“Great Place”

Hotel Banana Azul
Toronto
“Great Place”
Reviewed November 2, 2009

The staff at Banana Azul are great. Everyone is so friendly and nice. All staff made sure that we were well taken care of and that we had the best stay possible. The owners are great and make sure to always come and chat with you to make sure you are enjoying yourself. The staff are very accomodating and the rooms are kept very clean. I would recommend Banana Azul to anyone planning to travel to Puerto Viejo.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ronda404

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Grass Valley, Ca.
Reviewed October 29, 2009

My wife and I enjoyed our 3 night stay at this property very much. We stayed in the Dolphin Suite and enjoyed the large deck with hammock. We attempted to stay in the Howler suite, but it was booked during our stay. The top floor rooms here are numbered 1 to 8 with the Howler Suite being number one and the Dolphin suite being number 8. Rooms 2 to 7 are the Ocean view rooms. The lower the number, the closer you are to the ocean. Although our room was farthest from the ocean, we could still see the ocean from our deck and could clearly hear it from our room.

The food at the resort was good and reasonably priced. The tour operator at the property, Gecko Tours, was very helpful. We did a snorkeling trip to Cahita with a hike of the park. Our guide, Javier, was very good. We saw sloths, monkeys, frogs, snakes, iguanas, butterflys, and a variety of other insects and critters. We also scheduled a horseback ride/massage excursion with guide Vanessa. It was a great excursion and I highly recomend her.

• Liked — Close to ocean, very clean and scenic property, reasonable price.
  • Disliked — I can not think of anything negative about this propety.
  • Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
Reviewed October 12, 2009

...in the words of Mary Poppins.

We stayed during the second half of our honeymoon after trekking the Inca trail in Peru. We were quite exhausted and Banana Azul was the perfect antidote for all of that strenuous activity.

I'm not sure what I can add to all that's been said before. The staff were lovely, friendly without being intrusive, and the place has a wonderfully homely atmosphere, not pretentious or over-the-top. Food was great, as were the cocktails, especially the strawberry mojito's - yummy.

Its a nice stroll along the beach to town and there were some great restaurants in Puerto Viejo. We loved the sushi at Chilli Rojo and enjoyed a good steak at the Patagonia steak house.

We stayed in the Howler Suite and then in one of the Ocean Rooms. Both were lovely and cosy and the noise of the waves sends you off into a deep sleep.

You will find the essence of "pura vida" at Banana Azul.

oh.. and I couldn't finish without mentioning the gorgeous Gigi, Nella and Lunar who made me very happy every day.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Machupikachu
South San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 11, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Stayed both downstairs in a garden room and upstairs in the ocean view due to room availability. We preferred the ocean room due to it's openness. It was hot and sticky during our stay and we did not want to open our window (in the garden room) since it faced out into the common area. Although the garden area with the tub was great too! The breakfasts were great and we ended up eating at the hotel a lot since the town is a bit of a trek or a cab ride. Enjoyed and booked the zip line and white water rafting trip through the office. We just took the public bus to Chauita since it was cheap (maybe a dollar or so?) and very easy. Highly recommend taking the rafting trip from the hotel back to San Jose on your last day. Overall, we felt like the service at the hotel was just okay. Not like some previous reviews. The bartender was great but the front office staff was just so so. The owners were away for most of our stay so maybe that's why? However, we still had a wonderful time:)

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Denver, CO
Reviewed October 11, 2009

Cannot wait for the day I can return to Banana Azul. Amazing location, practically private beach, wonderful staff, heaven on the private balconies. My favorite weekend and vacation of all time!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed October 9, 2009

We really enjoyed our time at the Banana Azul and had wished we could have stayed longer. The photos online do not do the place justice. The hotel is literally on the beach and we could hear the waves crashing at night, though it did rain quite a bit in the evenings. By day, it stops and we were able to do our activities. I loved how they made a point to incorporate the outdoors into the hotel. There were a lot of open air spaces to eat, drink, and hang out. The walls were wood paneled, making everything feel very natural. While planning the trip I was nervous about making sure all of our activities were taken care of ahead of time, but once I got there I realized I could have showed up and had the staff arrange everything for me. We were picked up every day, taken to our excursion and back. No issues and had so much fun. We white water rafted, went hiking in Cahuita, ziplines, and the sloth sanctuary. Language is not an issue. Everyone was incredibly accommodating and friendly both staff and guests. We had almost all of our meals at the hotel and each one was delicious. My only frustration was the mosquito netting over the bed. I've never used one before and couldn't get used to it. Nonetheless, I hope venture back there some day. My family has a lot of great memories from that trip.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank tbolt10s
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 5, 2009

I admit I went with high expectations and they were met and exceeded. The pictures on line are great but when you arrive it will take your breat away. We stayed in the Howler Suite all week and ate almost every meal at Banana Azul, the meals were wonderful- I have to say I will crave those Banana pancakes forever! Franco the bartender made every drink, even my non- alcholic ones and my husbands Mojitos with great care -cutting every piece of fruit fresh and tearing every leaf of mint by hand- everything was fresh! We did venture out of our hammock into town several times. I admit I was a bit nervouse about crime in the area before I arrived but we were very comfortable and felt safe all the time, we did not venture out at night but several couples we met there did try different places at night and had very good experiences. We had a couples masage right there in our room the day after our jungle tour that we booked in advance and they were wonderful. My husbands back was bothering him when we arrived and we were actually able to get a massage with in a few hours after we arrived right there in our room which was the perfect start to the week! Katia was very helpful with all of our tours and plans before and during our stay. We took the fulll day jungle tour with ATV's and zip lines- I highly recommend this as the best way to really see this beautiful country- Aron and Andreas were our guides with Terraventura- we also did the Jaguar animal rescue, choco lady tour with waterfall- this was also a wonderful experience!) Everyone that we met was so kind and helpful, despite the fact we spoke no spanish, even the local shops were able to help us. If you want to really get away and do not want the typical commercial resort this is your oasis! The beautiful gardens, the open air concept, wonderful staff, great food (nothing fancy just wonderful freshly prepared simple meals) and the view ....well this place is just a little slice of heaven! I have traveled a lot for business and pleasure and believe that Banana Azul is a welcomed change from the typical beach resort- we had a hard time leaving but now that we have returned home I admit I miss it but I feel rejuvenated and refreshed and would like to thank all at Banana Azul for one of the best vacations we have ever had! I can still hear the waves splashing!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
#1 of 12 in Cahuita
Hotel Shawandha Lodge
Hotel Shawandha Lodge
#7 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Been to Hotel Banana Azul? Share your experiences!