“Dreaming of Banana Azul”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Banana Azul

Hotel Banana Azul
Lunchticketfilms
“Dreaming of Banana Azul”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2008

Ah, Banana Azul will haunt our dreams...in a good way. The rooms and grounds are tastefully decorated and impeccably clean. Great view of the ocean from our room and waking up to the sound of birds, waves and the delicious breakfast each morning was a treat. Location was terrific, just a 20 minute walk or a few minute cab ride into Puerto Viejo. Roberto, Colin, Michele and Maribelle were all incredibly kind, helpful, knowledgeable and hospitable. We didn't want to leave at the end of our stay. We will most definitely be back!

Peter Chen and Emily Tann
Los Angeles, CA

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank Lunchticketfilms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Central NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2008

We arrived in Puerto Viejo with few questions as Colin was diligent in making a first time traveler to Costa Rica feel assured they would have a safe and fun journey. From recommending a place to stay at over night in San Jose to bus and taxi suggestions little was left up to the imagination. Read Colin's blog ahead of time it is extremely informative! His establishment is beautiful. well appointed and a home away from home! I did not include pics because that is already covered by others and everything you see there is real! We loved our open air bedroom upstairs...I have been dreaming of a sleep-on porch for years and that is exactly what we got for a week. Didn't need air-conditioning, no problems with bugs! Everything you need has been thought of and more. We are already missing the sound of crashing waves, bird calls, frogs, turtles, butterflies and the list goes on!
Michele, the restaurant manager is efficient and fun! The rest of the staff were polite and always greeted you with a smile! We made friends with other guests while we were there. We chose to eat dinner on site more often than not because the food was so good! It was fun to commune with the guests and staff each evening! Breakfasts, which are provided, were excellent, too! The beach is right at your doorstep, not a real swimming beach but a taxi ride can fix that.
We did not rent a car and used taxis for a week...this is possible as a cab comes within five minutes when called. A metered cab caught outside the bus terminal is half the price but often can not be found but the independent driver is equally fair-priced. Punta Uva is a great swimming beach.
It rained a good deal while we were there. Normally, being from upstate NY, we would be disappointed about this but the establishment was so nice we happily read books for hours on end. Bus ride from San Jose was fine especially for $14 round trip (check your tkt carefully for a direct fare or you may find yourself getting on a bus with a lengthy connection you don't desire).
People watching in PV is fun we're Key West fans and this was just as fun! Hate to "talk-it up" too much or it will no longer stay a hidden treasure! Thank you Colin, Michele, and staff !

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing it was all great!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank homec
Detroit
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2008

What a great retreat the owners, Colin and Roberto have built, it fits into the jungle and beach as if Mother Nature had created it herself. My wife and I, our daughter and her friend had two rooms for five days and it was home away from home. Everyone involved did a great job, rooms perfect, food very good, beach wonderful, staff fantastic. We all miss Banana Azul, hope to see you again soon. The Booth party.

• Liked — The relaxed feeling you get staying there!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Railfanfilm
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2008

My partner and I spent 10 wonderful days at Bananna Azul. We were so impressed with the professional and personable service given by the staff. The accomodations were fantastic and the views of the beach were unbelieveable! The owner's, management, kitchen staff, housekeepers, and even the landscape staff all treated us as though we were their own personal guests. We honestly were so impressed with how wonderful this place is but we do have one warning though "The food prepared at the resort is addictive!!!"

Thank you Colin, Roberto, Micheal, Patty and everyone else at the Bananna Azul!!

You certainly have 2 guests guaranteed to refer and return!

John & Dewayne

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chrlthurm
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2008

Finally writing a review 7 months after my stay at Banana Azul. I was planning to do this much earlier!

I try to take the rankings on this website with a grain of salt, but the Banana Azul definitely deserves the #1 spot for Puerto Viejo. My girlfriend Kelly and I stayed in the Howler Suite for 5 nights at the beginning of September and it was perfect. A beach all to ourselves at times, amazing hosts.

After our 5 night stay we moved down the road to the "bells and whistles" Beach Suite (on the Costa Rica Tree House compound) down in Punta Uva, where we wound up with a lot less service and hospitality for a lot more money. We wished we'd stay the extra 2 nights hanging out with Colin and Roberto.

As someone with a distaste for big resorts, looking for a relaxing beach location, Banana Azul truly fit what I had in mind. After I'm done seeing the rest of the world, I'll be back. Although I might not be able to hold out that long.

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Longshot78
Philadelphia PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2008

My partner and I visited the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica and found a paradise haven at Banana Azul. The owners, Colin and Roberto, have succeeded in creating a comfortable and uncomplicated place for people of any age and all walks of life to come and enjoy a relaxing time amidst the beauty of the best of Costa Rica. However long you are planning on staying at Banana Azul, add an extra day or two--we wish we did.

• Liked — Quiet and comfortable atmosphere.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EdOcean
Tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2008

Want to get away into a tropical paradise and feel like its really your Place? Then this is the place for you. I went for a 2 week stay, chose banana because after reading a little about colin and Roberto and some of Colin's helpful advice about travel to Costa Rica, I felt a comfort and confidence about them. I was right on the mark.
I started what seemed was going to be the worst vacation, delayed flight, missed connection, arrived to late for my rental, unsettling trip to a not so comfy motel, flat on the rental, mixed directions, ariving late at night and in a tropical storm with only the internet advice from colin about the road. I made it was so well recieved, instantly felt like I had arrived at my favorite aunts house and my bedroom was all made up. I stayed in the Garden suite, pretty cool, not the high up ocean view but a cool room with a giant garden tub and on my first night I even had a huge frog visiting the garden.
I'm not going to say this is the ritz, so if you want room service a 5 star resort w conciere and bell hops, good luck anywhere on the carribean side. This place is like staying with the most gracious and caring friends you have. Although as far as the conciere, no place I've ever been, and thats quite a few, have I ever found anyone more able to find what you want, or suggest a better time, book any activity and make your stay so easy and accomidating as colin, and his wonderful staff.
Thanks so much and I'll se ya in Dec
Dennis

• Liked — the tropical feel without the comercial hits
  • Disliked — the road to town
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
#6 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Passion Fruit Lodge
Passion Fruit Lodge
#1 of 13 in Cahuita

Been to Hotel Banana Azul? Share your experiences!