So quick review of the hotel. Service was generally great and personalized. The hotel is small and you can tell. This is great as it allows for more one on one service. We booked our transfer to the hotel from hotel and that was fairly easy as well.
The food wasn't a great value and we were glad we didn't get the meal plan. While we didn't have any real complaints about the service we did notice that one of the waitresses spoke fairly fluent English yet she never sat us in her section which was unfortunate as communicating was a little more rocky with the other two very nice ladies. We were never really wowed by the food which wasn't particularly cheap. Breakfast was the best value and the granola mixture they served was one of our favorite meals of the stay.
Drinks were priced as you might expect at a hotel and the pool was nice (although a tiny bit too cold for the wife).
On to the best part and the reason why I didn't downgrade my review due to the restaurant. We booked our two tours directly through the hotel. We did a morning boat trip (with Willis as our guide). We saw pretty much every animal he had mentioned as a possibility. He was an absolutely excellent guide, both in his knowledge and ability to spot wildlife. At one point he mentioned he was going to try to be our guide later for the private turtle nesting expedition. We were very happy when it turned out he was going to be taking us out again. On the turtle trip we initially were nervous when a lot of time passed with no luck. But we eventually found 6 turtles (at varying points). He was great about spotting, teaching, and making sure we didnt fall on our face. He was happy to talk about living in Costa Rica and growing up in the area. Honestly, I can't say enough good things about either the tours or Willis.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 11 River View Downstairs Terrace Rooms. 12 Upstairs River View Balcony Rooms. (A little more expensive, but worth it. See what reviewers have said by clicking on "room tips") 2 River View Downstairs Junior Suites, with connecting door. 1 River View Upstairs Penthouse Suite with 2 baths. 1 of the Downstairs Rooms is Wheelchair Accessible with 2 baths • Beds: 4 Downstairs Rooms and 5 Upstairs Rooms have 1 King Bed. 6 Downstairs Rooms and 3 Upstairs Rooms have 2 Double Beds. 1 Downstairs Room and 2 Upstairs Rooms have 1 Queen and 1 Double Bed. 1 Downstairs Room has 1 King and 1Double Bed. 2 Upstairs Rooms have 1 Queen and 1 Double Bed. The 2 Junior suites have 1 King and 1 Double Bed • All rooms have: In-room safe, hot water, ceiling fans, reading lamps, hair dryer, free wireless internet and large screened windows so you experience the sounds of the rain forest. • All rooms don't have: TV, AC, or mini-bar. • Service Style: Personalized, informal, caring. • Restaurant: Cuisine: What a Costa Rican Grandmother would cook if she was also a creative and contemporary professional chef. Caribbean themed cocktails, and no we don't mean pina coladas, although we'll make you one of those too. •Atmosphere: Quiet, laid back and with an emphasis on the natural surroundings - most buildings are open air. • No background music. • Suggested activities at hotel: Palm and Orchid Gardens. Plan on 1 or 2 hours. Award winning Riverside Pool. Plan on at least 1 hour per morning or afternoon per day. Hammocks everywhere. Plan on losing track of time in one. 2 computers with internet for guest use at no charge. Spend as little time as possible. You're on vacation. • Tortuguero can only be accessed by boat or by domestic or charter plane. • Tortuga Lodge offers complete packages including round trip transportation, lodging, meals and excursions. • Suggested stay: 3-5 nights. • Owned and Operated by Costa Rica Expeditions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Tortuga Lodge & Gardens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Hotel Tortuguero
- Tortuga Lodge And Gardens
- Tortuga Hotel Tortuguero
- Tortuga Hotel Gardens
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Costa Rica/Tortuguero