See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed in the Playa Negra cottage in June 2013. The bathrooms smelled really bad, particularly the south bathroom, where the toilet seat was cracked. In general, the bathrooms were not particularly clean. There was a dead gecko on the small bed in the north bedroom. The pillow to that bed also smelled bad. The bedding generally was not fresh. The plastic cover under the pillow cases made me feel like I was sleeping on bubble paper. When I arrived and stepped out of the car, there was a big steaming dog turd right next to my foot in the driveway. The property has a large dog that the manager, Sean, failed to clean up after. Finally, the ants. In the middle of the night there was an attack of big black ants. They crawled all over and under our bed, including under the Mosquito netting. When I brought Sean to the room and showed him, he offered us another room, but it too was crawling with ants.

Ultimately, my wife and I got into bed with our boys in their cramped beds and spent a miserable night. We left after that first night. Over the past two years, I've spent six weeks in Costa Rica and never once left a hotel early...until now.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank JDM101
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Nice and quite atmosphere. The rooms were really good and comfy , staff friendly and helpful !
Spend my last week here after 2 moths costa rica, and came back home super relaxed.
Make sure to check out the yoga platform with sunset and surf lessons with herschel !
Thank you so much sean and edwin to make our stay in puerto viejo so nice.

The belgian girls -

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We just got back from a week in Puerto Viejo at Cashew Hill. Andrew, Ally and Edwin were wonderful hosts, and my family had a great time. We enjoyed many of the activities which Andrew helped us organize. Our cottage was spacious and very comfortable. The grounds were beautiful and the atmosphere relaxed. We loved our stay and would certainly stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rylan H
Reviewed April 3, 2013

It has been 3 months since I was in Puerto Viejo staying at Cashew Hill and not a day has gone by that i haven't thought about the atmosphere they have created. We arrived at night and were greeted by Edwin who helped us settle in and gave us a nice cold cerveza. When morning came we were shown around the beautiful grounds, you feel like you're in paradise, oh wait you are! Every lodge has it own creative decor, we were lucky enough to stay in the kinkajou. My daily ritual after waking up and before going to bed was laying on our hammock off our bedroom. During my time here i would listen to the music of the rainforest and the waves crashing a few blocks away. One night i fell asleep to a rain shower. Pure serenity. Andrew is the owner and he really know his stuff he has truly embraced the Pura Vida life style and make sure your stay is nothing short of amazing. Reese is always near by, a beautiful great dane that just wants to be your friend. The whole staff is so friendly and they will help you with anything you need. They provided us with their trusted friend and tour guide Junior. If you are staying in Puerto Viejo you must have a tour with junior. He is a true local, his positivity and infectious smile rubs off on you. Plus he has excellent music always playing. Ask for one of his cooking classes! Plan on making friends during your stay here because the recreation center they have offers hammocks, rocking chairs, a pool table and a bar that is always filled with interesting people from all over. Plus the bar runs on a honor system and that is just something special right there. During our days we relaxed on the beach, went shopping at the flea markets, zip-lining , waterfall tour, bike ride down the coast line (on one side you have gorgeous rainforest and on the other you have open beaches calling your name, it is hard to know where to look). The night life is filled with excitement all the bars along the beaches are all lit up, live music is coming from everywhere, you also get to see some local showing off there fire dancing skills, impressive . Weather your visiting or a local, Puerto Viejo attracts a different kind of person, people who are all looking for adventure, tranquility and good hearted people, plus so much more. I truly love cashew hill and can't wait to go back

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank TracyTheTraveler33
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Costa Brava cottage for 3 nights in March. The cottage is very specious with all necessities and very clean. It has a porch and 2 hammocks. Location is perfect, close enough to walk to restaurants and far enough to feel in nature. Andrew and his wonderful stuff made our stay a pleasure. Andrew is very knowledgeable and helpful. We followed his recommendations and enjoyed sloth sanctuary, bike rides to Manzanillo,walks in Cahuita National Park, Cocles beach and good restaurants. We highly recommend Cashew Hill Lodge.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple