It is very hard to rate such place because it is unique. It simply cannot be rated by numbers. Let me try to describe. This is eco-lodge at its best. Located in the heart of Tortuguero national park. This park protects breeding ground for the green sea turtles that come over and over here to continue it's generation. So the major attraction here is the surrounding wildlife. And for that it gets an exceptional rating. As per facilities... We liked the buffet style food, rooms were clean and charming. You really feel being in a wooden tent. I got a very homey feeling there being an outdoor person. in the room you got a fan, a bed and hot water. That is about it. hot water is intermitent though, but it is a global issue in Costa Rica even in 4* hotels. But again, you got Caribbean sea 50 meters right and channels 50 meters left being on an island. All situated in a jungle with all corresponding wildlife. Kayak tour is highly recommended. We saw howler monkeys, sloth and ton of birds and butterflies, caymans. You can go to the local village for some local cultural attractions. Very safe even at night (make sure you got flashlight). Lodge has free wi-fi. Village has internet cafe.
What I would do next time I'm there is to take kayak package option although it is extremely expensive. I would say overall the place is a bit overpriced especially considering kayak option which is about 350 $US alone. But, on a way in you would enjoy 5-6 hours of kayaking through the jungle instead of 1 hr bus drive and 1 hr boat ride.
Another option I would suggest is a turtle nesting tour during the nesting season: July -October. $30 pp is ok when you consider that money go towards protecting those amazing animals. Although, it is not guaranteed that you will see the turtle... but if you do -just seeing those giants may turn your life over.
Bottom line - I would highly recommend this place for adventure and wildlife loving people. If you budget allows take a kayak option. If I got that right: 2 night stay with full board + kayak option is running around $700 US.
Our guide Jimmy was the best part of our stay - great, very knowledgeable personality!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heartland of the lush rainforest of Tortuguero Canals, Costa Rica, Mawamba Lodge and Tortuguero National Park are worth visiting year round. What makes us different? *Unbeatable location on a strip of land between the Tortuguero Canals and the Caribbean Ocean, providing direct access to both * The closest Lodge to Tortuguero town within walking distance (no need to take boats to town) * Free WI FI in selected areas of the hotel * Complimentary safety deposit box in your room * Unlimited free visits to our MAWAMBA PARK: where we offer two butterfly gardens, one iguana and one frog garden. A guided visit is also included in our 3 day / 2 night package * Private nature trais for nature walks * Exciting optional tours including night walks in the forest, kayaking, fishing and the NEW! Katonga floating restaurant for sunset tours or dinners / lunches on board. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Mawamba Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mawamba Lodge Tortuguero Hotel Tortuguero
- Mawamba Lodge Costa Rica/Tortuguero