We stayed at Mawamba lodge for 3 days. The location is great, only 15 minutes walk from the main town, lodged between the beach and the main canal. The gardens are very well maintained by a friendly staff, the butterfly & frog gardens are brilliant additions to the hotel, making these elusive animals easy to see and approach.
The rooms are simple yet comfortable, no air conditionning but equiped with very effective ceiling fans. The hamocs in front of each rooms are a great addition, making the place homely and great to relax after the early morning departures.
The pool/bar area is pleasant and well maintained.
Only downside is the food, after visiting the rest of Costa Rica, one cannot help but wonder how such wonderful items can be made to taste so bland. I am very surprised to see some reviews saying that the food is great, the only explanation is that I think that the authors probably haven't tasted the actual Costa Rican cooking...
The visits are well organised however our guide appeared a bit "lazy" in her explanations and didn't seem very happy or passionate about what she was talking about. Luckily enough, the boat captains make up for this lack of enthusiasm! They appear to be the real experts, able to find tiny animals in the most impossible places. If you don't speak spanish, I highly recommend Maurice !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heartland of the lush rainforest of Tortuguero Canals, Costa Rica, Mawamba Lodge and Tortuguero National Park are worth visiting year round. What makes us different? *Unbeatable location on a strip of land between the Tortuguero Canals and the Caribbean Ocean, providing direct access to both * The closest Lodge to Tortuguero town within walking distance (no need to take boats to town) * Free WI FI in selected areas of the hotel * Complimentary safety deposit box in your room * Unlimited free visits to our MAWAMBA PARK: where we offer two butterfly gardens, one iguana and one frog garden. A guided visit is also included in our 3 day / 2 night package * Private nature trais for nature walks * Exciting optional tours including night walks in the forest, kayaking, fishing and the NEW! Katonga floating restaurant for sunset tours or dinners / lunches on board. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Mawamba Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mawamba Lodge Tortuguero Hotel Tortuguero
- Mawamba Lodge Costa Rica/Tortuguero