“Not a nice welcome...”

Lizard King Hotel Resort
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not a nice welcome...”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I arrived to Puerto Viejo after a long 7 hours by boat and road from Tortuguero, having been up for about 9 hours already. When I arrived on a (Monday afternoon), no-one was at the reception, so I shouted hello a few times. Eventually, a mature lady came down with 2 guests who looked like they were leaving. The lady asked me what I wanted, I told her I had a reservation and she asked me to pay up front, which I didnt mind. I asked to see the room, which was very basic and the swimming pool area was dark and grim looking. The room was $35 with breakfast, which is what I would pay for a high end hostel or low end hotel. However, the standard of the room, property and most certainly the service was rated at low end hostel at most. Definitely far too much I wanted to pay. When I was looking around the room, I asked if I could get wifi, she told me it depends on my laptop. I tried and it didnt work and she literally told me that I could go look somewhere else if I wanted. That is what I did and let her keep the money I had paid. I wouldnt recommend this kind of attitude to anyone, especially in such a nice laid back part of the world.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JennieRTWE
code333, Manager at Lizard King Hotel Resort, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Jennie, I apologize for your bad experience at our hotel. Though I was not part of the management team during this scenario, I can't help to think that a big factor was bad timing. The "mature lady" was in the process of passing on the business to new ownership and coming from a 7 hour boat ride probably wouldn't render the most patience. Nonetheless, we are constantly seeking ways to improve our hotel and provide our guests with the best experience possible. Here's what we have done since the date of your post:

1) Extended our WiFI Internet connection area reaching all of our rooms.
2) Added two new members to our staff in order to reassure someone will always be there when you arrive and a service bell.
3) Replaced the wood deck planks
4) Upgraded our pool filter with a state-of-the-art filtration system
5) Repainted and refurbished our rooms

We hope the next time you're in the neighborhood we can make it up to you.. Thanks!

Luis Daniel Fernandez
Lizard King Hotel & Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I just spent two weeks at the Lizard King Hotel while visiting Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica. It was sad leaving - I really grew to love the place and the nice owners Lillie and Louie - who not only provide the best breakfast in town, but also gave me great advice on eating-out, exploring and other things. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Bradford Duplisea
Canada

Room Tip: All good. I guess if you want to be close to the pool you'd stay on the bottom level.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Bradford D
London
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We were disappointed with our room. It was incredibily small with no storage space or anything else - very very basic. We have stayed in several places in Costa Rica for the same price or less (we paid $55 per night for a basic room with no aircon) and expected slightly more for the price. We were on the ground level by the pool and it wasn't very private at all, people walked past our room at all times and we were woken up by people standing and talking loudly outside our room in the morning. Rooms on the upper level look like they have more privacy. The pool seemed nice and clean and quite big but there is no room around it for sunbathing.The shower only seemed to operate on a lukewarm temperature and gave me a mild electric shock when I tried to turn the temperature up. There was also only one, very thin, sheet on the beds.

On the plus side the location is very good, right in the town and it's set back off the main street so you don't get noise from there. It's also right next door to a brilliant bakery. The breakfast was very big and tasty with a good choice and the owners were very helpful and friendly, coming down from their room when they heard us having trouble locking our door. They also refunded us for a night that we had already paid for when we decided to leave Puerto Viejo a day before we had orginally planned to.
This could be a good base for a few days in Puerto Viejo but after being there and seeing the amount of different places there are in town I personally think you could probably find somewhere a bit nicer for the money with a bit of research. Having said that, I'm sure you could find a lot that are worse too.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We found this place after walking around to a few other hotels/hostels in the area. 5 minute walk into the city on the main road.

Pros: good location (close to city but quiet), clean pool, big rooms, breakfast, friendly/helpful staff

Cons: shower head was spraying in 4 different directions, WIFI signal very poor in rooms

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Lizard King was a good hotel though nothing special. The rooms were basic (very small mirror and almost no storage space), but clean and well maintained. The pool was nice and a great way to cool down after the heat of the streets though not big on sunbathing space. The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was good. There are similar hotels very close that are cheaper and pffer much the same facilities.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
NY
Reviewed April 27, 2011

We found this hotel online. The reviews were right, the breakfast is really yummy. The owners were a sweet couple who even bargained with us towards the end when we were low on money. There is also another woman who speaks English, or is from the US and is very helpful. The older Costa Rican woman who owns it with her husband is so sweet, she was telling us about her parrot who was crying because he lost his friend recently. This hotel is safe and clean. It depends on your necessities, it is not luxurious but definitely comfortable and away from noise. The rooms were all very clean. There is also internet onsite but sit in the front area to get the best reception. Have a great trip!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2011

We stayed 5 nights. It was a safe, clean, friendly hotel. The family made us feel very welcome & helped us with any questions we had. The free breakfast was fantastic! The pool was a nice added bonus! Great value!

• Stayed April 2011