There are no words to describe my recent stay at Cashew Hill. Everything from the cottage itself to the people who work there was just incredible. Upon our late, rainy night arrival, I was greeted by Edwin (hotel manager), the most sweet and cheerful man. Even though we were in the middle of a rainforest thunderstorm and extremely exhausted from the 5.5 hour taxi ride from SJO, Edwin was able to pick our spirits up and make us feel happy and welcome within seconds. He showed us to our cottage, took care of carrying our heavy suitcases, and even got us to hang out at the main deck for a few cervezas and a game of pool!
The next morning (after being woken up by the monkeys!!!! :D) we were finally able to see Cashew Hill in all its beauty! Every cottage is very unique, with a fully equipped kitchen, and offers amazing views of either the ocean or the rainforest. Right by our deck in Kinkajou was a gorgeous starfruit tree from which I was able to pick fruit, and just outside of it, a myriad of exotic flowers and plants.
At 7am, Edwin, Milena (housekeeper), and Raul (grounds worker) were already hard at work with coffee ready for all the guests. Edwin was enthusiastically helping a family staying in another cottage plan a day full of activities in the Puerto Viejo area. He obviously had a great rapport with all the local business owners, as they were prompt and punctual when picking guests up for activities. He provided amazing advice for what to do and see in the area and without him, the trip would not have been as fun filled as it was!
During our visit to Cashew Hill, we had the opportunity to stay at two cottages; Kinkajou and Sloth, both of which I LOVED and both of which I highly recommend! There is a beautiful little pool that is meticulously cleaned every day, a relaxing patio area where you can grill and eat dinner, and a great main deck area with a bar and pool table. Of course, there is also Reesey, the Cashew Hill guard dog, who is the sweetest 100 lb dog I've ever met and who loved nothing more but to play and run around the gated compound all day.
Cashew hill is fully enclosed and offers great safety and privacy. There are two doors and guests have keys to both. It is a perfect 5 minute walk from the bustle of the town. EVERYTHING is walking distance and if you're not into walking, bike rentals cost five dollars per day. Whether you cook your own food at the cottage or go out to eat, I guarantee it will be the best food you have ever tasted; can't go wrong with any of the restaurants or food markets.
I knew I would never want to go home when I saw how sad every guest leaving was and that is why I have already booked my return ticket to Costa Rica and my stay at Cashew Hill Jungle Cottages!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cashew Hill is an out of the ordinary place, just minutes by foot, from the center of Puerto Viejo. Walk up the path by the soccer field and find a sanctuary like no other. Glorious gardens with tropical plants of every type, birds of every color, butterflies, sloths, kinkajous, ocean views, ocean breezes and... Cozy cottages, designed with comfort and harmony in mind, await you. Cashew Hill has seven cottages designed with fully equipped kitchens, sleeping rooms, living areas... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Cashew Hill Jungle Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cashew Hill Jungle Cottages Hotel Puerto Viejo
- Cashew Hill Jungle Cottages Costa Rica/Limon