“Customer Service Second to None”
Review of Hotel Banana Azul

Hotel Banana Azul
Reviewed November 30, 2008

I hope they will post this review - I will not make it to my previously reserved holiday at the Banana Azul due to circumstances beyond my control.

But I feel I must compliment the amazing and personal customer service I received not only during the booking and planning phase but also after letting Nina know that I will not be able to make it.

Nina worked with me for days to set up an excursion schedule and itinerary that was perfect, and when I had to cancel, I took the time to call her personally to apologize. She has been lovely and responsive, and I promise...I WILL MAKE IT THERE as soon as I can.

I cannot recommend Banana Azul highly enough. They have truly the most incredible customer service skills I have ever encountered.

Stayed: February 2008
There are newer reviews for Hotel Banana Azul

Reviewed November 11, 2008

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at Banana Azul for 3 nights. We would loved to have extended but didn't have time as we were just passing through.

I could not recommend Banana Azul more highly. It is a lovely relaxed place to chill out. The rooms are simple (great value for the price), very comfortable & clean, and there is great pride taken in the place.

The best part are the owners Colin & Roberto and their staff - especially Nina who helped book all our activities and onward travel in Costa Rica. They are so helpful, friendly and you really feel like you are staying with friends. Even their gorgeous dogs (especially Gigi) seem to welcome you with a wag of their tail and smile each morning.

From the offer of a welcome drink in the bar on arrival, to the free towels you can take with you when you head off on a days excursion, it is so lovely to stay somewhere where you don't feel nickel and dimed at every turn.

The breakfasts were lovely, and the dinners very enjoyable. Even though we left very early the day of our departure before the breakfast serving time, when we checked out Roberto insisted we have breakfast before we leave - a simple gesture but very thoughtful.

Banana Azul is great value and a wonderful experience. I could not recommend it more highly.

Reviewed November 10, 2008

We stayed 3 nights here in October in the dolphin room. A great place to stay. They room was very large and the deck was my husbands favorite place to hang in the evenings with a beer (relaxing in the hammock). The staff was wonderful and the food was great. Roberto and Colin are very nice. Roberto had a special birthday pancakes made for me and sang me happy birthday with some of the staff. It brought tears to my eyes... it was so sweet. The dinner is so great and reasonable that you really do not want to go into town to eat.

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed November 8, 2008

Banana Azul is truly a tropical paradise. We stayed there for 15 days and it wasn't long enough! The accommodation surpassed our wildest expectations. It is meticulous, unique and affordable. The included breakfasts were varied and delicious, the hamburgesas and choice of grilled sandwiches for lunch fabulous and the dinners were to die for! In fact, perhaps we did expire and were in heaven! Every night they had a salad bar and a choice of 2 entrees and the food was so good we only headed into Puerta Viejo for dinner once . . that was a Sunday as their restaurant was closed. The hosts, Colin and Roberto, were wonderful as were all staff who proved to be helpful and accommodating. It is apparent that they are very happy to be working at Banana Azul. The grounds are spectacular thanks to master landscaper, Rick, and Nina, in the office was a delight to deal with. She arranged our river rafting adventure (this is not to be missed . . unbelievable) and our overnighter to Tortaguero for a real jungle adventure. If you plan on visiting Puerta Viejo, Banana Azul is the best place to stay. You will not be disappointed. WE LOVED IT!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2008

Staying at Banana Azul was like staying with family. Colin and Roberto made our vacation very special. It was by far the best trip we have ever had. Their entire staff went out of their way to make us comfortable. Always attempting to communicate with us despite the language barrier. Nina and Augustine were always helpful with excursions. The gardens are beautiful and gardener Rick was always eager to share his latest plant discoveries. Meals at the restaurant were excellent and always varied. We ended up not eating anywhere else. The nearly secluded miles of sandy beaches that sit out front of the hotel provided daily walks of early morning solitude. If you want a unique vacation that feels like home Banana Azul is the place to go. I know we will be back.
Colleen and Ken, Campbell River, BC, Canada

Reviewed October 28, 2008

What an amazing vacation experience we had at Banana Azul. Colin and Roberto and staff are nothing short of spectacular. This is a quaint and cozy B & B style place. You can view our entire vacation trip to Costa Rica at MeetTheGordons (dot) com.

Reviewed October 22, 2008

No need to reiterate what others have said about Banana azul. I'm one of those fortunate people who rarely gets bitten by mosquitos. There were a lot in the room, though. The hotel provides bug repellent that plugs in (kinda like the glade deodorizers). Although I saw the mosquitos I wasn't bitten by any. A thin layer of bug repellent at night should do the trick. Although it was hot during the day, it cools off significantly at night. For me, the best part about my stay was the ease of scheduling and paying for tours. Nina was extremely helpful. I was even able to book a hotel reservation in La Fortuna, as i was spending 2 nights there, and Nina booked the reservation, the volcano and hot springs excursionis, and billed everything to my banana azul account. I didn't have to worry about checking in at the other hotel, everything was paid for. It was GREAT.

The public areas were also immaculate. The staff was constantly cleaning.

In puerto viejo, i guess i didn't look hard enough, but i found the food to be a little pricier than expected. I paid about $10 for lunch. Im told, however, that there are spots where the locals go that are much cheaper.

The only thing that freaked me out were the bats. I went for a walk around dusk in the forest just behind the hotel, and as the sun fell, swarms of bats emerged. They're harmless I'm told, just a little creepy.

The zipline tour and the whitewater rafting on the pacuare were the highlights of my stay. Well worth the fees.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
#1 of 12 in Cahuita
Hotel Shawandha Lodge
Hotel Shawandha Lodge
#7 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Been to Hotel Banana Azul? Share your experiences!