Chimuri Beach Retreat
$213
$142
Savings alert! 38% below average rates

The price you found is 38% lower than this hotel's average rate of $228/night.

Hotel La Costa de Papito(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$109
VIP Hotel Playa Negra(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$139
$135
La Finca Chica(Cocles)(Great Value!)
$115
La Perla del Caribe(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$99
$69
Hotel Blue Conga(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
$66
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $74/night.

Hotel Banana Azul(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$114
Tree House Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$200
$177
Hotels.com
La Kukula Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$102
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $114/night.

Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$140
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe cottagesyoga classestraditional caribbeandirt roadget away from it allpata negrablack sand beachpuerto viejoa great place to stayhawkamenitiespropertytownsounddogs
Reviewed January 30, 2010

If your are a dirty back packer and like camping then...this is your place. We visited Puerto Viejo (4 women and my teenage daughter) and rented all three cottages for one week. The location is great, across a nice beach BUT that's it!!! The cottages are old, infested by termites, dirty and without proper ventilation. It is almost impossible to sleep on their cots, trying to grasp air from a malfuntionning, noisy , 10 inch diameter fan. Look at my pictures and you'll notice how run down the place is. We advised the owners about the issuesbut they ignored us. I personally rented the bigger cottage and could not use the kitchen as I noticed that termite droppings were falling from the ceiling anytime someone was in the upper bedroom just above the kitchen!!! Furthermore as there is no screens, you either have to stay in the dark by closing the shutters or leaving everything open, welcoming all critters. I was also scared to use the shower or touch the plugs are the electrical wires are overly exposed! We could not wait to go home after a week!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank VeroniqueFlorida
ColochaPuertoViejo, owner at Chimuri Beach Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2010

First of all, we appreciate critical, constructive reviews. But honestly, we felt quite offended with this (quite biased) one and we feel compelled to give a response. The review was posted 6 months after the visit without verifying if the encountered problems were actually fixed, (which they were). The sink was repaired right away after departure and the missing cover of the breaker box (which was a carelessness of the electrician who had changed the thermo -shower and the wiring a few days before) was of course reset as well. The "10-inch" fans is actually not true, they are 14 inches in diameter and ventilate very well. A word about "termite infested": As very eco-minded owners we do not use any pesticides or toxins to eliminate termites (which in the tropics is truly a challenge one has to confront all the time). What we do is change affected pieces of lumber periodically, especially in the off-season. We are really sorry if this guest was feeling that she did not get a good deal with our rates ($ 12/pers/night in this 4-pers. cottage). We are glad that other guests feel well treated and were actually enjoying their stay. Anyhow, we are grateful for even this extremely negative opinion, as it gives us the opportunity to get even better within the price range we can offer. Thank you!

Reviewed November 6, 2009

I have been to Chimuri twice -- once in 1997 and then in September 2009. I had remembered it being beautiful, relaxing, removed from the town and I had the beach all to myself; this visit I found the same to be true, even though the town of Puerto Viejo has grown quite a bit in the last 12 years.

Mauricio and Colocha are excellent hosts, providing us access to filtered water (so no lugging bottles from town or purchasing a bunch of plastic ones) and having a cleaning lady come every few days to keep the houses clean. With the full kitchen we were able to cook most of our meals ourselves -- don't miss the weekly veggie truck! Great produce for even better prices.

You can easily rent bicycles either in town or up the road at Banana Azul and it makes getting to/fro Puerto Viejo very easy for shopping, discos, bars, restaurants, etc. But you're also very removed from the town, which I found quite lovely, and you're right in the midst of the jungle but by the sea.

I really love it here and will definitely plan to go back again -- much sooner next time!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 21, 2009

to be one with Nature and living the experience of how simple and yet beautiful life can be.
ideal for meditation, disconnecting from a stressy city world. The genuine PURA VIDA (pure life) can still be felt here. My friends and I enjoyed it and are looking forward to return soon.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 31, 2009

Within a couple of hours of arriving i felt the tranquil atmosphere of the Chimuri Beach Cottages ease all my tensions and concerns away. First impression is that the cottages are very basic, with no frills. Second impression is that you have everything that you need and that you are surrounded by beauty and a sense of well-being. I was traveling on my own for the first time (54 yr. old woman) and part of my intentions for this trip was to have a bit of a retreat, where I could relax, read, study, and pray. This was the perfect spot for this. Perfect!! It is right across from a black sand beach, and a nice walking distance from the village of Puerto Viejo. Made a nice routine, to get groceries, or explore a little, make phone calls and so on.

I also had a great time with fellow guests and with the owners Colocha and Mauricio are wonderful, helpful and extremely knowledgeable and sensitive to the ecology of this area. They also have a lovely dog Coco. If you are looking for something authentic and genuine to the east coast of Costa Rica, look no further. This is it.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed February 26, 2009

We liked our cottage. It was very cute, quiet, and across the street from a lovely section of beach. Really nice to hear the water....
But it was lacking on the small niceties. we were only given one towel each for four days - yuck. I'm sure we could have asked for another, but didn't think we should have to. No hand soap, or coffee filters....
Also, just a FYI - it's a bit of a walk from town, which wasn't a problem except that it's not advised to walk at night. Taxis are available, and we rented bikes, but thought it would have been a little better for someone with a car.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple