“We loved to stay at Azania”
Review of Azania Bungalows

Azania Bungalows
Copenhagen
“We loved to stay at Azania”
Reviewed February 9, 2011

We spent three days at Azania Bungalowes and we loved it. Beautiful bungalows beautiful garden and a nice swimming pool. We woke up to the sound of the howler monkeys, humming birds flew from bush to bush in the garden and a sloth lived in a tree right outside the door.
The bungalows are spacious very authentic and cool with a fan and a net in front of the windows that lets the air pass through. There’s a hammock and two benches at the terrace where we loved to spend the evenings.
I found the bed comfortable but hated the upper plastic coated mattress – but of course you can take it off!
Breakfast is good and so is dinner and we found the staff friendly and helpful. If I go to Puerto Viejo again (and I certainly would like to) I’ll definitely stay at Azania.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Greek first
Santa Ana, Costa Rica
Reviewed January 13, 2011

We've stayed at at least 6 different hotels in the area and this has been our favorite. Nice cabinas, grounds and food. The service was spot on as well!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 10, 2011

I stayed here for 8 days with my family. We rented two bungalows. The bungalows were nothing special, especially considering this is one of the most expensive places in town.
Although one girl at the front was amazing and helpful, some of the other staff members were rude. I asked for an extra umbrella one day since our bungalow only had one, and each other bungalow had two, and their reply was simply that our bungalow comes with one. This was a surprise to me since we were paying just as much as the other guests.

Also, unfortunately 3 people in our family got sick on the trip (a 24 hr. flu). When I went to the front to ask for tea (which is free during breakfast hrs) they charged me about $2.50 per cup. Not sure why they charge for tea during the evening, especially considering the price your paying.

The day of our departure we were leaving earlier than 7:30am (when breakfast starts). At 6:40 we asked the kitchen staff if we could have some coffee before the 8 hr journey to the other coast and they said they would get us some. The girl at the front desk overheard and simply said No since breakfast didn't start until 7:30! Considering we paid for a breakfast we were not going to be having, I think it wouldn't have been much to ask to bring a few cups of coffee out for us!

The owner lived on the grounds and we saw him daily. Not once did he smile or even say hello. I thought this was a strange way to thank guests for staying at your place.

As a consultant I travel A LOT of work, as well as pleasure. Although I can't say my stay was terrible, I probably would not stay here again. I don't think this hotel is worth the price.

I must admit that the grounds were very well maintenained. And the pool area was small, albeit nice. You are also really close to an excellent surfing beach! However, it is dangerous for swimming (so not for little kids).

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank KalinaM
Carbondale, Colorado
Reviewed November 17, 2010

My husband and I just returned from Puerto Viejo. We stayed at Azania for 8 days and couldn't have asked for better accommodations. I can't say enough about the friendly and helpful staff, meticulously kept grounds, housekeeping is totally on top of it. It was our honeymoon and when we arrived, there were towel "swans" and flower petals on the bed. Also a bottle ofchampagne in the fridge! This place IS for you if you are a laid back vacationer. It's Costa Rica. There are bugs and you won't have TV and AC, but if you're like us, you'll never miss it. This place is NOT for you if you expect "normal" hotel conditions and being catered to 24/7.

The only things I can think of to tell you that aren't rave reviews are this: on site pool and restaraunt scene were prettty dead, BUT we were there in the off season and there's so much to do in the area, we didn't spend much time there anyway. The restaraunt is ok, but again, there's so many other great places to eat in town, we only ate there once.

DONT get pizza at Easy Times!! Yuck!

DONT take tons of clothes with you - first of all, it's hot and humid and second, Azania has laundry service.

DO take taxis after dark (2,000 Colones each way). We were warned of that by hotel staff and sure enough, we ignored the warning and ran in to a tourist couple that had just been knocked off their bikes and robbed.

DO have Mojitos and Arroz con Pollo at Cafe Ivon

DO have pasta at Amimodo

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Emigs
Jackson, New Jersey
Reviewed November 16, 2010

The grounds of Azania are absolutely wonderful. The pool is lovely and the location is close to the beach. However, bungalows seem to be old and in need of updating. There were large cracks in the door allowing many bugs to get in and the room was very dark. I think a lighter color paint might help. The beds were horrible and the pillows were worse. The "suicide shower" gave me the creeps! The bathroom was large and the shower area was nice but like I said the shower creeped me out. The porch was spacious but seating was hard wood benches on the side that were uncomfortable. The hammock was OK but almost hit the ground when you got in. There was pleanty of room for a couple of comfortable chairs but they had none. Like I said the grounds are absolutely beautiful and in the early morning we loved watching the hummingbirds. Staff could have been friendlier but were OK at best. Breakfast that was included was OK. Azania was good for the value but I would hesitate to recommend to a friend due to the bugs and the room that creeped me out.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank April58
Vashon Washington, USA
Reviewed November 4, 2010

Azania Bungalows can be equated with owning a good looking car that doesn't run. Aesthetically, everything's there but when you test drive it, there's a serious failure to launch.

Upon check in, it's clear the hotel is all about itself, not the guest. Immediately you're inundated with "sign this, here are the rules of this, if you don't do this the fee will be this...." when after a five hour ride down the last thing you want to do is be flooded with ultimatums. You just want to relax. Please take my CC, I'll sign anywhere, just get me set up! Clearly, just getting dinner would be a chore and further painful wait.

The grounds are lush and well kept. Dark woods and thatched roofs, exotic plants and trees are neatly laid out like a picture postcard. The room seems a great value ($70 for us, low season) with a double bed, plus another singe, plus another upper loft area w/bed! We could have brought our kids. But try getting in that bed; it's lumpy and squeaky. The pillows were filled with loose cubes of foam. The mosquito net was draped from too high a point to offer any real protection around the sides of the bed and we were feasted upon.

At dinner, the lights blazed overhead in the thatched outdoor restaurant. We begged for a perimeter table which took the "server" seemingly great effort to set in spite of only 3 other occupied tables. The "server" (a very kind term considering the service) offended at nearly every turn, from taking 25 mins to bring an app of chips and guac with no explanation of the delay, to telling us "you look very tired," to standing over every table as the bills were presented, to nearly laying on the table to collect both plates and grunting "ay yi yi" rather than collect them one by one...to not knowing simple server etiquette (e.g., fork and knife at 4 oclock) on when you're done eating. She was Afro-Caribbean cute...and completely clueless. My spouse and I were dually unimpressed with breakfast service (also included in the room rate), where every coffee cup we saw had big chips at the rim and getting leche and azucar took three requests (who doesn't have milk and sugar at the ready with coffee?!). We'd pay extra to have things in order.

Chela at the front desk was the saving grace of the hotel. She was sincerely kind, informative, and oh my goodness employees actually SMILE here (her! only her). She rented us bikes from the place (at $5 with locks per, it's a bargain) where we made quick work of riding into Puerto Viejo and finding ourselves another place to stay for the next three days. With so many more attractive options at Playa Cocles (right next door is La Costa de Papito for example!) and all the real color of the area in Puerto Viejo proper, I'd say the competition for outweighs the pretty rooms. One other caveat, if you come here to avoid the noise of partying Puerto Viejo, get ready for the screeches and howls of true animal nightlife that will jar you awake through the night repeatedly. You are in the jungle and you'll be reminded of it over and over at Azania.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Skrzypeks
Westminster, Colorado
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Azania Bungalows is a really beautiful resort - the bungalows are charming, if a little dark, and the pool and garden areas are really beuatiful and well kept. Lots of birds and butterflies, wonderful flowers and foliage. And the hammocks on the front porches were great - comfy, relaxing and cool.

The bundaglows have no air conditioning, so they tend to feel damp. The heat wasn't too bad because of the ceiling fans, There is a small fridge, so you can pick up sodas, water and snacks in town. The main desk will call a taxi for you - you may wait about 5 minutes for it to arrive, and it costs $4.00 to go to town.

Breakfast was wonderful every morning. The best part of the meal was a generous serving of fresh fruits. Then there were homemade fresh breads and really good coffee, followed by an entree you pick and order the night before. Breakfast is served in a small dining area that is open air, clean, airy, and lovely.

The beach is beautiful, but the water is a little rough - be very cautious swimming, there is a bad undertow. If you are looking for sand and sun, it is really beautiful. There are better swimming beaches nearby.

Puerto Viejo was really entertaining. The food is great at the sodas, and we really enjoyed Chili Rojo, a Mediterranian restaurant - they had the best guacamole I have ever eaten. There are also sodas (small restaurants) easy walking distance from Azania - walk out the driveway and go left. Members of our party really enjoyed the Italian restaurant nearby, and the closest soda did an excellent comida, and has ice cream!

The people at Azania were very friendly and helpful, gave good advice, and prompt service. One thing, though. Keep track of your towels!! You don't check out until sone of the housekeepers has accounted for all your towels! Strangest thing I've seen at a hotel.

This is not the cosmopolitan Costa Rica - it is earthy, simple and relaxed. A great place to meet people, to go slow and take things easy. I think this is was the Caribbean must have been like in the '60s. It helps if you know a little Spanish, but there are often people around who speak English, and everyone was very helpful and cheerful.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family