After arriving in San Jose and spending one night in Hotel Bougainvillea, my two sisters and I (who are all in our 60's) flew on a small plane to start our two week Costa Rican trip in Tortuga Lodge & Gardens. The lodge was mostly vacant and some maintenance activities were in process. The manager, Julian Fallas, met our plane and the staff was on the dock to greet us as we boated across the river. Because of the maintenance, our room location was changed and we were offered individual, rather than our shared room. Every interface at the lodge made us feel like valued guests who the staff wanted to treat in a way that made us want to return. Because our visit was a very slow time for the lodge, many of the staff members were on vacation themselves, so we encountered the back up personnel. They all did a wonderful job including the manager, Julian Fallas, his assistant, Sylvia (at the desk) and particularly Vincente who was our server and bartender as well as Angelo who took us on two boat tours and a village tour. Angelo went above and beyond to show us howler, white-faced and spider monkeys, sloth, 3 varieties of Toucans, many other birds, caymen, crocodile, river otter and many more birds I can't name for you. He also informed us about the trees in the jungle. The fact that his grandfather worked in the lumber industry and Angelo has grown up in Tortuguero made the visit to the village even more interesting.
The only drawback to our visit was that it made it impossible for our other next 3 hotels to live up to the experience we had a Tortuga Lodge and Gardens in spite of the fact that each hotel had its advantages. I look forward to my next visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 11 River View Downstairs Terrace Rooms. 12 Upstairs River View Balcony Rooms. (A little more expensive, but worth it. See what reviewers have said by clicking on "room tips") 2 River View Downstairs Junior Suites, with connecting door. 1 River View Upstairs Penthouse Suite with 2 baths. 1 of the Downstairs Rooms is Wheelchair Accessible with 2 baths • Beds: 4 Downstairs Rooms and 5 Upstairs Rooms have 1 King Bed. 6 Downstairs Rooms and 3 Upstairs Rooms have 2 Double Beds. 1 Downstairs Room and 2 Upstairs Rooms have 1 Queen and 1 Double Bed. 1 Downstairs Room has 1 King and 1Double Bed. 2 Upstairs Rooms have 1 Queen and 1 Double Bed. The 2 Junior suites have 1 King and 1 Double Bed • All rooms have: In-room safe, hot water, ceiling fans, reading lamps, hair dryer, free wireless internet and large screened windows so you experience the sounds of the rain forest. • All rooms don't have: TV, AC, or mini-bar. • Service Style: Personalized, informal, caring. • Restaurant: Cuisine: What a Costa Rican Grandmother would cook if she was also a creative and contemporary professional chef. Caribbean themed cocktails, and no we don't mean pina coladas, although we'll make you one of those too. •Atmosphere: Quiet, laid back and with an emphasis on the natural surroundings - most buildings are open air. • No background music. • Suggested activities at hotel: Palm and Orchid Gardens. Plan on 1 or 2 hours. Award winning Riverside Pool. Plan on at least 1 hour per morning or afternoon per day. Hammocks everywhere. Plan on losing track of time in one. 2 computers with internet for guest use at no charge. Spend as little time as possible. You're on vacation. • Tortuguero can only be accessed by boat or by domestic or charter plane. • Tortuga Lodge offers complete packages including round trip transportation, lodging, meals and excursions. • Suggested stay: 3-5 nights. • Owned and Operated by Costa Rica Expeditions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Tortuga Lodge & Gardens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Hotel Tortuguero
- Tortuga Lodge And Gardens
- Tortuga Hotel Tortuguero
- Tortuga Hotel Gardens
- Tortuga Lodge & Gardens Costa Rica/Tortuguero