“Nice place to stay”

Pachira Lodge
KY
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is my first time to Costa Rica and to Pachira Lodge. The rooms are nice but very small. There is no air conditioning and only screens with bars on the windows. The bathrooms and bedrooms are open to the other rooms The food was just ok. Basically the same meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The wildlife on the boat canal tour was great. Seeing the turtle lay her eggs was a really neat experience. The guides were very nice and informative for the most past. I really only have one negative thing to say and it was when my chair leg went through the floor no one at the lodge really seemed to care. No one checked on me to make sure I was ok the entire time I was there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank granny09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Hebrew first
New York City
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are rustic but clean. No air conditioning but the overhead fan really helped at night. It is very humid (you are in a rain forest) but it was actually relatively comfortable at night. The food is just ok. Not a large selection each meal and very mediocre but not bad (just not as good as the places we stayed in other parts of CR). The wildlife is great. We saw howler and spider monkeys, sloths, crabs, many different birds and we went on the night turtle tour and saw a green sea turtle laying her eggs. The pool is nice and cool (definitely helped with the humidity), but many of the chairs at the pool were falling apart. Going to the town was interesting and had a Jamaican feel to it; we were told that many Jamaicans were among the first settlers there. Definitely worth a two night stay. Don't forget your bug spray, camera and binoculars.

• Stayed August 2013
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I cannot say enough about how great the staff and service where at Pachira Lodge. The food there is just fine, nothing to rave about. The rooms are simple and clean but in fantastic surroundings. The rooms are clustered in groups of four and the walls do not go up all the way so you do feel rather close to your neighbors. Since we were a couple traveling alone, the staff happily upgraded us to a stand alone cabin.

From start to finish, the people driving the boats, driving the bus, the wildlife guides -- just fabulous. This is what would have me return to Pachira over other lodges in the area. From our cabin we saw sloths, watched as an adolescent howler monkey howled is way across the tree tops, watched spider monkeys frolic together.

On our canal tours we had the boat driver and a wildlife guide both of whom had eagle eyes and lots of information. Watching the turtles on the beach in the light of a full moon was also spectacular.

I also was amazed at the service after the trip was over. I accidently left a package on the bus. I called and emailed the office thinking I would never see my package again. Not only did they retrieve the package they delivered to my hotel in San Jose (I was not due there for another three days) and followed up when they knew I would be in San Jose with a telephone call to make sure I had it. Thank you to Aldo, Catherine and Fernando for being so diligent -- made my week.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I've been lucky enough to visit Tortuguero several times but this was my first time in Pachira Lodge (January 2013) Like most of the lodges it's rustic, but clean and comfortable and benefits from a good sized swimming pool. There is a good choice of food and the staff were helpful and friendly. For me Tortuguero is all about the time spent on the canals and spotting wildlife and even after many visits over 20 years, it has never lost its magic. If you visit Costa Rica you should definitely visit Tortuguero and Pachira is a good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed August 9, 2013

An urbanite, I went with a group of 12 adults,who are studying Spanish, to Pachira Lodge with trepidation. From the moment my luggage was loaded into one boat and we got into the other for our hour long trip through the canal I was hooked. What a great experience! The lodge reminds me of a state park lodge only much more exotic. Rocking chairs on the porch were fun, especially for watching the monkeys. The guides on the treks through the rain forest and down the canal were fabulous. The only bummer was the late night race in boots through the forest to watch the turtles lay eggs. It left us all with raw calves and blistered feet--don't wear boots! The pool was adequate for a relaxing afternoon post hikes.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
alicante, Spain
Reviewed July 30, 2013

It was to years ago that we stayed at the Pachira Lodge, first time in Central America, the trip to the lodge was great, the boat ride is the best way to begin the stay. The welcome to the lodge was good, and the staff were helpful, the food was great, BUT!! the rainforest is 'awesome' (not a word I use often) the birds and animals make your camera a 'must have' at all times. Don't miss any of the trips as they are superb. OK the lodges are basic, if you want luxury, the rainforest is probably not the place to go!!!
Did we love it?? Yes we did
would we go back??? Yes we would
I have tried to submit this review and it asks for m
In fact we are returning in august this year, just to make sure we were not dreaming the fisrt time,
Why didn't we go last year,,, we went to Ecuador instead. good, but not Costa Rica , and certainly not the Pachira.
Try it!! you will not regret it!!

Room Tip: Try to have a detached lodge, they seem to get more activity from the wild-life
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is typical lodge for the area, no TV in the room, no AC. The pool is big and good for the kids, food (all included) was the best hotel food I had in Costa Rica, good spreads at breakfast lunch and dinner, high quality food. Their canal boat tour into the national park is great, two hours of wild-life viewing. Their tour into the town of Torteguero was pointless. You must pay $30 per person for the late night turtle viewing tour, I did not go, but I heard it was great, with several turtle sightings, where you see them laying eggs. Bring a flashlight and walk around the grounds at night and you can see a lot of animals. They also take you through the jungle during the day, bring insect repellant, a hat, and long pants for that one, trust me (they provide rubber boots). As most on TripAdv say, a great place for 2 days, then move on.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family