“Bungalows in the jungle” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Casitas Mar Y Luz

Hotel Casitas Mar Y Luz
“Bungalows in the jungle”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

The bungalows are simple and clean. The bungalows has a fridge and some simple cooking equipment. We got to eat fresh grapefruits from a tree in the garden. The only bad thing was that we got som mosquito bites but there where mosquito nets available. The staff was very helpful!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Berlin, Deutschland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Casitas is a great experience and the best way to experience the costa rican caribean. The caribean style bungalows are cozy and well furnitured (the kitchen was a bit small), the beds are clean and confortable. The location is in the middle of a forest with amazing high trees. The beach Playa Chiquita is beautiful and is a 10 min walk fro the hotel (we walked from there to Punta Uva too). Stepahnie and Marlon were friendly and helpful to make us feel at home. Is better to drive a SUV 4X4 when visiting this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Livorno, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

We stayed there only two nights but wished would have stayed more: the six blue cabins are pretty new, clean and in a quiet place.plus they have a small kitchen so we could prepare our own breakfast. The owner Stephanie is very nice, she booked for us a tour in Gandoca Manzanillo wildlife refuge and carried us to Manzanillo with her car.
there are some good restaurants close to the cabins and also the beach is within a short walk: playa chiquita is a gorgeous beach and with very few people.
Go there if you are looking for beach and relax in the nature!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

We stayed at Casitas Mar y Luz for 4 nights in Oct 2013. It can be difficult to chose a place to stay when there is so much choice around in Puerto Viejo, but all I can say now is that we are so glad we picked this place and wouldn't have wished to stay anywhere else !! Casitas are located in playa chiquita which is about 8 kms away from puerto viejo village. We visited all the beaches in the area and playa chiquita is in my opinion by far the most beautiful beach around !! We took a taxi to get there (4000 colones) as we arrived quite late but in general pick up can be arranged . It lies in a superb location in the jungle and only a 5 mins walk from the beach ! You can easily rent bicycles to travel to town and around the other beaches. Upon arrival we were greeted by Stephanie and Marlon both extremely friendly who took care of our every wish during your stay. The cabins are spacious, clean and equipped with kitchenette and coffee machine. The garden is well kept, lush and ideal for those who wish to experience being close to nature. There is a little restaurant where you can have breakfast right at the entrance of the side road. The people really make this place and the highlight of our stay was the friendliness of both Stephanie and especially Marlon the resident manager and their adorable 2 dogs Terry and Chispa ! I highly recommend casitas Mar y Luz and would without hesitation stay there again . Enjoy !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Traunstein, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed at the Casitas Mar y Luz for 2 nights in September 2013, accompanied by 5 other friends of mine. We went to Puerto Viejo - Cocles, to be exact - to spend a weekend at the Atlantic shore of Costa Rica, and just to relax a bit and see something of the beautiful nature and wildlife.
Leaving after those 2 nights, all of us agreed: Staying at the Casitas Mar y Luz was the best decision to be made! Its location is just perfect for a relaxed weekend - surrounded by nothing but nature, close to the prettiest beach of this area - clean and Caribbean, not like the quite filthy Puerto Viejo beach - and pleasantly quiet. The only sound that interrupted the silence and drowned the birdsong was the cries of the howling monkeys replacing the alarm clock in the morning.
What an experience! :)
Beyond that, the service is great! Not only that the little huts are very clean and cosy, the owner, Stéphanie, organizes anything her guests feel like doing, and is always incredibly nice :)
Referring to the possible things to do in this region: Just next to the Casitas, there's the offer of horseback riding with the most laid-back guy of Puerto Viejo/Cocles, or you can also eat a delicious, typically Costa Rican breakfast! The centre of Puerto Viejo is not too far away, as well, so all options are open!
All in all: Thank you for a great stay in this place, Stéphanie, and... thumbs up! :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

As I arrived to the property I was greeted by a super nice young man by the name of Marlon, who didn’t think twice about helping me with my bags and quickly showed me to my cabin. When I entered the cabin the smile on my face was inevitable, the places was just right; cozy and private. I travel solo so a safe place was a must for me, I wanted something not too far away from town but far enough so that I could have those alone moments that I so love. The cabins have hammocks outside, they make the best place to relax after a day full of activities. The property manager Stephanie is got to be one of the nicest people I’ve met, she is very helpful and is knowledgeable of the area; anything you want to do and don’t know where to start , you just got to ask her she’ll point you in the right direction. On my first day I ventured out to go to the beach alone, the beach is only a few hundred feet away. So there I was walking through a small patch of jungle, I couldn’t help to notice the sweet smell of fruit around me. And I will never forget that moment when I saw the beach for the first time in this area; it’s like nothing I’ve experienced before. I had very pleasant moments during my stay here, and I feel like my trip would have been very different if I would have stayed at another place. I love the location, the people. But that is just me. I will definitely be going back, and stay here; they make you feel like family and I love that. I invite you to stay here and create your own unique experience, you will not regret it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Miri_0785
San Pedro Cholula, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

The room was very good, excellent screens to keep the bugs out! Nice little patio with table for outside dining. The mattress was not high quality, and the slats on the bunk beds need realigning to support the mattresses. Overall, a decent facility and location. There are no amenities there, and the location is set well back off the road. Their is a resident manager who is very helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends