“Good Value” 3 of 5 stars

The Lotus Garden
New York City, New York
“Good Value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

It is true that the Lotus Garden is outdated. The first room we got was poorly ventilated and there was one fan which hardly worked. However, the second night we switched rooms for the same price, and it was much better. We had a ceiling fan and two floor fans, and the room was a lot nicer. The staff is extremely nice and accommodating. They are knowledgeable and helpful. The gardens and grounds are very beautiful. For the price, I think its a good deal, as long as you request a room with a ceiling fan or A/C. We peaked into the luxury rooms and those looked beautiful.

Room Tip: ask for a ceiling fan.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights here..the manager was very friendly and helpful and the location of this place was excellent. During our stay on the hotel grounds we saw sloths, lizards, tree frogs, crabs, tree snakes and butterflies...a really unique experience and pretty good value!

• Stayed August 2013
Santiago, Chile
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

No doubt the worst place we stayed in Costa Rica. First you will be charged your room before even you see it. Our room, some place far in the backyard was awful: dirty walls and even some animal droppings around. Everything was in poor shape. The holes in the wall covered by plastic bags. To this stage we jut were ready to survive until some cockroachs appeared in escene and to avoid being asked for divorce they were my only casualties in Central America. To finish it all, breakfast was never served and the staff was uncaring about it... thanks god a very nice Belgian guy had open his cousine a few meters away. Never again to this hotel!

Room Tip: No way to the rooms far in the backyard!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Viejo de Talamanca hotels

Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This Place is one of a kind in Puerto Viejo. From the entrance to the staff everything is nice, they are very friendly and accommodating. my favorite place is the library which give me some relaxation while reading good books, my room was well equipped and the hot shower really works well. Over all the Garden is superb while swimming in the pool surrounded by different varieties of flowers.

Room Tip: Lotus Garden has a nice sushi too. its All you can eat Sushi!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
atlantic city nj
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The property is in sad need of updating & repairs. My jacuzzi suite was dark, sheets were dingy, towels frayed.. Balconey was nice but the one chair was filthy and the table was covered with some type of animal droppings. The room was on the 2nd floor and there were no lights working at night which made for a hazardous climb to the room & next to impossible to see where to put the key! When I complained David told me they had to get an electrician and it might be a couple of days. When I complained again Pam (who was very helpful) lent me a flashlight and then proceeded to balance herself on a tall barstool and change the lightbulb! So much for the story about needing an electrician. The pool area was not conducive to sitting outside - the chairs were filthy and broken and the pool had green algae growing and was obviously not cleaned for some time. After many attempts to contact the owners/managers (who obviously did not care at all about the sad state of this property) I was able to move without a penalty for the nights I had reserved. DO NOT WASTE YOUR $$$ HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: stay anywhere but at the lotus!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank nng88
Boulder, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Loved this great restaurant and hotel! I went in for some shade, sushi and bit of book reading. The food was superb and the ambiance soothing. Music was perfect and the beautiful drinks served by David were the best I had in PV. I was so impressed with the service and attention to detail that I moved from my current hotel to stay the next two nights here. The room was clean, huge and the shower was clean and hot! I finally exhaled when I landed here and wish I had booked here to start..Did I mention my room was a mere $60 per night. I felt very safe and this is important to me since I am single and travel alone. There were bars on the window and door to my cabin. It was quiet and peaceful at night. The beach was across the street and the staff helped me find everything I was looking to do, including the amazing Jaguar Conservation Center. Be sure to meet David he is charming and a wonderful host. I will be returning to this hotel with more time and look forward to relaxing in this serene environment.

Room Tip: There is not too much difference between the $40 and the $60 rooms- so if you are on a budget go for...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Joy D
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

It is a typical costa rican hotel bit outdated but a good value for the location( 90 $ for the Geisha room with jacuzzi) Yes they have visiting sloth we were told by the neighboors they can have up to 5 , we saw just one ( awesome). Staff very friendly we got 2 rooms so they gave us a free mattres in one room( in one room the jacuzzi wasn t working ) We just ate breakfeast there ok and good price. Owerall if you want to stay closer to the night action and don't want to sleep in a really cheap place it is perfect.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends