We loved every minute of our stay at Dolphin Quest and our time with Rey and Jose and the german sheppards, Zuess and Rex. It was a bit of a sensory overload coming from the mountains of Colorado to the green and lush diversity of the jungle and ocean. Scarlet macaws cackled and spotted the sky with flashes of red and blue. Toads sang us to sleep each night. The caymans helped us finish off the delicious snapper and mackeral dinner. Waking up to the shouts of howler monkeys and then heading down for a breakfast of fresh eggs, coffee, and papaya, pineapple, mango, and bananas just doesn't get old. Hmmm...what's next on the agenda for the day? A hike in the jungle, a kayak and a swim, a horseback ride, fishing, a walk down to the botanic garden. Maybe just a lounge in the hammock to start and then see where the day takes you. We felt right at home at Ray's place. We were looking for a beautiful and secluded place to relax and unwind and we were not disapointed. And it always adds to an experience to have a personal connection. Rey is gregarious, intelligent, and a kind hearted soul. He loves where he lives. We spent an afternoon with Rey shucking, shredding, and milking coconuts which he then used to make a delicious cake for dinner. The only thing that could of made our stay better is if the weather would of cooperated for the sunday afternoon soccer game. Maybe next time.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed February 26, 2011

We spent 4 days at DQ sleeping in an open air cabin. Fabulous bird
and nature sounds. Hiking ,kayaking,swimming are available.

Rey was a wonderful
Host,excellent cook, and informative naturalist. We enjoyed the tranquility and the unpretentious atmosphere.
Horses,chickens,turkeys and two gentle
Dogs ro freely. I would
Highly recommend staying here. A rich experience.

• Stayed February 2011
Dallas
Reviewed January 27, 2010

Ah, so much to say about Dolphin Quest Costa Rica! www.DolphinQuestCostaRica.com (DQCR) This is actually 2 reviews in one as I have just made my second venture down to this beautiful ´Garden of Eden´as it is known to many who have the luck of finding this special jungle retreat.
Located near Golfito in the Golfo Dulce, Dolphin Quest Costa Rica is only reachable by boat, so getting there is an adventure in itself. I arrived in San Jose (the Costa Rican Capitol) via airplane both trips from the United States. The first time I was there I had the luck of friends picking me up at the airport and we stayed a few days @ La Sirena hotel in Estrillos Oeste for a bit of surfing before driving down to Golfito. (I would only recommend making that journey with a Tico or someone who has plenty of Costa Rican experience-one of my friends had been living there for a while.)
I ended up taking a plane back to San Jose (about an hour flight) & on to the US, This time, I had more time to travel so I went the bus route. It´s way longer but I got a great view of the countryside. Plus I sat next to a very nice Tico who helped me with my Spanish-he was taking his first trip to the US the following week & was delighted to practice his English as well. Buena Suerta, Alex!
If taking the bus route, I highly recommend the company ´A Safe Passage´. John buys your bus ticket the day before you depart (I believe that is a requirement.) He also provides shuttle to & from the airport, hotel, bank trip, etc.-a nice service to look into. www.CostaRicaByBus.com (Ask about special pricing for guests of Dolphin Quest.)
When you arrive in Golfito, The Muellecito is where you want to be (there is a soda to rest at) to find Reymundo, the Expat that runs DQCR w/his too very well mannered sons & a few Ticos. At the Muellecito, you will either meet with Reymundo (pre-arranged) or you take a water taxi ($40-$50) to DQCR. (Ask for chico if you have trouble.) You want to be sure to contact Reymundo when you arrive in Costa Rica so he has some confirmation of when to expect you. ***Be aware that it can often take SEVERAL tries to get through on Rey´s cell, so don´t get discouraged if you have trouble getting an answer-KEEP TRYING! Any frustration you have here will soon be forgotten as you lay back & enjoy the culture & natural beauty all around you. Remember to enjoy the journey!
DQCR is a true Eco-adventure, so those who don´t appreciate nature may want to pass. Living quarters are open air, so you will likely encounter a few bugs.(The Osa peninsula is known as one of the most biologically diverse places on Earth.) But it is well worth it to peer out your window & see iguanas, brightly colored birds & flowers, & horses grazing. A few ´Green´points, as some places simply add a green label...there is no ´green washing´here! DQCR ranks pretty high on the Green living meter-in fact, I don´t thing there is much they could do to be more eco-friendly! It is a family run business that employs local workers. Solar panels provide the electricity used. Water is provided from the nearby Mountain. Burnable trash is burned onsite, the rest is recycled. Food is caught or harvested VERY locally, so they do make great efforts to minimize their impact on this wonderful planet! They also maintain the only soccer field in the area, and provide the community with sports! Their field overlooks the beach and people arrive via kayak or boat to play in the afternoon.
ALL FORMS of plant based medicine is welcome here (& often available) & there are many exotic fruits I´d never even heard of growing on the property. They even grow chocolate! Much of the produce in the kitchen is harvested on the property & seafood is caught almost daily. (Fresh coconut, anyone?) There are also chickens, ducks, & turkeys for additional meat & eggs.
What about the ocean? After all, the place is called Dolphin Quest! Dolphins are not an uncommon site, and the water is very clear. Once on an early morning boat ride 2 large dolphins started interacting with us, coming right up to the boat, turning over & showing us their bellies, almost as if they were inviting us into their world.
I went snorkeling for the first time while visiting DQCR, & it opened a whole new world swimming among the brightly colored tropical fish. Rey & his son even caught a few large lobsters that were delicious!
But there is much to experience on land as well. Being an avid horsewoman, the trip through the rainforest to the waterfalls was a real treat. Casa Orquedia (the botanical gardens) is a short walk up the beach. There are many butterflies and it is neat to learn about the different plants & wildlife.
The night sky is amazing too! I grew up quite a bit in the country & one of the things I hate about city living is the light pollution prevents me from viewing the stars. Not an issue at DQCR as the stars (& lightning bugs ) are bright & abundant. You can often see the luminescent species light up in the ocean as well.
One of the best things about DQCR is the sense of peacefulness there. You can sit in a hammock & listen to the calm surf & the birds chirping & truly feel as one with the Universe. Dolphin Quest Costa Rica is one of the planet´s special places I will always treasure!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DazeyCoyote
Also consider these accommodations in or near Golfito
Esquinas Rainforest Lodge
#1 of 1 in Carate
Saladero Eco Lodge
Saladero Eco Lodge
#1 of 12 in Golfito

Been to Dolphin Quest? Share your experiences!