The river journey from La Paviona to Tortuguera in torrential rain was an exciting introduction to Tortuguera. The lodge is one of the furthest from the village - a 5 or 10 minute boat ride - but once you get there it is a spectacular spot situated right on the waters edge. Our room was roomy and airy and the fact that there was merely mesh rather than glass in the windows only added to the atmosphere as we could clearly hear the sounds of the rain forest and the torrential rain while in bed.
Vivianna on reception was delightful and very helpful, nothing seemed too much for her.
We had a very good 3 course lunch on our first day but were very disappointed with both the dinner and the breakfast and were glad that on our second evening we went to Wild Ginger which was exceptional. The staff in the dining room were however very pleasant.
We chose to make our own arrangements for turtle watching and a kayak trip into the jungle as those offered by the hotel seemed very expensive.
The natural looking pool was situated within a foot or so of the river and it was delightful to cool off in. There were plenty of beds and hammocks , the hotel also offers complimentary coffees and pre dinner canapés which our family took full advantage of !
We borrowed boots from the hotel and decided to walk the trails behind the property but gave up pretty quickly as it was exceptionally muddy and the bugs were unbearable.
All in all it was a very good choice to stay in while in Tortuguera which itself is well worth a visit although we would not have wanted to stay more than 2 or 3 nights there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 11 River View Downstairs Terrace Rooms. 12 Upstairs River View Balcony Rooms. (A little more expensive, but worth it. See what reviewers have said by clicking on "room tips") 2 River View Downstairs Junior Suites, with connecting door. 1 River View Upstairs Penthouse Suite with 2 baths. 1 of the Downstairs Rooms is Wheelchair Accessible with 2 baths • Beds: 4 Downstairs Rooms and 5 Upstairs Rooms have 1 King Bed. 6 Downstairs Rooms and 3 Upstairs Rooms have 2 Double Beds. 1 Downstairs Room and 2 Upstairs Rooms have 1 Queen and 1 Double Bed. 1 Downstairs Room has 1 King and 1Double Bed. 2 Upstairs Rooms have 1 Queen and 1 Double Bed. The 2 Junior suites have 1 King and 1 Double Bed • All rooms have: In-room safe, hot water, ceiling fans, reading lamps, hair dryer, free wireless internet and large screened windows so you experience the sounds of the rain forest. • All rooms don't have: TV, AC, or mini-bar. • Service Style: Personalized, informal, caring. • Restaurant: Cuisine: What a Costa Rican Grandmother would cook if she was also a creative and contemporary professional chef. Caribbean themed cocktails, and no we don't mean pina coladas, although we'll make you one of those too. •Atmosphere: Quiet, laid back and with an emphasis on the natural surroundings - most buildings are open air. • No background music. • Suggested activities at hotel: Palm and Orchid Gardens. Plan on 1 or 2 hours. Award winning Riverside Pool. Plan on at least 1 hour per morning or afternoon per day. Hammocks everywhere. Plan on losing track of time in one. 2 computers with internet for guest use at no charge. Spend as little time as possible. You're on vacation. • Tortuguero can only be accessed by boat or by domestic or charter plane. • Tortuga Lodge offers complete packages including round trip transportation, lodging, meals and excursions. • Suggested stay: 3-5 nights. • Owned and Operated by Costa Rica Expeditions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Tortuga Lodge & Gardens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Hotel Tortuguero
- Tortuga Lodge And Gardens
- Tortuga Hotel Tortuguero
- Tortuga Hotel Gardens
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Costa Rica/Tortuguero