Tierra de Suenos Lodge
Reviewed April 6, 2011

My wife and I had a wonderful stay at Tierra De Suenos. The beaches are gorgeous, unspoilt, and full of areas shaded by palm trees--something greatly appreciated by my fair skin. On one of our first days, we rented sea kayaks and "surfed" the waves at Punta Uva. Another highlight was the incredible food in the surrounding areas. The grilled red snapper at Maxi's in Manzanillo was one of the best meals I have had.

Brendan and Angie are a delight. They embody the laid back attitude of "Pura Vida" while still providing for every need for their guests.

Reviewed April 4, 2011

I and my husband stayed for 3 nights at Tierra de Suenos and enjoyed it a lot!
The bungalows were nice, clean and comfortable and the staff was very helpful and friendly. Brendon and Angie are a great couple and know how to run the place real good!
The breakfast was delicious. There was also a library where we found some interesting books to read.
Playa Chiquita is an amazing beach, very quiet and serene, only within a 5 minute walk from the bungalows. Manzanillo is also not too far - within a 15-20 min bike ride and it is a must see area!

Reviewed March 30, 2011

We just returned from our 2nd trip to Playa Chiquita; I will have to force myself to do my semester break elsewhere. As a professor, my academic schedule allows generous time for travel - and I try to always explore new places - however after a long dreary winter I found myself dreaming of Playa Chiquita. We decided we should return for a relaxing week in the jungle.

I have thoroughly explored this small strip of beach, and Tierra del Suenos seems to be the best place to stay if you are looking for jungle beauty (this trip we saw a toucan and sloth from my bungalow!), as well as delicious, healthy food and very comfortable beds.

It is a short walk to one of the most beautiful beaches I have seen in Central America and just down the street is a nice combination of little food stores, cute restaurants and a great place to get a massage. Playa Chiquita has all you need for a relaxing week.

Returning to Tierra felt wonderful because Angie and Brendan (the proprietors) remembered my partner and me giving us a very warm welcome. They are gracious, helpful hosts and good cooks. They were excited to show us the work they have done to improve the Common house, gardens and bungalows- keeping the jungle at bay seems like it is truly a labor of love. The whole place feels warm because of their good energy.

I highly recommend Tierra and Playa Chiquita (although people who want lots of night life may want to stay closer to Puerto Viejo). It is a beautiful rustic place with all the amenities for a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: I think the bungalows are all similar
Reviewed March 29, 2011

I've been to Puerto Viejo on 3 separate occasions and have traveled around Costa Rica extensively. I've stayed at large variety of accommodations in CR as well as other points in Central America and Tierra de Suenos is easily my favorite. I make a point of spending at least a week there each time in am in CR and it usually is the highlight of my trip.
The bungalows are clean, charming and spacious but still cozy. The beds are large and amazingly comfortable, more akin to what one would find in higher end hotels rather than typical bed and breakfast places. The bathrooms, complete with hot water, are heads and shoulders above the average facilities that I've grown used to in Central America.
The bungalows are set back in the jungle and I think that makes it easy to forgot about the outside world and really relax for a while. Surrounded by the sights and sounds of a seemingly untouched natural environment its hard to believe that only a short ride away is a plethora of delicious restaurants and shops.
The owners, Brenden and Angie, are a pleasure to be around. They are extremely helpful and knowledgeable about the area and what sort of things there are to do. They offer breakfasts and lunches that are simple and delicious and are very accommodating to special diets. They have gone out of their way to make me feel comfortable and at home each time I have stayed there.
I cant recommend this place enough.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2011

My partner and I were newbies to CR, and our stay at Tierra de Suenos added to a great experience. Here is why:
- Brendan and Angie were superb hosts
- Make time for the cacao tour next door
- We wanted beach, sun, nature and no cell phones-that is exactly what we got.
- Bungalows were clean and comfortable. Yes, you can hear your neighbors pretty well, so practice being "close" and quiet before you go. Or, just practice there.....
- You are truly in the jungle, so expect to hear and see monkeys, hummingbirds, roosters, ants, sloths, etc. The jungle wakes up early, so don't plan to sleep in. Monkeys are usually up by 0430. After the second day, we were used to it.
- Bring bug spray/lotion
-Playa Chiquita is nice, but we LOVED Punta Uva (15 min walk).
-Restaurants: Jungle Love is the best! Sullivan's is great; Carol's also a great choice

Remember, it is Puerto Viejo CR: PURA VIDA- Relax and enjoy nature, the sun, beaches and great food!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2011

I have now been down to Tierra de Suenos twice and it is a true paradise. From the lush jungle, to the beautiful beach, to the comfortable bungalows, it really is a great place to get lost for a week. My wife and I are already trying to figure out how to get down there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 17, 2011

Cons: the owners, dirty and broken sink, missing hammock, unsealed screens that lead to creatures in the restroom, across the road from the beach

Pros: hmm. good breakfast, fairly quiet, a fantastic cacao tour nearby

So this place is cute but some attention needs to be spent on the bungalows. I don't know, like one work day on each to repair the plumbing and seal some screens and give the bathroom a good scrub. Either that or lower the price to what it is really worth: $50/night. But I am doubtful these things will happen as the owners were very handsoff with the property. It seemed as though they are on vacation (even their friends were there hanging out) and who gets their hands dirty on vacation?

The female owner also made us uncomfortable a few times when she complained that she called for a tour for guests like 20 times and the farmer never answered to set it up. We did go on the tour of the cacao farm and guess what, he doesn't answer right away because he is running a plantation! He is WORKING! (The tour was a must do by the way). She also explained that while Costa Rica grows fabulous coffee the locals have no idea how to make it; they use a sock she said with a wrinkled nose. I will say that the owners did create a great website, too bad it is misleading.

All in all, if you are going to Costa Rica to experience the country you will be very disappointed staying in this half taken care of place owned by by unprofessional Americans.

I always like to offer a solution with my complaints...
If you're looking for a cute, quieter town then stay in Cahuita not Chiquita. Cahuita is north of Puerto Viejo and is more quaint with beautiful beaches and a quiet national park.

3  Thank SebastianandLars
tierradesuenoslodge, Owner at Tierra de Suenos Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2011

Ouch......

When you see an outlying review it can be very interesting to read the reviewer’s other posts. In this case there is a pattern of a self acclaimed “hotel critic” staying at highly ranked tripadvisor hotels and then really “telling it like it is” afterwards as if they had their very own New York Times column. We hope you see it that way too!

It seems to us that only one thread of this review is legitimate and worth replying to since it was also mentioned negatively in another review. In this review it says, “(even their friends were there hanging out)”. In the other review the guests said that they felt uncomfortable coming into the reception house since we eat and basically live in here (I’m here right now).

It is true- In an effort to be available to guests we are in the reception house almost all the time and we cook and eat here and when we have friends visiting we hang out and eat with them in the reception. We never thought that an explanation of why this seems like someone’s home was needed, in fact we thought that was precisely why people choose to stay at B & B’s, but since it appears to offend some people here it is: The reception house is occupied from 7am until 9pm (sometimes 8pm if all check ins are here). That’s 14 hours per day 7 days a week. This is a small bed and breakfast which means that we are very hands on with everything and do most of the time in the reception ourselves. In the span of 14 hours we get hungry, cook and eat several times. When we have friends and family visiting, or some neighbors over for dinner we cook and eat with them in the reception. It’s just that simple. We are just people being people after all.

Guests are always welcome in the reception house, hence its name. There is a water filter here where you can fill bottles up. There are field guides and tons of area information and there’s a small library that you are welcome to borrow from. There are adirondack chairs on the front porch where you can sit, read and watch the humming birds. There are some games available (connect four, chess, dominoes and cards). We are happy to give advice, call taxis and set up tours at any point. But if you are coming into the reception house, BEWARE, you might see people doing everyday things like eating and talking.