First of all, I have to say I was completely disappointed with the Puerto Viejo and the Caribbean side in general. This area is very run down and dirty. I have never seen a beach as gross as the beach at Puerto Viejo.
Lonely planet dubbed the Lotus Garden as an upscale hotel in Puerto Viejo and the cost was $70.00 per night. I cannot imagine anyone saying this was an upscale property. It was one of the nicest we saw in Puerto Viejo, but considering most places were shacks, that isn't saying much. We paid 70 per night for the Falls Resort in Manuel Antonio and Termales Del Bosque in Cuidad San Carlos. Both of those were truly wonderful and very upscale. For what you get at the Lotus Garden, $70 is a ripoff.
The room- A king sized bed, however, the sheets were thin and yellow and the comforter had cigarette holes burnt into it. The rooms smelled of sewage. I saw the biggest cochroach I have ever seen (at least 3 inches long) in the jacuzzi. The airconditioner was loud and had seen its better days. Overall, this property is very run down.
The service- The front desk staff seemed nice enough. We didn't complain while we were there. We just slept and got the heck out first thing in the morning.
The beach- The beach is across the street and was extremely dirt. Piles of garbage, broken bottles, packs of stray dogs, buzzards, and shacks lined the beach.
Excursions- We went to Cahuita National Parque which is only a few miles away and it was a great place. Lots of wildlife
Food- We didn't eat there. We didn't even stay for the free breakfast. We did eat the night we arrived across the street at an Italian place and had an excellent Pizza.
I would not return to this hotel or recommend anyone staying anywhere in Puerto Viejo. If you are determined to travel to the caribbean side, I would drive a little further down the coast and stay in Playa Uva or Manzanillo. There didn't seem to be many nice properties, but we saw a few, such as Las Palmas and Suenos (not sure of the spelling). If you only have a short time in Costa Rica, don't waste your time going to the caribbean! Manuel Antonio National Parque, Arenal National Parque, Monteverde Cloud Forest, the Nicoya Pennisula, Rincon De Vieja are MUCH more worth seeing!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "Relax and enjoy on Costa Rica's Caribbean coast in our Japanese style suites and gardens. A friendly and attentive staff, a pleasant garden with swimming pool and the beautiful ambiance of The Lotus Garden restaurant will make your stay with us unforgettable." ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Lotus Garden reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lotus Garden (Jordan`s Jacuzzi Suites) Hotel Puerto Viejo
- The Lotus Garden Costa Rica/Limon