“Charming, clean rooms, best breakfast we had in Costa Rica, good guidance by Hotel Staff”
Review of Miraflores Lodge

Miraflores Lodge
Berlin
Reviewed March 14, 2009

We stayed 4 nights (more than we wanted to originally). Pamela, the owner, runs the place with Californian charme while - having been in the area for a long time - knowing the locals and the things to do around Viejo / Manzanillo, even in bad weather. The breakfast comes with plenty of home grown, delicious fruit. We loved the place.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KonradBerlin

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Manchester, England
Reviewed February 17, 2008

Attracted to the carribean coast, we travelled to Manzanillo and came across Miraflores and went to find out if there were any rooms available. We booked in for one night and ended up staying for seven. The people at miraflores, (pamela, lucas, mayla, and others whose names I've forgottem or spelt wrongly) gave it an extra special feeling, The warmth of the people here made it difficult to leave.

if you want to spent time in rustic cabin type accomodation, have great homemade breakfasts, listen to the sounds of the jungle as you fall asleep and wake up to sloths hanging about in the trees, then go here. If you want a homogenised hotel experience, stay away and leave the place for folk who love a truly magical and wonderfully warm time.

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank petesloth
Maine
Reviewed January 24, 2008

We just spent 10 days in Costa Rica and while the first half was very rushed, staying in a different town each night, the second half was as laid back as vacations go. We arrived on the Carribbean coat and found that there was nowhere we wanted to stay that was less than $70 a night...until we found the Miraflores. We were shown the rooms and knew immediately that we would be there for the remainder of the trip.
The rooms on the ground level are great for budget travelers in groups of 3-4 but I would recommend the second story accommodations. The rooms are simple, clean and as close to nature as you can be without sleeping outside. The showers face the open jungle (alive with sloths, monkeys and other local wildlife) and the common sitting area has beautiful furniture (and a hammock) and is a great place to meet other travelers.
I can't say enough about the food. Breakfast was delicious (and included with your room) and each afternoon and evening there are amazing freshly prepared meals at very reasonable prices.
The owner and her staff were so kind that it felt like we were staying with family.
The nicest beach we found on the east coast was just a two minute drive down the road.
I highly recommend staying at the Miraflores!

• Liked — The people and the clean cozy rooms.
  • Disliked — The foam mattresses that are common to Costa Rica. But we still slept very well.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank getting_outa_maine
Montreal
Reviewed October 28, 2007

What a magic place, exactly what I wanted to live in Costa Rica, "I had a dream.."and it has been realised there. I discover the place one friday afternoon, walking on the street, I saw Sole and I knew whereas she was showing me the place that I would came back there and stay. Thats what happened! I felt like at home there, simplicity, beauty, calm, nature, excellent food, VERY NICE PEOPLE! those are the main things among others ones, that I really enjoyed there. I felt inspired and I hope to come back in order to give workshops about holistic health. Miraflores is perfect for that!!
Pura Vida!!

• Liked — peacfullness and calm of the sorrounding nature
  • Disliked — dust from the road
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Beaverdam, Va
Reviewed June 14, 2006

I have stayed at Miraflores Lodge each time I have visited the tropical Caribbean coast of Costa Rica over the past eight years. In total, I have been there 30 or 40 days during my stays of anywhere between 2 or 3 days to as many as two weeks. I know the owner, I know the staff and I understand the Talamanca region of Costa Rica.

When you select an area to visit and a facility in which to live you will have certain requirements and you should indeed find a place to meet those requirements. I believe people visit the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica to experience the best example of the unspoiled tropics that can be found. Miraflores Lodge enables you to experience the tropics. While there you are with the many varied birds, the beetles that I have seen up to five inches long, with the foot long bright green lizards, with the howler monkeys that will awaken you at the first light of dawn each morning and with the occasional visit by a boa constrictor about a foot in diameter who is searching for chickens not people. You will also be submerged in the flora of the region, the trees, the plants and the flowers, flowers that have been collected by the owner and preserved there for all to see. At Miraflores Lodge you do not just go and look at the tropics, you live in the tropics and you experience the tropics first hand.

I can understand the posts made here complaining of the conditions at Miraflores Lodge. I believe those observations connote people who have seen the “people comfort” deficiencies and have overlooked the tropical forest experience that is offered. If you desire lodging with creature comfort rooms and a facility that isolates you from the tropics with landscaped lawns and walkways that keep the tropics “over there somewhere” then you should select such a facility. They can indeed be found in Puerto Viejo. If, on the other hand, you really want to experience the tropics by being a part of it you will be hard pressed to find a true nature lodge that surpasses Miraflores Lodge.

Stayed May 2006
8 Thank CharlesBeaverdam_VA
Phila, PA
Reviewed January 15, 2005

This lodge billed itself as a hotel for nature lovers; well, that's because you may as well be sleeping outside. For $80.00 a night we recieved two adjoining "rooms" that were merely 2X4 studded areas covered with screens(to keep bugs out). Very little privacy was afforded by the curtains haphazardly hanging around. Cement slab floor. The toilets smelled like portapottys. The supposedly hot showers were broken and when we inquired, the owner said she'd look into it and never did. There are other hotels in the area renting for $15.00 a night that offer more amenities. Our beds were made twice in 7 days and the stinky bathroom cleaned only once. The last straw was when we casually told the owner how much we loved the town and were considering buying a little land to build a vacation house, she called us carpetbaggers. I love and respect diversity in nature, culture and ethnicity. I was deeply offended. I would NOT recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed January 2005

#62 of 104 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Casa Merlin Lodge
Casa Merlin Lodge
#28 of 52 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca

Been to Miraflores Lodge? Share your experiences!