“Raw, untamed beach...”
Review of Puerto Viejo Beach

Puerto Viejo Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: This public beach is popular with surfers.
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I guess it had to do with the time of year we went, but, so much room, and the warmest water at 86' F...Wow..

Write a ReviewReviews (1,077)

Reviewed February 4, 2013

From Playa Negra, to Punta Uva....staggeringly beautiful coastline with great surf, clear-blue-warm-water, and lots of options for activities.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

This booth is in the main road thru town next to a T shirt shop. The booth has nothing but display case with Jamaican Patties inside. They have meat, veggie and plantains ones. I would ride my bike to here in the morning to get them. They where still warm and o so good. The vendors are so nice. AT a $1.20 a piece they where a true bargain. I so wish they could ship to me!

1  Thank Robert Z
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I really liked this beach and frankly if I were to go back to a surf town in Costa Rica I would choose Puerto Viejo over Tamarindo in a heartbeat. The atmosphere here is more laid back and the beautiful beach isn't covered up by condos and high price hotels but is rather easily seen and accessed by all. I don't know why more people don't go down to the Caribbean side instead of the way too commercial Pacific beaches. This area has wonderful restaurants, hopping bars, less expensive accommodation and really warm and friendly people. I can't wait to go back.

2  Thank Carol M
Reviewed January 25, 2013

When I think of my trip to Costa Rica, Puerto Viejo Beach is what I envision in my mind. This stretch of beach is fairly secluded (visited in late March/early April) and simply gorgeous. It's a decently long stretch with spectacular views. It was a bit busier on the weekend with locals, but we still had privacy. By far one of my favorite beaches I've ever been to.

2  Thank Seattlepearl