I stayed in Kaya's place for two months. I chose the cheapest room with shared bathroom, while the hotel has much more luxurious room if you are looking into that. My room was clean everyday with detergent (I saw it happen anytime I stayed late) while my sheets were changed and my towel was folded into a little animal (I had an elephant looking towel, it was cute).
The room gave out on the ocean, so I had the chance to fall asleep to the waves crashing on Playa Negra. The reason for that is that the only thing separating the hotel and the beach is a little road. Every morning I would wake up to the fresh ocean air, and I could go downstairs to have a hearty breakfast of bacon, eggs and potatoes (or granola, depending on my mood).
The restaurant downstairs has excellent food (Italian american). The pizza are wood oven, and much better than Dominoe's or Papa john's. The restaurant always tries new things, don't forget to ask if there is anything that isn't on the menu that they can make.
On Saturday and Sunday morning, they have brunch where you can order any brunch items (such as delicious eggs benedict. Yum!)
The bar also recently got Belgium beers. Screw Imperials, and have deliciously cheap beer. Luke's taproom has also its own brewery, Bri Bri springs, that has some refreshing Ginger mead for extremely cheap and honey mango beers which is very tropical. But once again, they have belgium beer. Really, the only place in Costa Rica where you can find draft Belgium beer.
The staff is incredible. I have never encountered such friendly and helpful staff in my 5 years of travels. Anything I needed they would have the answer right away. When I needed help booking a shuttle to Panama, they not only did it for me, but made sure I was going to the right place, and was not getting screwed over by the price. Whenever I had problems with my bike, they fixed it within the day, and the security at night would always call me a taxi if I needed one. Never did I feel in danger at Kaya's place, and never did I feel like I was treated with a dollar sign above my head.
The place is clean (it was scrubbed from the ceilings to the walls the day dry season started, and they remodeled the showers). The room is more than what I expected. My friends in town are jealous and I get to eat well!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Door is Always Open at Kaya's Place... Kaya's Place is a 26 room lodge on the stunning Black Beach in Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica. Built in the Afro-Caribbean "Rustico" style, the hotel is artistic and unique. Local woods and materials have been used in their natural state, making each room different and beautiful. Every space you encounter will be a pleasurable experience. The sound of the waves is always in the background, soothing and tranquil, guaranteed to take you away from the stress of everyday life. Inside the hotel, you will find many places to relax. The reception area is more like a living room, with a gigantic sofa, television, people to chat with and view of the ocean. The large deck upstairs has a wonderful ocean view with hammocks and sofas - perfect for reading or taking a siesta. In the back, gardens line the walkway, filled with local plants and flowers. A covered sitting area in the garden offers another opportunity to meet and enjoy the company of others while you stay with us. Our restaurant is spacious and open with view of the ocean and a small creek with fish, water lilies, crab and other water life. Located in Puerto Viejo on the Caribbean Coast, the area is blessed with natural beauty in the form of dense jungle with impressive flora and fauna and some of the world's most beautiful beaches. Kaya's Place is part of the growing eco-tourism industry that supports the preservation of almost 2 million square meters of primary rainforest. Taxes from this industry support the many national reserves and efforts to maintain the natural resources. We are dedicated to preserving these resources while sharing it with all the people that come to know this amazingly beautiful part of Costa Rica. Our recent renovation of Kaya's Place was completed with the same philosophy. No lumber or materials were taken from the primary rainforest. Much was recycled wood or dead fall from local farms and lumber that had washed up from the ocean and rivers. With these natural and renewable materials, we achieved a unique character with rustic and artistic designs. Also all the walls are painted by hand, with many details and awesome drawings. BE OUR ECO-GUEST Our Door is Always Open at Kaya's Place - We Hope to See You Soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, HostelWorld, Travelocity and Hotels.com so you can book your Kaya's Place reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kaya`s Place Hotel Puerto Viejo
- Kayas Place Puerto Viejo
- Kayas Place Hotel Puerto Viejo
- Kaya's Place Costa Rica/Limon