See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 22, 2011

My wife and I decided to have our honeymoon in Costa Rica and wanted to pick a leisurely place to stay for an extended period. We booked a 2 week cottage rental at Cashew Hill after doing a lot of research on different places around. We were very happy with our cottage, the surroundings, wildlife, etc. I'll try to summarize the reasons we were so happy with Cashew Hill:

Welcoming Atmosphere, great owners
We felt more like welcomed guests than paying customers. The ownership had changed hands earlier in 2010 to the Denley family, and our host Andrew was a friendly, cheerful and helpful guy. Our comfort and satisfaction were a high priority and anything we needed he would do whatever he could to see that we were accommodated. The rest of his family arrived about half way through our stay and they were all very kind and sweet to us. They let us borrow some snorkeling gear, and gave some great suggestions for outings as well. We were having problems with our computer and they lent us some tools to fix it, and helped to make sure the wi-fi signal was strong enough.

Close to Town but not too close
We stayed in the Playa Negra cottage which overlooks the beach - it's on the north edge of the property on the edge of the hill. It's a really beautiful view and although we could hear the fireworks in town on new years (and throughout the week following) we felt nicely removed from the noise. But it was just a 5 minute walk from our house to get right into town to the restaurants (Veronica's Place, my favorite), grocery store and tour headquarters.

Fun Wildlife
We were surrounded by jungle foliage and even within the property there is a lot of wildlife to enjoy. We knew there were going to be critters sharing our living space so we didn't mind when we saw geckos crawling around at night (eating bugs - they are welcome roommates). A gorgeous huge moth flew in one night. We also had a local sloth perch himself on a tree just outside the cottage and we could spend time watching him move around with great visibility. We saw toucans and poison dart frogs on the property, as well as a basilisk lizard. Of course, I think we both enjoyed the Denley's dog Stella the most.

The kitchen was nicely equipped and the living room very comfortable and relaxing, with a couch, chairs and two hammocks for lounging. We used the mosquito net in our bedroom after the first night just to keep ourselves from getting bitten, and that worked fine. We spent the first week without a car and the second week with a rental - there's plenty to do without a car and you could easily spend your whole vacation in Puerto Viejo without one but we decided we wanted the freedom to explore a little bit more. Andrew even offered to give us a ride into town or to local beaches if we needed it.

I read reviews which gave warnings about the hill. I don't think the hill was much of a problem to be honest - but I am moving from Haifa Israel so my standards are different.

If there are any downsides they'd have to be the noises... if you are a light sleeper you may take a while to get used to the sounds. There's some neighbors who have roosters and for some reason they crowed even at night sometimes. There were some birds that lived on the tree by the house. But I found these sounds charming and they didn't disturb us at all. But just be aware that you are in the jungle so there will be jungle noises and there are some neighbors with dogs and roosters. Also the church down the road had some very exuberant services which could be heard from our bungalow. But these are the sounds of Puerto Viejo - and they make the vacation what it is.

There will be bugs - the cottages are open to the elements so they will fly right in at night. Keep your food in the fridge or in tupperware- there are little ants. But you're in the jungle for crying out loud! If bugs make you uncomfortable, then what are you doing vacationing in the rain forest?

All in all we had a wonderful time and would definitely stay again. We're thinking this would be a great place to go with the whole family next time.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Andrew and his family were the best. I have liveed in Costa Rica for 18 yrs , and have never stayed in a place that treated you better. They have houses for rent. We had 5 adults and 2 children plus our poodle and stayed in two different places. The owners were always ready to help in any way they could. The grounds are a beautiful tropical garden. It is really close to downtown Puerto Viejo and all the action, but very quiet and relaxed. We all had a great time and will stay there again.
fj Oquest
Heredia, Costa Rica

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Cashew Hill is awesome.
Reservations went smoothly. Andrew greeted me by name when he found me at the gate. He carried our 2 heaviest bags to our cabin and upstairs and showed us around before worrying about the pesky check-in & paying. Then gave us a map and some recommendations around town. Later, when we found that our rental car's battery was dead (the lights were left on), Andrew & Brad tried to help us started, then not knowing anyone with jumper cables, Andrew drove into town to buy some. We also spent a couple nights just talking and throwing back some rum and/or Imperials. Great guys.

The grounds a beautiful, tropical, manicured, and safe. We stayed in Salsa Brava and loved it. If I only had one suggestion it would be to make room for 2 hammocks so my husband and I wouldn't have to fight over the 1.

Thank you guys for a great stay. We will definitely pick you again if we come back to Puerto Viejo. We were already recommending you before we even left the country.

I could go on and on about this place, but you should find out for yourself! Pura Vida!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Our family found Cashew Hill the perfect place to unwind, and the setting within the jungle and overlooking the ocean in the distance is amazing. The two hammocks on the veranda were in constant use by all, and the clever design of our cottage (Playa Negra) was really cool. We only stayed one night in our 18 day stay in Costa Rica, and we all wished we would have stayed longer. Playa Punta Uva is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and the town of Puerto Viejo has an unmistakable rasta vibe. As many travelers have said, this is the real Costa Rica! Many thanks to Andrew for his hospitality. Pura Vida!!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2011

This was my second trip to Cashew Hill Jungle Lodge, staying Nov. 14-24th. The Densley family will go above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable. Andrew and Allie were managing the Lodge this trip and were always helpful in suggesting things to do and were to go. The Lodge is close to town, short walk down the hill to markets, sodas/restuarants and the beach. Cashew Hill has 7 cottages, all of them are beautiful and the grounds are amazing. Plants, flowers, butterflies, birds and sloth sightings that I couldn't get enough of. The main house is being redone to accommodate guest get togethers and will be a fun meeting place. I can't wait to return in July. Cashew Hill is now my home away from home. It's relaxing,peaceful and very safe. The housekeeping staff, Maria and her son Ever are the sweetest people. The Densleys have made me feel like I'm a family member and can't imagine ever staying anywhere else. They always made sure that I had what I needed, and took great care of me. Cashew Hill is not a luxury resort, so If that is what you're looking for you'd need to go to the Pacific side. Puerto Viejo is a laid back, simple life style. I'd highly recommend going to the Jacquer Rescue Center. They have a web site and you can see the animals VERY up close. My favorite things to do: Not to make plans~just let the day happen! Walks on the beach, find great places to eat, meet people, go to the Farmers Market (on Saturdays), lay in a hammock and by the pool and just enjoy life. It is truly Pura Vida. Come July, I still have a list of things I want to do and places to see. I can't wait to return!!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo