“Very Nice Pool Area”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Golfito
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very Nice Pool Area”
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Best pool area I've enjoyed since Hotel Granada in Nicaragua. As other reviews have stated the guest services needs some work from my perspective. Upon arrival I had an issue with my checkin which was
rectified very nicely and appropriately by the front desk woman. But, I wasn't given any other information at all except where my room was. Casa Roland is a good size property. So a map or some general information would've been nice like when and where breakfast was or even where the pool was. ( my taxi driver told me where the pool was when we drove up)As far as service went in both restaurants that needs a little work too in my opinion too. I must point out that there was an issue with my dinner order on my last night. I ordered a salad and the Atun sandwich as well, the salad was nice, but due to my lack of Spanish I asked my bartender is this ( Atun Sanwich ) was fish and she said yes. I assumed silly me it was a fillet of tuna. But thankfully the other bartender ( Arelys )who served me lunch the previous day asked me if I knew the sandwich was tuna from a can and I said NO. She told me she would check with the chef to see what fish they had that night. The choice was Mahi-Mahi or Red Snapper and she also offered me 3 choices of how I wanted it cooked and a choice of sauce if I wanted sautéed and sides. I went with the Red Snapper in a garlic butter sauce w/ vegetables & mashed potatoes. It was perfect. I REALLY appreciated Arelys making the extra effort to make sure what I ordered was REALLY what I wanted and not just letting the order stand as it was. I will return on my next day off in another month or so. It's a quick 30 minute boat ride from where I work and live so it's close enough for a quick day or two off.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank pura1vida

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

While in Costa Rica I visited the pool and the pool area restaurant a couple of days. The pool area is gorgeous. But the service is incredibly bad at times. I was ignored by the server by the pool. I finally stopped her and asked for a menu and she still never brought me one while she continued to take care of all other local patrons. I finally went and ordered at the bar. An hour later I went and asked where my food was because everyone else had gotten their food and I hadn't even gotten my drink. I was told I ordered after them. Um no. Then my food finally came and it was wrong. The server that had been ignoring me stopped to help and I explained the order wasn't what I ordered. It was "fixed" and brought back only to be wrong again at which point I said forget it and left. The pool area is relaxing and beautiful and still worth a visit. You can go visit the pool for a fee even if you aren't staying at the hotel.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank stacey f
Rifle, Colorado, United States
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This hotel was a gem in disguise; hidden on a dirt road in Golfito, it was the most comfortable stay. The hotel itself was very classy and clean, as the rooms had great a/c and classy working accommodations. My favorite part of our stay was the extravagant pool that was located just across the road from the hotel; a nice roomy layout of comfy umbrella covered pool lounge chairs and a unique shaped, large pool. The setting was so great as small commuter planes would fly over the pool, with the lush sightings of pure jungle surrounding; it was surreal. If you would like a fair priced, lush comfortable stay in a less than entertaining town of Golfito, I highly recommend staying at Casa Roland.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kisa W
united states
Reviewed January 28, 2014

This was a Beautiful hotel, clean, great pool, nice beds linens and pillows. What we didn't like was the restaurant menu very limited. It is 2.5 km from the water taxi to San Jaminez, and there is no other restaurants within walking distance.
The servers in the pool and restaurant were not very attentive, and the activities director could not speak english and they were not helpful with information to the corcovado National park OR the tour they provided.

Room Tip: Beautiful accommodations, a bit pricey
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Escazu, Costa Rica
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We spend four days three nights in Casa Roland in Golfito Costa Rica.

Every year or so we go shopping in the tax free zone in Golfito and the close by border to Panama. We have to stay at least two nights in order to get all the stuff done, and over the years we tried out several places there. They all take advantage shoppers like us, but some do more then others, Casa Roland was an extreme, they have highest room rates and the worst offering for the money. The rooms shown on the website and on several travel sites are NOT the rooms one get when making the reservation. I thought that USD 150,- per night would get me at least an outside window and a decent breakfast but this was too much to ask. We got a room in the basement, a dark hole where we couldn't' t even see daylight. All the ceilings from all those rooms there are only seven feet high. It was like living in a cave for three days !

To get to the pool all hotel guests have to cross a dusty gravel road dividing the hotel grounds into two different properties. The pool area was totally occupied by locals, mostly underage teenagers and mom's with their small children. Needless to say that youngsters jumping into the pool, crying kids and overall loud locals kill all holiday feelings at once. The hotels speaker system was blasting latino reaggea rap in the pool area and restaurant during the entire afternoon. As it turned out, the hotel sells "Day pases" for only two dollars to the youngsters and for four dollars to the adults with kids under six hears. The food quality at the restaurant was average at best with the prices on the menu in US dollars. No problem there but when we asked for the check, we got billed in colones, the local currency, at THE HOTELS exchange rate which was of course much higher then the banks.

The breakfast room was nice, but the breakfast was exactly the same as sold all over Costa Rica in every little " Soda Restaurant" at the street corner for USD 4,- each. Rice with beans, scrambled eggs, some cut up sausage, platanos, coffee milk and flakes. Everyday the exact same thing.

There is NO beach or marina even close by, the nice rooms advertised everywhere are in the first floor and cost USD 230,-and up. The parking has a guard house but was empty all the time. Missing bath towels and the total absence of pool towels are normal.

After one hot day of shopping when we got back to the hotel we thought we enjoy the pool for a little while but we where force to leave the pool and surroundings because of an arriving wedding party, locals of course. Hotel guest had to get out of the water and clear the sun beds around the pool at 3.00pm!

Looking back now on those days, we felt cheated and ripped off by the hotel and abused by the pricing.

Other hotels in Golfito charge half the price and offer the same !

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank 752Martin1250
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Casa Roland was a beautiful little gem. Perfect for an overnight before we caught our boat to Play Nicuesa in the morning. They opened the restaurant just for us as we were late getting in and even sent us with a boxed breakfast in the morning since we left so early. Our room was very pretty and the lobby and restaurant were absolutely gorgeous for such a small place. Much more than we expected for our stopover.

Room Tip: We had the deluxe.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IUMANGO212
Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica
Reviewed May 9, 2013

helped make our stay very accommodating. courteous staff enabled us take part in the country club like setting... enormous pools, tennis, rec room, etc. kids enjoyed it. we will be back as the strawberry waffles really made their mornings. wifi by the pool was plus as was the big screens showing the playoff events. certainly a hotel that could host large parties. nice layout!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank EVRYFKNDY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Golfito
Hotel y Restaurant Samoa del Sur
Agua Dulce Beach Resort
Agua Dulce Beach Resort
#6 of 15 in Puerto Jimenez
Esquinas Rainforest Lodge

Been to Hotel Casa Roland Golfito? Share your experiences!