“Nice hotel, good location, lots of rules though”
Review of Hotel Pura Vida

Hotel Pura Vida
Reviewed July 24, 2010

My friend and I (mid 20's) decided to stay here instead of one of the hostels nearby. We were very impressed with the lobby and the rooms; we opted for the $40 a night room with the private bathroom and it was nice and very clean. The beds were made and new towels were given each day, which was nice, and the people at the desk were very helpful with things to do in the area.
My only complaints:
1) There were a lot of rules here, and I didn't appreciate the few times they were pointed out to us; they were not explained in the beginning and when the owners saw us breaking them they chastised us and made us feel like children doing something we shouldn't be doing. The woman owner was quite nice, but her husband was not very friendly and only spoke to us when he was chastising us about their many rules.
2) The window in the shower is just mesh wire with half of it covered, but when you are showering the covered part doesn't quite go high enough and we both felt very uncomfortable showering since people could definitely see us showering if they looked at the right moment.
Overall, however, it was a nice hotel and worth the price. Good location too, off the main street so you could get some sleep at night.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 15, 2010

(Travel group was 3 Americans in our late 20s). We rented 2 rooms at the hotel, each had a double bed and single bed with mosquito nets. There is a choice of ensuite bathroom or shared bathroom. The hotel is very clean and quiet (except for a nearby rooster, but this occurs at most hotels around town). Hotel has free wi-fi, plenty of hammocks for lounging, breakfast (for low charge). It is 2 blocks away from the main street in town, 5 minutes to the beach, across the street from a soccer field.

Recommend for couples, families, backpackers who want a clean, nice place to stay for little more than cost of hostel. Renting a bike is recommended as a fun and convenient way to travel to beaches like Cocles.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 4, 2010

We've spent 3 nights here and just loved it! Had a double room which was georgous, with Moskito - nets on the beds. We had a shared bathroom which was clean and spotless, there are doubles with private bathroom, too. For an extra fee u can have an excellent breakfast. The owners are very helpful, they speak german, english and spanish, and can advice u the best spots to see in Puerto Viejo. Moreover, the place was quiet, and, as it is fenced, also a safe place to stay!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2010

Location: 3 (short) blocks from "downtown" but that made it quiet.
Honesty: Superior - I left $110 in my laundry and it was handed back to me.
Facility: Locked in with keys for in/out access. Felt very safe.
Atmosphere: Felt like we were invading their privacy. Don't move furniture cushions or try to eat at the "sacred table" or you'll get a time out. I gave it a very good rating but Americans were distinctly treated in a less friendly manner than Europeans and Canadians by the owners - night staff was friendly. That's not just us, an American couple we talked with there felt the same. No place for teenagers.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2010

Myself and 2 friends were travelling through Costa Rica and staying in Puerto Viejo for Christmas. I decided to book this hotel for the days we were there as it looked like the perfect place to kick back and enjoy our christmas. Although beautiful, I was slightly concerned when we arrived quite late in the evening, and had the 'rules' of the hotel explained to us - we weren't allowed to wear shoes in public areas of the hotel (?), and we were not allowed to hang wet beach clothes out on the balcony of our room (amougst other things). There were 3 of us, but only 2 sets of keys. We went out on Christmas eve and got seperated. I had to return home with no key and ring the bell. The owner was not pleased and told me wew would 'speak about this in the morning'! The next morning, on CHRISTMAS DAY, the owner knocked on our door at 9am and told us we had a hour to leave. I tried to reason with him but he refused to talk about it. Surely a hotel is prepared for people sometimes going out, coming in late, loosing keys - I understand that it isn't ideal - but these things do happen. I was not at all impressed with my stay here or with the treatment we received, and I found the attitude of the owners rude and precious.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank MissNEC
Reviewed January 4, 2010

My husband and I were recommended this hotel from our friends who stayed there in Nov. They had a pleasant stay, but our experience was very different.

Here are our complaints:
1. The owners have a long list of rules, some of which they didn't tell us until after we had broken them -- and they made us feel like children reprimanding us. For example, we had hung our beach towel on the railing outside our room to dry. The owner swiftly came and removed our towel without any word to us. The rooms are just screened in, and as we were in our room, we could see him gathering our things. My husband went to ask him what he was doing, and he said that he was going to hang them on the clothes line.
2. The owners speak German, Spanish, and English. Assuming that I didn't speak any German, they made fun of other guests right in front of us, and then they even talked about us like we weren't there! Totally rude!
3. The mattress was very uncomfortable -- both my husband and I have very sore backs after spending 4 nights here.

The hotel does have a nice setting. The owners are very organized, and give a lot of information about what to do in the area. The dog is very cute. The rooms are very clean. If you don't mind a long list of rules, and value these other things then you should stay here -- if not, please avoid it!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mn2panama
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Spent only one night here, but left mine and girlfriend's pack here for 2 additional nights while we traveled to Bocas del Tora. We didn't want to take our huge packs with us and didn't want to leave in rental car while in Panama. Owner allowed us to lock the packs in a laundry room and everything was found exactly like we left it when we returned. Very safe location, with locked entrance ways to hotel area. Also had locked parking lot. Owner was very helpful with providing accurate information to do border crossing into Panama at Sixola. I thought everyone here were very nice, but they run a "tight ship." Which shows by being a very, very clean and safe hotel. For example no shoes upstairs. I actually liked this policy, but if that is not your style, this place may not be for you.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple