We spent two nights at Mawamba Lodge. We were picked up early at our hotel in San Jose by our tour guide Frank. We took a bus ride and stopped for breakfast along the way. It took about two hours to reach La Pavona where we then took about an hour boat ride through the canals. That is where our adventure began!!
We saw wildlife throughout the canals. The dense tropical landscape was so beautiful. We arrived to a giant iguana falling out of a tree. We quickly learned that this was a common occurrence. We were assigned our room number and dropped our things off in our room and then headed over for lunch. We then explored the grounds and the beach. The grounds are very tropical, green, and the wildlife is all around. With no cars for miles we felt that we were secluded in paradise. Our group then took a boat ride into the town of Tortuguero and we were able to explore and learn about their history. We were able to walk back to the lodge which was about 20 minutes along the beach.
The next day we took the 5:45 am canal tour. This was not included in our package but I STRONGLY recommend it. The feeling to be out on the canal with the sun just rising was amazing. The natural beauty of Tortuguero was all around just awaking for us to see. We saw two kinds of monkeys, many birds, a cayman, bats, lizards, iguanas. This was absolutely one the most memorable parts of our trip. We came back and had breakfast and then did a tour around the grounds with our group. We stopped at both butterfly gardens and the frog sanctuary. We were able to sit out by the pool and relax for a bit as well. We then took the 2pm boat tour in which we explored different canals from the early morning tour but it was just as full of wildlife and great photo opportunities.
We left the lodge at 9 am the following day. We met lots of nice people from all over the world! Mawamba Lodge is amazing. The staff is so friendly and welcoming. This is a must see if you are visiting Costa Rica. Definitely somewhere I will remember forever and hopefully return to soon!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heartland of the lush rainforest of Tortuguero Canals, Costa Rica, Mawamba Lodge and Tortuguero National Park are worth visiting year round. What makes us different? *Unbeatable location on a strip of land between the Tortuguero Canals and the Caribbean Ocean, providing direct access to both * The closest Lodge to Tortuguero town within walking distance (no need to take boats to town) * Free WI FI in selected areas of the hotel * Complimentary safety deposit box in your room * Unlimited free visits to our MAWAMBA PARK: where we offer two butterfly gardens, one iguana and one frog garden. A guided visit is also included in our 3 day / 2 night package * Private nature trais for nature walks * Exciting optional tours including night walks in the forest, kayaking, fishing and the NEW! Katonga floating restaurant for sunset tours or dinners / lunches on board. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Odigeo, Priceline and Hotwire so you can book your Mawamba Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mawamba Lodge Tortuguero Hotel Tortuguero
- Mawamba Lodge Costa Rica/Tortuguero