We stayed here with our two young children and had a great time. Our guide Steven was fantastic and very knowledgable. He made this stay a great success! We saw a lot of animals and enjoyed the fantastic nature surroundings. The tours that are offered are a lot of fun, but they are overpriced. Our kids (4 and 6) paid the full price for everything. We did the night tour in the rainforest. Steven did a great job, but the hotel should never allow that many people in one group. We could not hear anything he told us, because we were the last people in a line of 25-30 people walking through the forest. The hotel is basic, the food average - but that did not bother us at all since we did not expect great food in such a remote location. Pool is great, beach is fantastic (even though you can't swim). The hotel manager is kind of rude, the service staff not very friendly (apart from one barkeeper). The managers only interest seems to be to squeeze out as much money of every single tourist as possible. The turtle tour at night is a must - what a great experience. All in all, I would recommend Tortuguero (not necessarily Mawamba lodge though) - but don't expect luxury.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heartland of the lush rainforest of Tortuguero Canals, Costa Rica, Mawamba Lodge and Tortuguero National Park are worth visiting year round. What makes us different? *Unbeatable location on a strip of land between the Tortuguero Canals and the Caribbean Ocean, providing direct access to both * The closest Lodge to Tortuguero town within walking distance (no need to take boats to town) * Free WI FI in selected areas of the hotel * Complimentary safety deposit box in your room * Unlimited free visits to our MAWAMBA PARK: where we offer two butterfly gardens, one iguana and one frog garden. A guided visit is also included in our 3 day / 2 night package * Private nature trais for nature walks * Exciting optional tours including night walks in the forest, kayaking, fishing and the NEW! Katonga floating restaurant for sunset tours or dinners / lunches on board. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com and Travelocity so you can book your Mawamba Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mawamba Lodge Tortuguero Hotel Tortuguero
- Mawamba Lodge Costa Rica/Tortuguero