New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Aromas, California
“Highlight of our trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

We did not stay here but we took the white water rafting tour. Our 7 and 8 year old boys fell in love with the rafting and the place.... which we would have stayed at if we had known about it before. The water slide to the pool is FANTASTIC. Our boys could have done this all day and my husband and I could just hang out at the bar above it watching them. So relaxing and the staff is wonderful. If you go on the rafting trip be sure to buy the photos the very talented photographer takes. One of them will be your best Christmas card ever!

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cynthiacoutts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Alajuela, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

What an amazing place, amazing people, breathtaking scenery and unmatched hospitality!! If you're looking for a unique and truly memorable experience set in the rainforest, with unforgettable adventures, this is the place to go. I live in Costa Rica, work as a travel agent here, and get to stay at all of the wonderful hotels around the country as part of my job. This has to be in my top 3 favorite places of all time. Thank you for such an amazing experience. I will be back soon!! Can't wait to do the beach version!! Mil gracias, amigos de Rafiki!!

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 have amazing views of the lake and are close to the main area/restaurant.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank lisac5171
Winter Park, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

All the reviews of this place don't lie, don't exaggerate. Everything, I mean everything is what you expect on vacation. What really stands out, and it's hard to pick just a few, is the food, the Savegre river, and the hospitality of Loki and his family. If they serve their South African fare, you are in luck! And Loki is an awesome, sincere and very friendly host and river guide. My wife and I went rafting on the river and kayaking to the ocean with him. I highly recommend both, but especially the kayaking trip! Overall, I highly recommend Rafiki without any reservations!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jamey C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

This place is a mountain paradise. I loved the clouds rolling silently through the canyon, the hot tub in the rain was wonderful, the slide and running water was great, horse riding and class 3 rapids. Fun for the whole family, all this and hydro electric and wifi, perfect blend of jungle and creature comforts.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Leonechiro
Ringgold, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

After driving past the sign for Rafiki more than 6 times on our way back and forth to Domincal, we decided to venture up the mountain to check out the mystery. Let me say that this was perhaps the BEST decision we made on our trip to Costa Rica. The road is definitely bumpy (car massage anybody?) but well, WELL worth the trip. When we arrived, we were graciously welcomed by the owner's daughter-in-law who took us on a tour of the property. Although the folks at Rafiki knew we had lodging elsewhere, they still offered us the opportunity to hang out and enjoy their facilities for the day. We (husband, 2-year old, and 5-year old, and me) spent the whole afternoon enjoying the jacuzzi and waterslide!!! Plus, they made the BEST homemade tortillas we had in CR. It was a PHENOMENAL time enjoying the company of other patrons and the owners (who happened to be some of the most hospitable people we've ever encountered)!!! We loved our time at Rafiki SO much that we returned the next day for a whitewater rafting trip. The staff at Rafiki set us up with a top-notch Nanny, Sadie, so that we could take our 5 year-old on the river and leave the 2 year-old safely at the lodge. It was PERFECT!!!! I think EVERYTHING about Rafiki is top-notch!!! Sometimes with children you worry about fitting in, but the folks here were super sweet with our kids and went out of their way to make them have a VERY enjoyable experiernce. In fact, they even delived my son's inflatable arm swimmers to our hotel in Manuel Antonio when we accidently left them there (which was exactly 1 hour away). I can't believe the service!!!! We are certainly going to stay at Rafiki on our next trip to CR.

Room Tip: Because we didn't actually sleep on site, I did not rate the sleep quality, rooms, room service...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Christine C
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

We really enjoyed our vist to Rafiki. Believe me when I say from the very beginning ( by this I mean the six mile road leading to this adventure) to the end of your visit( guess what- the road), your will find a great place to hang out and have a great time.

This is a family run business. They try very hard to provide a fun and laid back vacation. The class 2 level river rafting trip had a few moments of pure panic but is was mostly a easy ride.

Food was ok one night and 5 star the other night. Drinks were priced right.

We had the honey moon tent. Try to get this. It's worth the extra money. The owners add a few touches that will make you smile. I will say no more.

If you want to see and feel what's it like to be off the beaten track, to sit back and let some dedicated friendly people show you what life can be in Costa Rica, then stop here. I recommend a two night one day visit. Get there around 4 PM and relax. Then take the horse ride to the river for the rafting the next day. You be tired so the rest of the day is time to sit back.

Now- about the horse. Every time my wife makes me ride a horse, the horse takes me for a ride to where ever it wants to walk or run too. This horse was nice. Thank god because this two hour horse ride is straight up and then down many times.

Add rafiki to your visit to CR.

Room Tip: Do not make this a one day trip with your rental car. I rented a small econey car and I had concern...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

This is class act rafting outfit that makes it fun for all ages! The guides are amazing and really make it a great day. This was our kids favorite tour (age 8, 11, 14 and 16) and we did 7 different tours in Costa Rica. They started our day with a delicious breakfast at the lodge, then our fun on the river was divided with a delicious hot lunch. Keep in mind the level of rapids you are doing and the level of water if you are an experienced rafter. This is not a boring ride by no means but not an adrenaline rush either. It is perfectly safe for familys and you will get soaking wet!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family