“Overpriced, poor service and old”
Review of Kaya's Place

Kaya's Place
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed at kaya's for three nights with two persons in the 4-bed room with a shared bathroom for 30 dollars/night.

First start with the positives:
- great location, on a few minuten walking from town, right on the beach
- WIFI
- cool big balconies with big hammocks

Sounds great huh? Well unfortunelately not;
- our room was not only musky (like lonely planet said) but Very dirty and everything smelled of dirty feet. The curtains had horrible stains and the cushons smelled really bad.
- there was one working shower (cold) for a lot of people. Lots of fungus around and was not clean.
- the service was really bad. After three days i Asked for a new towel (had to use the Same all the time) but didn't get any. Also, constantly the toilet paper was out. I was given a few paper napkins when i Asked about it. The second night there were not even paper napkins.
- it's terribly over priced. We paid 30 dollars but Spoke to a lot of people in town who had better rooms with private bathroom and paid less.

Kaya's place probably was a great place 20 years ago. I guess They didn't invest any in it (Come on guys, some new curtains and pillows - what are the cost?!). I would not recommend This place.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Kaya's Place

Reviewed February 17, 2013

It would be a very nice place if the manageent cared a bit more about the guests.
For a random reason there were at least 5 people staying at the same time I was that presumed (as myself) that any type of shared kitchen would be available. And when somebody came to talk to the owner about wrong information provided online - the guest was sent away with "sorry, can do nothing about you not booking with us directly". I find the attitude rather rude.
Cons:
- There's no kitchen
- There's no fridge (even shared)
- Hammocks need to be washed
- The linen and towels are never changed unless you keep asking for it
- Internet is fine, but when there are connection issues nobody would worry

Pros:
- secure location REALLY close to the beach and far from the noise
- comfy shared areas
- very lovely authentic carvings and nicely decorated walls, lovely furniture

Conclusion:
- great for 1-3 day stays. you won't have enought time to get disappointed. :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sirotkina
kayasplace27500690, Owner at Kaya's Place, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear Maria,

I am so sorry that you felt that my reply to you in regards to providing you with a shared kitchen was rude. The somebody that came to talk to the owner about the wrong information provided online was indeed you, though my recollection of the conversation is slightly different than yours. When you approached me in the restaurant with your complaint about not having a kitchen I was trying to feed my two year old son. This is not always the easiest thing to pull off smoothly and I see now that you felt my inherent stress as my concentration was pulled away from the task I was performing. This is not your fault, though the timing was unfortunate. I would much rather preferred to speak to you at a time when I could have given you my full attention. I do not recall saying that I can do nothing about you not booking directly with us. I do recall saying that we were newly affiliated with the website you booked through and that you were our first guest to book through this site. I honestly told you that I did not know what this site said about providing a kitchen and that I would look into it, but that nowhere on our own website does it say that we have a shared kitchen.

Again, I sincerely apologize if you feel that my reply was rude or that you were sent away. Your opinion is important to me as is the opinion of all our guests. I would like you to know that thanks to you voicing your opinion we have started to offer the private cabin as a dorm facility with a shared kitchen when the entire cabin is not booked for a large group. Thank you for this, without your input this change would not have been made. You are a great person and I would welcome you back anytime. I hope that the next time you pass through Puerto Viejo you decide to give us another chance.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Having spent a few nights at other places (cheaper) on the same road I move into Kaya's Place for the last couple of nights of my trip.

The good: it's on the beach, the wifi works.

The bad: The room was dingy, smelly and not clean. The mattress had definitely seen better days (maybe new 15-20 years ago). There was no towel in the bathroom. I paid $45 a night which is more than double what I paid at Lisa's down the road and although the room was larger and had AC and a TV I would not recommend this place at all.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank KeanM

Dear Kean,

Thank you very much for your feedback of your stay with us. I am sorry to read that you were not satisfied with the accommodations that we provided for you. Due to several similar complaints in a short period of time, we have made some drastic changes. New mattresses, pillows, curtains, linens, etc. have been purchased and distributed throughout our rooms. A brand new washer and dryer helps a lot too. At the time of your visit both washer and dryer were broken and we were washing by hand and air drying. We have changed the way we do our daily cleaning in the rooms and have implemented a deep cleaning regiment of the rooms and common areas. Please stop by during your next visit to Puerto Viejo. I would like to offer you a tour of the facility to see the changes we have made. Thanks again for letting us know what was wrong during your stay with us. It is due to receiving reviews like yours that we have been able to provide a better experience for our current and future guests.

Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were ok. i liked the rustic style of the place. but the sheets smelled very bad...like wet socks. Luckily I had my travel sheet to sleep in if not i would not have enjoyed my sleep here. Hammocks upstairs were nice but they need to wash it because there were many questionable stains on them and one of them was even broken but no one fixed it in the 5 days I was here. Food downstairs was very good! Staff were lovely! Wifi worked very well too! Overall a nice place but they need to fix a few things.

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear Christy,

Thank you very much for your feedback of your stay with us. I am sorry to read that you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations that we provided for you. Due to several similar complaints in a short period of time, we have made some drastic changes. New mattresses, pillows, curtains, linens, etc. have been purchased and distributed throughout our rooms. A brand new washer and dryer helps a lot too. At the time of your visit both washer and dryer were broken and we were washing by hand and air drying. We have changed the way we do our daily cleaning in the rooms and have implemented a deep cleaning regiment of the rooms and common areas. Please stop by during your next visit to Puerto Viejo. I would like to offer you a tour of the facility to see the changes we have made. Thanks again for letting us know what was wrong during your stay with us. It is due to receiving reviews like yours that we have been able to provide a better experience for our current and future guests.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Great hotel with the typical relaxed Rastafarian Puerto Viejo style. The hotel is 50 meters from Playa Negro and a five minutes walk to Puerto Viejo "city". You can rent a bike here and bicycle to Manzanillo, about 1,5 hours if your just cruising like the rest. Almost no hills so it is a easy ride. There you can snorkel, swim, sunbath or go hiking in the Manzanillo rainforest. The owner is an American with a great suspense of humour and a lot of good stories. I also brew his own beer and if your lucky you can get a sip. We were traveling with a group of 12 and the owner fixed a bonfire for us at the beach the last night. That was so amazing! The rooms are average but the owner told that he wants it that way to keep the Puerto Viejo style.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Kaya's place is right across the street from Playa Negra and a 5 minute walk to downtown Puerto Viejo. The staff is very friendly and accommodating, they even put a bouquet of flowers in our room when we told them we were on our honeymoon. The bar is great and sometimes they have home brewed and local beer. Breakfast was delicious and for a great value and the mango milkshake is not to be missed! The room was clean and comfortable. The walls are painted with colorful murals and the upper hammock deck is a great place to relax.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Great location, good price. The room was a little tight but thats because of the big bunk beds, and you dont spend so much time in the room anyway, the beach is right across the road! Some great looking food came out of the kitchen, although I only had fries (which were delish). Theres local beer a free pool table which is a nice bonus, cue is functional it can use a new tip.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends