Rafiki Safari Lodge
Los Altos Resort(Manuel Antonio)
$388
Los Suenos Marriott Ocean & Golf Resort(Herradura)(Great Value!)
$306
$259
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Parador Resort and Spa(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$239
$222
Shana By The Beach, Hotel Residence & Spa(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$238
$202
Gaia Hotel & Reserve(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$306
$282
La Mariposa Hotel(Manuel Antonio)(Great Value!)
$156
$151
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Arenas del Mar Beachfront & Rainforest Resort(Manuel Antonio)
$360
$349
Barcelo Tambor(Tambor)(Great Value!)
$334
$163
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $186/night.

Croc's Resort & Casino(Jaco)(Great Value!)
$310
$274
$255
$235
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
All reviewswhite water raftingthe riveraqua hikecosta ricaan adventurepura vidaboshoff familyrafiki safaribeach camprocking chairshighlight of our tripunique experiencebeautiful waterfallmagical placedirt roadceiling fanhalf way
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband 50th birthday surprise trip with our two children couldn't of started off more perfect!!! I have to be honest I wasn't looking forward to bring outdoor tent camping, but after all it was my husbands trip! So, I booked it and to my surprise it was my most favorite part of our trip! The tents are set up on a platform with amazing views with beds and full bathroom. They serve you 3 meals a day because you have no restaurants near and I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful the food was. Angel the chef cooked us gourmet meals and when I asked if he could make a cake for my husband and he did! This was definitely not coming food!!! Jenel and Carlo Boschoff the owners are wonderful and their staff Raphael and Marvin make you feel at home! It was kinda sad leaving them. We decided to do two excursions one which was white water rafting and the Aqua Hike! Our tour Guide was Randall who was excellent
and made every and made ever minute memorable! I definitely recommend this place if you are all for being outdoors and hearing the wildlife while you sleep and just to be away for nothing but nature and pure relaxation!! I would definitely like to go there again!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Tvillasenor07
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband, two sons and I stayed at Rafiki for the last two nights of a 10-day Costa Rica trip and it was the perfect ending to a fabulous trip. Rafiki gives you a taste of an African safari camp in the rain forest. The rooms are safari tents and are lovely, built on native wood platforms and appointed with beautiful tiled bathrooms. We did not have trouble with mosquitos and were lulled to sleep by the sounds of the rain forest. (Some would say "noisy" but we loved it and slept soundly.) The main dining room is open air and overlooks a stunning vista. I so enjoyed sitting on the veranda watching the clouds and rain roll in and the mist and toucans gather in the tree tops after the rain. The food was fantastic! Breakfast included the best bacon I've ever eaten. Lunch during our rafting trip was a delicious chicken breast, still warm even though is was served riverside a distance from the lodge. And the dinner options were out of this world, fresh fish, traditional South African babotie, chicken parm and ribs (on the braai). We went white water rafting and can't say enough about how much fun we had - if you go, ask for a Costa Rican jacuzzi! My boys (11 and 14 years) will tell you the water slide was the best part of the trip. It's advertised as the fasted slide around and I think they are right! They literally wore holes in their bathing suits! The Boshoff family have created a lovely spot and are truly gracious hosts. I hope to visit their new safari tents on the beach some day - that would be double the icing on the cake!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jocelyn I
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The trip to Costa Rica was to celebrate my birthday with my girlfriend.

I had no clue what to expect of Rafiki before arrival. I hadn't researched it much and just went by the travel agent's recommendation on my desire for a "treehouse" type setting. The moment we arrived at Rafiki, we were amazed. Actually, even before we arrived we were glad we added the two nights to our trip because of the scenic drive.

We arrived at Rafiki just before sundown (unfortunately long drive), but were welcomed by a chorus of Toucans that decorated the nearby tree canopy. Before we knew it we were greeted by the owners and had a welcome glass of fresh juice in our hands. We both just stood at the main lodge's balcony edge in amazement of the views, grounds, and atmosphere of Rafiki.

The setup isn't for everyone. It's a mix of glamor and a good portion rustic. You are in the middle of nowhere. Other than your day's excursion, you really aren't leaving the facilities. That was fine for us, as we enjoyed just getting away and relaxing a bit. You still have access to clean plumbing and working electricity (hydro-electric), but have to put just enough bug spray on to remind you that you are in the middle of the jungle. Your belongings will stay a bit damp if they get wet and the humidity is a little higher, but its worth it to hear where those nature cds could likely record.

We stayed two nights and went whitewater rafting. Two nights was the perfect length. Anymore and we might have been a little stir crazy (we weren't really in the roughing it mindset). The Whitewater Rafting was outstanding and the guides were enjoyable.

The food was fantastic. A bit of Costa Rica with a South African twist.

I would definitely recommend (and already have) a stop at Rafiki. Knowing a little of what to expect could help some, but I more than appreciated the surprise factor and unknown expectations.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Christopher M
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We did not stay with Rafiki, but I was intrigued with this resort and chose to do a one-day excursion with them from our hotel in MA, so the majority of my review is focused on the river excursion. However, I did thoroughly tour the property during our visit and guests should expect a beautiful but more rustic experience if staying here. This is for folks that really want to be unplugged. I am always on the go and would need to be on tours daily and then socialize at the bar/restaurant area until bedtime as the location is isolated and self contained. The only negative thing I have to say is something needs to be done about the access path to the pool slide. Saying it's, "a little slick" doesn't cover it. I had to remove my shoes and slowly scale the path like Spiderman (constant moisture causes it to be slick and slimy). This is an accident waiting to happen. Otherwise, I found the property well cared for and beautiful all around.
Regarding our day--this was the absolute BEST excursion we did over the course of 9 days in CR. (I emailed them directly to book our day of white water rafting)
They sent transportation to pick us up from our hotel, and when we arrived we had a lovely full breakfast at their retreat before starting our adventure on the river. I enjoyed exploring the grounds of the resort and taking a tour of the facilities while we waited for our guides. They had beautiful horses grazing on property as we entered the grounds and I almost wished we had booked a full day that included horseback riding.
This was my 11 yr old son’s first time on real white water (we live close to man- made white water training center). I couldn’t have been happier with the guides and the pre-tour safety exercises. Being June it had rained quite a bit, so the water was high and the guide said it was Class II/III rapids which was perfect.
The scenery was breathtaking and we stopped and swam at a large, beautiful waterfall. Also, the hot lunch we were served (included) was delicious.
During this excursion we were accompanied by a photographer that kayaked ahead of the group to get photos that are available for sale at the end of the journey. They were reasonably priced and we liked having the photos to reminisce about our adventure.
If going to Manuel Antonio area, I absolutely would not miss this tour or do it with anyone else. Worth every penny. The whole experience with Rafiki was surreal—you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose a tent closer to the main restaurant/bar area.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank rockmama12052
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We didn't stay at the lodge but were picked up from our rental property and driven to Rafiki with a great driver and the guide/trip photographer/joker - Mono. What a fantastic day, just the right number of people, 3 rafts, 3 guides and Mono. We loved the lodge and would have happily hung there for a few days. We headed off to the river, some of the other party went by horse back, we did the conventional bus but had a guided tour and saw a sloath and many species of birds. The white water rafting was fast, fun and very wet! This is a must for anyone with teenagers, something to be enjoyed by all the family. Lunch was at a lovely spot under cover as the heavens opened and what seemed like a monsoon hit us, it rained hard for the rest of the trip but this didn't dampen anyone's spirits it just made it more fun. The waterfall stop and swim was beautiful!
Thanks guys especially the lovely Alan our guide and resident paramedic based at Rafiki!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family