“The friendliest place to be.”
Review of Hotel Banana Azul

Hotel Banana Azul
Reviewed March 17, 2008

Want to get away into a tropical paradise and feel like its really your Place? Then this is the place for you. I went for a 2 week stay, chose banana because after reading a little about colin and Roberto and some of Colin's helpful advice about travel to Costa Rica, I felt a comfort and confidence about them. I was right on the mark.
I started what seemed was going to be the worst vacation, delayed flight, missed connection, arrived to late for my rental, unsettling trip to a not so comfy motel, flat on the rental, mixed directions, ariving late at night and in a tropical storm with only the internet advice from colin about the road. I made it was so well recieved, instantly felt like I had arrived at my favorite aunts house and my bedroom was all made up. I stayed in the Garden suite, pretty cool, not the high up ocean view but a cool room with a giant garden tub and on my first night I even had a huge frog visiting the garden.
I'm not going to say this is the ritz, so if you want room service a 5 star resort w conciere and bell hops, good luck anywhere on the carribean side. This place is like staying with the most gracious and caring friends you have. Although as far as the conciere, no place I've ever been, and thats quite a few, have I ever found anyone more able to find what you want, or suggest a better time, book any activity and make your stay so easy and accomidating as colin, and his wonderful staff.
Thanks so much and I'll se ya in Dec
Dennis

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled solo
3  Thank bigravioli
There are newer reviews for Hotel Banana Azul

Reviewed March 15, 2008

All these rave reviews for Banana Azul are true. We stayed for a week here and we cannot express how perfect the place is. Every one of the staff was freindly and helpful. Colin and Roberto are the perfect hosts. I dont know how they do it. I guess waking up to paradise every day helps. Its hard work keeping all your guests happy but they manage to do this every day. I just wish we had spent our last week there as well. We found there is a big difference between this area of Costa Rica and the area around Tamarindo. I hope it doesnt change too much by the time we get a chance to visit again. Our vacation at Banana Azul was worth every penny and we were pleasantly surprised at how reasonable it is. Thank you Roberto and Colin for sharing this place.

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank Murphyster
Reviewed March 10, 2008

Having traveled for 10 days across Costa Rica, our family chose Puerto Viejo to rest and relax for our final week. What we found when we pulled into Banana Azul was more than we ever expected. My first thought ..no picture on the website could capture this .. both the natural beauty with the black sand beach with it's crashing white waves meeting the dense green rainforest and the perfectly manicured gardens, the inviting ambience so carefully created with attention paid to every detail, waiting to offer you tranquility and as much hospitality as you desire. Colin and Roberto have succeeded in sharing their dream on a daily basis to help make others dreams come true. The rooms are delightfully spotless, welcoming and open to the sounds around you. The food was the best we found .. even in town - with a special presentation for Valentine's Day that surprised even our hosts! The staff were always ready to help, from a hammock for the beach to guided excusions, it can all be arranged right at the little front desk. We chose river rafting, a hike to the Bri Bri waterfall with some other guests and rented motorcycles for a day. We visited town several timeswhich is a $4 taxi ride or a 20 minute beach walk ... don't miss the resturant Bread & Chocolate! All of these we highly recommend right along with a good book next to the turtle pond, a walk on the beach with Rosa the dog or just a snooze before dinner on your balcony in the hammock. You can do it all or do nothing, but you will be wrapped in pure serenity at Banana Azul. My heart aches to return ... Thank you Colin & Roberto
p.s. Friends of Bill - In Town M-W-F your covered!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank kidcare99
Reviewed March 10, 2008

First of all, if you go to Costa Rica, you must visit the Carribean Coast. Second of all, if you're going to the Carribean Coast then you must stay at Banana Azul. It had everything that I wanted! The size of the place is perfect - enough so that you've got the opportunity to mingle and enjoy dinner with other guests, but small enough that if you want peace and quiet, you've hit the motherload. It's close enough to Puerto Viejo that you can walk there along the beach and enjoy the great food - and there's lots of it - in town. But it feels secluded, along the beach, just outside of town, so no traffic, no smell of diesel, just the sound of the waves and the gentle, helpful, friendly staff.
And if you like adventure, it's a great base. The front desk is super helpful with planning trips. Recommendations; take the white water rafting trip from San Jose or Arenal to arrive there.
Go for a hike through at Cahuita and Manzanillo, you'll see plenty of wildlife (sloths, monkeys, those great Blue Morpho butterflies).
Speaking of sloths, the Soth Sanctuary is cool too for a close up view of the cute little critters.
But I digress, Banana Azul is peaceful, pleasant and comfortable. It's what I had hoped to find on my vacation, relaxation and adventure!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank Harlon
Reviewed March 8, 2008

I spent 10 days at this property late February-early March 2008. All the positives mentioned in previous reviews are true. The pictures on the website don't do the place justice.

Roberto and Colin have created a wonderful and beautiful environment. This is an eco friendly place supporting values of diversity in its guests and empowerment of its staff. The staff are congenial and helpful.

A new evening cook has been in place for a while and the set dinners are tasty, filling and very good value and reflect a latino tropical flair.

The property is gay-owned and bills itself as "straight friendly". While I was there about 25-30% of guests at any one time were gay men. If this makes you uncomfortable then you should stay elsewhere.

As a gay man myself travelling solo, I found it a great mix of guests, enjoyed interacting with just about everyone and shared tables at dinner with wonderful stimulating people both gay and straight alike.

I'll be back!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank smacdvanbc
Reviewed March 6, 2008

Bananza Azul is a great hotel/cabina right on the beach just outside of Puerto Viejo. A lot of care and attention has been taken to build this beautiful accommodation. My sister and I traveled around Costa Rica for a month and this was by far the nicest place we stayed. We were on a budget but splashed out for this and it was well worth it.

They do have a restaurant on site, however when we were there they were not operating it as the chef was not up to par for what they were trying to offer guests. That said my first evening there I was invited to have a home cooked (by Roberto himself) dinner with the family as my sister was up in the room ill. What a treat, and a great way to start off the visit. Although there was not a dinner service in the restaurant there was a wonderful breakfast everyday, and all the staff were so wonderful.

The rooms were gorgeous with dark native timbers, and furnishings. The balconies were large with table and hamock. Although it is all one building and they are all joined Colin and Roberto have separately each room balcony with folding bamboo dividers. I loved the bathrooms as well. The nicest ones we had on our trip, and being a girl.. well let's just say I appreciated how nice they were.

I would recommend bringing a head lamp with you as it does tend to get dark a little early and if you are riding a "pee wee herman" bike back from the the village it would make it easier to see. We loved renting the bikes and going on adventures from Banana Azul!!! There is so much to see and do around there.

Also worth noting is how safe it is at Banana. Although, we did not feel unsafe in the town at night I liked it that we had our little safe haven just a short 10 minute bike ride, or 5 minute taxi ride away. It is a little rastafarian in the town.

I would go back there in a heartbeat. My sister and I considered this part of Costa Rica to be our favourite (and we covered he whole country).

Don't hesitate in staying here.

Christine

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank lakesunshine
Reviewed March 1, 2008

My boyfriend and I spent 4 nights here at Banana Azul and enjoyed it very much. We had corresponded with the property beforehand and had events and a cab reserved. Everyone there was extremely helpful with getting around in Puerto Viejo as we had never been there before.

The property is beautiful, in a quiet area right by a great beach. We stayed in an Ocean Room which was great and had a little balcony. My boyfriend was a little shocked to not have a TV or phone, but he got over it quickly. We ate breakfast and dinner every night there, and the food was always great. They had wine, beers, water and sodas available also.

The town is very undeveloped and charming, and you get used to the slow, being outdoors/beer and sunburn quality. We rented a scooter to get around, which I would completely recommend if you know how to operate one- the sun gets very hot and I couldn't imagine walking or biking. Taxis to and from the town were very inexpensive, about $4 american each way.

We grew very attached to the animals- they were very sweet and well-behaved. Everyone was friendly in the town- everybody seems to know each other! We would love to return soon.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
#1 of 12 in Cahuita
Hotel Shawandha Lodge
Hotel Shawandha Lodge
#7 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Been to Hotel Banana Azul? Share your experiences!