“Made me wanna move to Costa Rica”
Review of Kaya's Place

Kaya's Place
Washington D.C.
“Made me wanna move to Costa Rica”
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Kaya's Place was a complete diamond in the rough! I absolutely loved it! The staff were more than pleasant and helpful; they provided a great atmosphere in addition to the beautiful craftsmanship of the hotel itself. I would recommend that any and everyone go to Puerto Viejo and stay at Kaya's Place; it is an experience that lasts a lifetime. PURA VIDA!

• Liked — everything!
  • Disliked — there is nothing to not like
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Virginia
Reviewed January 24, 2009

I recently stayed at Kaya's Place in Puerto Viejo for the first two weeks of January 2009. I heard of the hotel by word of mouth from several friends and was pleased to love it as much as they had.
The hotel itself is beautiful, with a very open aired, caribbean, organic, artsy feel to it. The main floor lobby/bar is open-air and faces the beautiful 'playa negra' beach a mere few feet away. The hotel is located about a block or two from the center of town, which is great because it means no noise at night. Each room is unique. My room had a very large wooden bunk bed with full mattresses and plenty of shelves and hooks to hang items around the room. The rooms come with at least two fans so that you can sleep comfortably.
The hotel staff was the best part of the stay at Kaya's. They are warm, hospitable and outgoing. I am very surprised and amused by the last comment made about the management because obviously whoever wrote that has little or no sense of humor. Kaya's Place is probably best suited for the laid back traveler who can ask questions to the staff and expect not only useful answers, but some humor along with it.
In the mornings, you can order delicious breakfast food downstairs such as a freshly made breakfast burrito or french toast. During the day and at night, the bartender is always smiling and ready to offer you a drink and good conversation. It is also nice to know that there is a security guard at night to keep an eye on the place.
I recommend Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica to any traveler, and Kaya's Place for your visit there.
Happy travels!

*Nina*

Stayed January 2009
New York City
Reviewed January 20, 2009

Kaya's is a jungle lodge in seach of a sitcom. Margaritaville would be a good name. The fubsy owner runs the place like a beach house for buds, except everyone pays. Much more than they should. His snide replies to even the most basic questions (Q. Would you like my name so that you can attach it to my laundry? A. Who else would have a cute little flowered pillowcase like that?) set the tone for a mildly insulting stay during which towels molder, sheets never change and the customer is always wrong. There are lots of other places to stay in and around Puerto Viejo but I was disinclined to move because my room was dirt cheap, or so I thought. (Turns out it was just dirty.) I booked and paid a deposit on four nights in a $28 double or "garden room" two months before my January stay. On check-out day, the owner whipped up a bill based on an inflated "holiday rate" because I stayed over the New Year. There was no mention of a holiday rate when I booked, and my deposit was based on the advertised $28-per-night rate then, miraculously, the holiday rate appeared on line. I paid it -- can't argue with the Internet -- but regretted not opting for a nice, clean place from the get-go.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the sneaky management
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank cherrybomb66
Kayasplace, Management Team at Kaya's Place, responded to this review, February 5, 2009
Dear SS,

You hit the nail on the head, and we are quite honored by your accuracy. The
name of our running sitcom is Margaritaville! It has also been called the
Pirate's Ship, but we all have been sticking with the former. It really is
amazing that we can find such a diverse cross section of tourism walking
through our doors at the end of the road on the Southern Caribbean coast of
Costa Rica. Some never want to leave. Some such as you, add nights to
their original reservation and extend their stay. And others, also like
yourself, will never come back. Not every place is for everyone and these
differences need to be celebrated as that is what makes life so interesting.
Putting a smile on your face represented one of the greatest challenges we
have faced here at Kaya's Place in quite sometime. From extra lamps,
blankets, towels and even fluffing your damp clothes in our dryer at
midnight so you could pack with peace of mind. We feel that all of the
requests you brought to our attention were handled swiftly and attentively.

As to your confusion about the rate you were paying, you again are correct.
All of the rates for all of our rooms during all of the different seasons
are clearly defined on the rates page of our website. We assume that the
"small" print you refer to on our website is the bold section at the top of
the rates page that explains our policy during premium high season which
falls between Christmas and New Year, and Semana Santa (Holy Week). This is
a very common practice in this area as we are flooded with people enjoying
our beaches during these national holidays. We are sorry that you did not
notice this while you were making your reservation. The deposit you paid
before your arrival was based on these rates.

Please come back to The Caribe Sur of Costa Rica to enjoy all of the natural
wonders this area offers. We hope you find yourself to be a better match
with your future lodging choices. We apologize for falling short of your
expectations. And we hope you continue to travel with your super cool
pillow case.

PURA VIDA

Kaya's Place Management Team
(Proofread by 10 repeat guests)
Sheffield, England
Reviewed September 15, 2008

I got bed bugs at Kaya's Place. When I showed the hotel my bites, they said it was mosquitoes. It was *not* mosquitoes, it was definitely bed bugs, as other travellers who have seen bed bug bites could attest too. This place has a cool atmosphere, but it's dirty and crawling with bugs.

• Stayed September 2008
2 Thank Sovann
Kayasplace, Manager at Kaya's Place, responded to this review, October 20, 2008
At Kaya's Place we take measures to control the bugs on property as we should living in this jungle environment. Our organic pesticides work well and we do appologize if you feel you received bites while you were a guest with us. This is the first such complaint we have received regarding bed bugs and are going to take your comments seriously and do a refumagation in the rooms. Once again, we at Kaya's Place appologize for any inconvenience you experienced.
Bend, OR
Reviewed September 2, 2008

I must say I am surprised by some of the other reviews on this web site. I traveled to Puerto Viejo with my girlfriend, and moved around to a few different hotels while there, just to see what was available. After stopping in Kaya's Place, we stayed put the rest of the time. The owners and staff made us feel very welcome, and were supremely helpful and knowledgeable. The view of the beach and bay was just breathtaking! A comfortable balcony with hammocks ended up being a favorite spot for me. As for the rooms, I was shown many different styles and sizes. We chose one of the smaller ones which were a little more budget friendly, but all of them were beautiful and affordable. All in all I give it high marks, and am already planning our return trip.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank oregon59
New Jersey
Reviewed March 1, 2008

Wow,....where to begin? My wife and I had planned a small private beach wedding in Puerto Viejo. We had booked a house and a room in a neigboring hotel.Turns out all her family and almost all her friends showed up for the activities (like25 or 30).The hotel we were staying at said they did not want so many people on the property.Well we went and spoke to J.T. and Sarah over at Kayas Place and they bent over backwards to accommadate us! We had been there previously for breakfast and cocktails earlier in the week and found everyone there to be honest and friendly.I have been to Costa Rica 5 times and my wife is a Tica.I have stayed at everything from a $10 to a $300 a night hotel,and as far a bang for the buck you can't beat it! True PURA VIDA!..is it the Four Seasons?..no, is it laid back.?...Oh Yeah!...and the view of the beautiful black sand beach just can't be beat! The place also has beautiful local wood architecture. Sarah and J.T. did so much to help us pull off a somewhat unplanned wedding I can never thank them enough!! My wife and some of her family have stayed there since our wedding and they are locals (Ticos)Locals know the best deals.So visit Kayas Place and tell them Chris and Silvia from Jersey sent you! Kayas Place...something for everyone!

• Liked — The fun and friendly atmosphere.Wonderful owners. Good food. Big dogs(bring a chicken)
  • Disliked — I didn't get to spend enough time there....But I'm headin down soon...so save me a room!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
DJQueenB
Reviewed January 19, 2008

I just got back from Costa Rica. Me and two of my girlfriends traveled there and spent the majority of our time on the Carribean side of the country, and most of our nights at Kaya's Place. Kaya's Place was one of the friendliest, most welcoming and exciting places to stay. This is why I came back. My husband and I spent our honeymoon (2005) there and stayed at Kaya's the majority of our trip. JT, the owner was awesome, friendly, and hilarious, not to mention the property is beachside along Playa Negra, which made the place breezy, beachy, and really fun. Since my first trip in 2005, they have installed a bar which stocks awesome alcohol, an awesome staff, and an awesome atmosphere on the late night.

Rodrigo the bartender has a heart of gold and will make you laugh all night long if you can meet him half way with your Spanish. Regardless though, he is warm, friendly and loving to all travelers.

I personally have stayed in their private gardnen room cabins and their upper level shared bath cabins. At an affordable price you get the beach, the good food, the atmosphere of Puerto Viejo, plus the additional love, friendliness, great lodging, great staff, free internet, great recommendations for food, travel and fun, and a killer vibe at Kaya's Place. They even have boogie boards you can take out to the beach with you. I have been there twice and I am already trying to work my magic to try and make it back soon. What can I say, "pura vida!"

• Liked — The staff, the beach, the bar, the overall upeep of the joint.
  • Disliked — They should fix up some bikes and offer a bike rental...
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends