Cashew Hill Jungle Cottages
$287
$215
Hotel La Costa de Papito(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$109
VIP Hotel Playa Negra(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$120
Lizard King Hotel Resort(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
$86
$80
La Finca Chica(Cocles)(Great Value!)
$129
Hotel Banana Azul(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$114
Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$98
$95
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of $108/night.

La Perla del Caribe(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$99
$79
La Kukula Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$102
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of $132/night.

Tree House Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$221
$191
All reviewsyoga platformthe cottagessoccer fieldpuerto viejothe ownerbeds were very comfortablebike rentalsandrewcashewsshalaslothsjunglelodgeblasspropertynaturetown
Reviewed August 30, 2012

There are no words to describe my recent stay at Cashew Hill. Everything from the cottage itself to the people who work there was just incredible. Upon our late, rainy night arrival, I was greeted by Edwin (hotel manager), the most sweet and cheerful man. Even though we were in the middle of a rainforest thunderstorm and extremely exhausted from the 5.5 hour taxi ride from SJO, Edwin was able to pick our spirits up and make us feel happy and welcome within seconds. He showed us to our cottage, took care of carrying our heavy suitcases, and even got us to hang out at the main deck for a few cervezas and a game of pool!
The next morning (after being woken up by the monkeys!!!! :D) we were finally able to see Cashew Hill in all its beauty! Every cottage is very unique, with a fully equipped kitchen, and offers amazing views of either the ocean or the rainforest. Right by our deck in Kinkajou was a gorgeous starfruit tree from which I was able to pick fruit, and just outside of it, a myriad of exotic flowers and plants.
At 7am, Edwin, Milena (housekeeper), and Raul (grounds worker) were already hard at work with coffee ready for all the guests. Edwin was enthusiastically helping a family staying in another cottage plan a day full of activities in the Puerto Viejo area. He obviously had a great rapport with all the local business owners, as they were prompt and punctual when picking guests up for activities. He provided amazing advice for what to do and see in the area and without him, the trip would not have been as fun filled as it was!
During our visit to Cashew Hill, we had the opportunity to stay at two cottages; Kinkajou and Sloth, both of which I LOVED and both of which I highly recommend! There is a beautiful little pool that is meticulously cleaned every day, a relaxing patio area where you can grill and eat dinner, and a great main deck area with a bar and pool table. Of course, there is also Reesey, the Cashew Hill guard dog, who is the sweetest 100 lb dog I've ever met and who loved nothing more but to play and run around the gated compound all day.
Cashew hill is fully enclosed and offers great safety and privacy. There are two doors and guests have keys to both. It is a perfect 5 minute walk from the bustle of the town. EVERYTHING is walking distance and if you're not into walking, bike rentals cost five dollars per day. Whether you cook your own food at the cottage or go out to eat, I guarantee it will be the best food you have ever tasted; can't go wrong with any of the restaurants or food markets.

I knew I would never want to go home when I saw how sad every guest leaving was and that is why I have already booked my return ticket to Costa Rica and my stay at Cashew Hill Jungle Cottages!

Room Tip: Stay at any of the available cottages, they are all so different and unique, you'll want to come back six times just to be able to stay in all of them!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BistraBotcheva
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this really wonderful place for our 25th anniversary. This place was perfect for us as we love wildlife,hiking, and prefer to stay in unique places like this. Our cottage had a full kitchen for cooking and just out our front deck was a beautiful view of the beach called Playa Negra. We cooked dinner almost every night and watched the sunset right over the beach and jungle. I know we were on the Caribbean and face east but somehow we got an amazing sunset almost every night. I enjoyed reading in the hammock and watching the toucans and other beautiful birds that were all around us. We even got to see a humming birds nest with a baby humming bird in it.
The property and gardens are amazing and because it is located on a small hill there was a really nice breeze. During the day it was really hot but surprisingly the temperature drop a LOT at night. With the fans on at night we actually had to ask Edwin the host for an extra set of sheets. Edwin was so nice and helpful. He helped us book tours and answered all of the questions we could think of. As a previous review mentioned there were no safes in the cottages but we asked Edwin and lucky they had a safe at the main lodge for guests to use. We locked up our passports and camera. Whenever we needed our camera we asked Edwin and he would retrieve it for us right away. One thing I was completely surprised about was that we had better internet there in the jungle then I do in our house in the city. It rained really hard one night and I think we lost the connection for a few hours but that was the only issue we had with it.
This was our first trip to Costa Rica so were were a little apprehensive and worried about security. There is alot of scary information out there about Puerto Veijo so we didnt know what to expect. Once we arrived we immediately were able to relax. The property was completely fenced in and only the guests were able to come and go with a key. While we were in town we looked at some of the other places that we almost stayed at and we couldn't have been more happy with our choice. We only stayed one week this trip but we cant wait to stay for two or three weeks next time. Keep up the good work guys! See you soon.

Room Tip: Playa Negra Cottage is Amazing!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Although we did not spend the night here we did chill out an good afternoon in the perfect surroundings of this nice cabin hotel. The owners Edwin and Andrew welcomed us perfectly with some refreshments and were able to tell us everything about Puerto Viejo and what to do there.

The next day Andrew showed us around town, watched a baseball match from the local team ( which they sponsor !) and took us to a very refreshing waterfall! Very warm and welcome people.. very reccomendable!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Yes, the property is beautiful and the cottages are very cute and artistically decorated. They also come with kitchens which is a huge plus, but I would definitely not stay here again for two big reasons: 1) it is BUGGY! and yes I know this is Costa Rica and it's to be expected, but they have no windows (just screens) so lots of bugs get through at night. Even using the mosquito nets over the beds, little bugs still got through and I woke up every morning totally bit up.
The second problem is that 2) the rooms have no safes, so there is no place to store things like your passport, laptop, extra $$, etc. while you're gone for the day. You have to either carry them with you or trust that your valuables will not get robbed during the day.
Basically, I stayed here during my very first trip to CR. It was kind of a big adjustment for me at first, given the heat, bugs, dirt, etc, and staying at this place will give you no relief from any of that. If you want to have a much easier transition to the country and more comfortable stay, I would highly recommend getting a place with windows, A/C, and a safe.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank C A
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Cashew Hill Rocks. Great accomodations and staff. Andrew is the perfect host. Anything we needed or wanted to do he took care of. The pool area is recently renovated and very refreshing to have on the beautifully manicured grounds. Walking distance to the beach store and shops makes Cashew Hill an easy choice in Puerto Viejo.

Room Tip: Unless you plan on leaving the PV area during your stay rental car is not neccesary.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family