“The perfect place to stay in Puerto Viejo/Playa chiquita !”

Hotel Casitas Mar Y Luz
London, United Kingdom
“The perfect place to stay in Puerto Viejo/Playa chiquita !”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We stayed at Casitas Mar y Luz for 4 nights in Oct 2013. It can be difficult to chose a place to stay when there is so much choice around in Puerto Viejo, but all I can say now is that we are so glad we picked this place and wouldn't have wished to stay anywhere else !! Casitas are located in playa chiquita which is about 8 kms away from puerto viejo village. We visited all the beaches in the area and playa chiquita is in my opinion by far the most beautiful beach around !! We took a taxi to get there (4000 colones) as we arrived quite late but in general pick up can be arranged . It lies in a superb location in the jungle and only a 5 mins walk from the beach ! You can easily rent bicycles to travel to town and around the other beaches. Upon arrival we were greeted by Stephanie and Marlon both extremely friendly who took care of our every wish during your stay. The cabins are spacious, clean and equipped with kitchenette and coffee machine. The garden is well kept, lush and ideal for those who wish to experience being close to nature. There is a little restaurant where you can have breakfast right at the entrance of the side road. The people really make this place and the highlight of our stay was the friendliness of both Stephanie and especially Marlon the resident manager and their adorable 2 dogs Terry and Chispa ! I highly recommend casitas Mar y Luz and would without hesitation stay there again . Enjoy !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Traunstein, Germany
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed at the Casitas Mar y Luz for 2 nights in September 2013, accompanied by 5 other friends of mine. We went to Puerto Viejo - Cocles, to be exact - to spend a weekend at the Atlantic shore of Costa Rica, and just to relax a bit and see something of the beautiful nature and wildlife.
Leaving after those 2 nights, all of us agreed: Staying at the Casitas Mar y Luz was the best decision to be made! Its location is just perfect for a relaxed weekend - surrounded by nothing but nature, close to the prettiest beach of this area - clean and Caribbean, not like the quite filthy Puerto Viejo beach - and pleasantly quiet. The only sound that interrupted the silence and drowned the birdsong was the cries of the howling monkeys replacing the alarm clock in the morning.
What an experience! :)
Beyond that, the service is great! Not only that the little huts are very clean and cosy, the owner, Stéphanie, organizes anything her guests feel like doing, and is always incredibly nice :)
Referring to the possible things to do in this region: Just next to the Casitas, there's the offer of horseback riding with the most laid-back guy of Puerto Viejo/Cocles, or you can also eat a delicious, typically Costa Rican breakfast! The centre of Puerto Viejo is not too far away, as well, so all options are open!
All in all: Thank you for a great stay in this place, Stéphanie, and... thumbs up! :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed September 23, 2013

As I arrived to the property I was greeted by a super nice young man by the name of Marlon, who didn’t think twice about helping me with my bags and quickly showed me to my cabin. When I entered the cabin the smile on my face was inevitable, the places was just right; cozy and private. I travel solo so a safe place was a must for me, I wanted something not too far away from town but far enough so that I could have those alone moments that I so love. The cabins have hammocks outside, they make the best place to relax after a day full of activities. The property manager Stephanie is got to be one of the nicest people I’ve met, she is very helpful and is knowledgeable of the area; anything you want to do and don’t know where to start , you just got to ask her she’ll point you in the right direction. On my first day I ventured out to go to the beach alone, the beach is only a few hundred feet away. So there I was walking through a small patch of jungle, I couldn’t help to notice the sweet smell of fruit around me. And I will never forget that moment when I saw the beach for the first time in this area; it’s like nothing I’ve experienced before. I had very pleasant moments during my stay here, and I feel like my trip would have been very different if I would have stayed at another place. I love the location, the people. But that is just me. I will definitely be going back, and stay here; they make you feel like family and I love that. I invite you to stay here and create your own unique experience, you will not regret it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Miri_0785
Patzcuaro, Mexico
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The room was very good, excellent screens to keep the bugs out! Nice little patio with table for outside dining. The mattress was not high quality, and the slats on the bunk beds need realigning to support the mattresses. Overall, a decent facility and location. There are no amenities there, and the location is set well back off the road. Their is a resident manager who is very helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank George C
Manchester, Maine
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My daughter and stayed at Casitas Mar Y Luz for 3 nights in June. The cute cabina was recently built, clean, and comfortable. The small kitchenette made it possible for us to save some money by not eating out every meal.
Stephanie, the manager, was extremely helpful recommending places to eat, giving us directions to a nearby snorkeling spot, and making reservations.
The cabinas are a short walk down a wooded path to a beautiful, quiet beach. We only saw a handful of other people passing through the beach area. For a more active beach you have only to go a short distance into town.
We felt very safe in the cabina, and enjoyed listening to the howler monkeys at night. For a small fee they will do laundry for you. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The casitas at Mar y Luz are simple but super cute and clean. I stayed for four days on my own (as a single female) and felt safe and well cared for. The staff is helpful and available when you need them. Stephanie, the manager, is fantastic. She's able to provide you with whatever you need at the hotel and around the area. She makes your stay exceptional.

The casitas are located a way from Puerto Viejo (the main town) but near some of the best beaches. I rode my bike into town during the day and took a taxi after dark. Taxis can get a little expensive ($8-$10 to town) so you have to add that to the cost of the room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo