“One night at Agapi”
Review of Agapi

and 1 more site!
Agapi
Reviewed October 2, 2010

We spent one night at Agapi. The location, pool, and a/c were wonderful. The service, the value, and the beds were so-so.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sabbles
There are newer reviews for Agapi

Reviewed July 11, 2010

Well let me just start by saying that we were originally scheduled to stay at another hotel but after reading a review on this web site about cockroaches at the hotel we decided to go to Agapi; whrere I had stayed about 2 years ago. after all they had a pool and a Jacuzzi for the same price. Unfortunately the pool was dirty. It appeared like they did not want to run the filter to keep it clean. The excuse I got was that they just got the pool a few months ago and the rain had caused the color of the pool to change colors, but that it was perfectly safe for my chidren to use. Well after complaining they did finally turn on the filter. The next issue we had with the hotel AGAPI was that we were never told about the accomadations and what the rate per night included. The 1st morning I went to ask the administrator/owner about breakfast. He told me that it was a la carte. I just needed to choose what we wanted to eat from the menu. I then proceeded to the breakfast area to order breakfast. The waitress asked if it was included in my room rate. I told her that I was not sure but I thought that it was. She then gave me a menu "titled all included menu". The waitress asked if I was given a special slip. I told her no. She then said "that's funny they always give a slip" let me go check. At that time the the administrator/owner's wife arrived on the scene and told me that they never have breakfast included in the rate. This writer then asked her then why do they have an menu titled all included. She then said that the menu was only for student staying at the hotel for a long time. I know that it's porbably too late to make the story short, but the woman ended up saying that I should know that breakfast is not included becasue I have stayed there before. At that time the administrator/owner arrived and was explaining that there was a miisunderstanding that the breakfast was not included. I told him that I now understood that but that nothing was explained to me when we checked in the day before. I told him that I believed that the lack of custmomer service led to the misunderstanding. I then pointed out that the 1st time i stayed at there hotel their were issues with the Jacuzzi in our apartment as well. At that point the wife said something quite truthfull but not in the best way to talk to a paying customer. She said that if I did not like the hotel I never should have come back. We were very upset by the comment. The husband was also quite upset by his wife's comment. He later agreed to to give us our money back that we had paid for a 2nd night becasue we did not feel welcomed.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank localguest07
Reviewed May 23, 2010

The location is good and the grounds are nice enough amd rooms have air cond and TV, However, the female costa rican owner was not all that friendly and, when we had no hot water the first evening, she refused to give us any discount. Also, despite the hotel brochure stating ALL rooms have a minibar, ours did not and the owner defensively asked me to prove where on her brochure it said that! I think you can definitely find better accommodations and better value. Both internet and breakfast are extra cost too but not so at many other places.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2010

i search for carribean feeling... I founded Tasos -the greek owner-who knows how to make you feeling perfect (besides, Tasos is specialist in fishing )... what about after an adventurus day ?... calming in the pool (or in the jacuzi ) hearing the sound of the Carribean sea

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I just returned from puerto viejo after a week long adventure in the rainforest. This was not my first trip to central america but was definitely my most memorable! Along with my girlfriend, we stayed at Agapi apartments - this was one of the highlights of our trip!

First off id like to say that some of these reviews were dead wrong. I expected mediocre service but was shocked with what we discovered. Possibly the best experience i ever had in a small "boutique" style hotel, best of all meters from the jungle. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Beautiful swimming pool and beach within view of the lobby bar. The staff was polite, very helpful and willing to serve. Enough so that i decided to write this review!

Definitely recommend this one to anyone thinking of traveling to puerto viejo, limon. An experience you wont forget!!

George T

1  Thank george_t1821
Reviewed February 27, 2010

This place was big a disappointment. The mattress was old and you could feel the springs through the padding, the sheets were as thin as paper, the towels would be used as rags back home, and there was only one towel each, no handtowels or facecloths. There was no breakfast included, the floor in our room was not mopped until the 3rd day. The door lock did not lock properly, the pillows were so old they were just like bags of broken up foam. When people walk in the room above it sounds like pounding as there is no soundproofing. The showers drain very slowly and as there is no seperation from the washroom so water soon spills all around the toilet bowl and entrance way. Last but not least, you can't drink their tap water as it makes you sick... ask my wife !
We were not the only ones dissatisfied with our room, another couple on the ground floor were not happy either but I did not get into specifics with them.
The grounds are nice, and the pool is ok if you don't mind small ones...
There are much better places in and around Puerto Viejo for less money.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank annepaul33
Reviewed February 27, 2010

This place is disgusting. Starting with the black mold infested mattress I discovered we were sleeping on to the green algae covered pool. From here I feel compelled to mention the complete disregard for cleanliness, property upkeep, sanitation, not to mention the unhappy, rude staff and owners. I should also mention the leaking bathroom ceiling and the stench from the shower's bathroom drain and showerhead. I have travelled to many third world and developing countries so I have a fairly high tolerance for less than perfection. This however, was absolutely insane. Of the six days reserved, it was only after I was awakened by tiny little bugs crawling on my legs and arm and over the sheets that I ripped off the sheets of the bed and turned the mattress to discover a mattress quite damp and covered in black mold. I manage to stay for three days tolerating the rude staff, the dusty rooms, the algae infested pool. On our second morning we were told by Earl we had not negotiated breakfast in the price that we agreed to pay for our six nights. Although we did negotiate breakfast into the price with the receptionist whose name I cannot recall she said she did not remember doing so. Although we did not have our little tickets for breakfast we did eat our breakfast on the final third morning before attempting to check out at 10AM. I really wanted to stay in a place with an ocean view and since we were limited to our time at the only other hotel in town that is ocean front we moved to Agapi. As I said I have a very high tolerance for rudeness and less than perfection but honestly, the bugs and the mold and the respiratory infection were truly the last straw! Before deciding to quietly and politey ask for our money to be refunded for the remaining three days my husband walked down to the laundry and picked up my unattended, unwashed suitcase of laundry that I had patiently been waiting on since the day we arrived. After packing our bags and explaining to Earl (Cecilia's father who was caring for the property while Cecilia and Tasso were on vacation) why we would be checking out early we went down to reception and waited patiently with our bags to speak with the owners who supposedly were not there and would be arriving shortly from town. Unbeknownst to us at the time Cecilia whom we had not met was sitting at the reception desk the whole time listening to our conversation with the receptionist and acting as though she didn't know anything. We were completely ignored by Cecilia and her husband for more than an hour. Since we had nowhere to go, nor to be, we sat at the front door with our bags waiting patiently for the owners. The receptionist asked us if we were needing a cab knowing full well that we were waiting to speak to Cecilia who, (don't forget) was sitting at the front desk fully aware that we were waiting to speak with her and her charming husband as well as the reason why. By this time Earl who had assured us that the owners would be returning at any moment had disappeared and never showed his face again. Needless to say you must know by now this is going to get ugly! As Cecilia gets up to leave my husband goes in search for Earl who is hiding around the corner speaking with Tasso. Earl scurries away as my husband discovers from another staff person that Tasso and Cecilia who have been there all morning long are indeed the owners. My husband walks over to the desk and tells Cecilia calmly " I would like to check out early and be refunded for our remaining three days."The assistant replies, instead of Cecilia "just a minute". She leaves and comes back with Tasso. My husband repeated to Tasso that we were checking out, and would like the reimbursement of the three days. Without any introduction, Tasso says angrily " If you leave now there is no deal, and the three days that you have stayed, the price is now $89 per night plus $30 per day for the breakfast plus tax. You leave and there is no more deal". My husband replies " My wife is sick with Bronchitis from the moldy conditions, especially the mattress, she is especially allergic, and I would like to check out and get my $150.00 back, and just move on". Tasso is loud, angry, and shouting repeating he will not refund the money. After my husband tried to get Tasso to come have a look up in the room at the mattress, which he refused to do, my husband bolts out of the office, upstairs to the room, grabs the mattress and runs down the stairs with it as if it had bed bugs and even Black Mold! Then he burst into the office, slams the mattress down on the floor, points down at it and says " This is disgusting and dangerous! Mira, mira es Muy peligroso! I want my $150.00 refunded right now so I can leave this dump, and I do mean right now"! Tasso, Cecilia, and the assistant, stood silently, mouths opened, and frankly stunned that my husband who had been a kind gentleman up until the unbelievable rudeness began, had no response. Of course there was much more than this exchange, but I would have to write a book on this unpleasant experience. Tasso finally realizes we are not leaving without our money and takes a very large wad of cash out of his pocket, pulls out the $150.00, tosses it at my husband and says " Take your bleeping money and get the bleep out of here"! My husband picks up the money says simply " Thank You" and we leave, moving on to Blue Conga just down the road. As I write this I am still in Costa Rica With 10 more days of vacation, ill with a respiratory infection, taking antibiotics and cough syrup, and wondering what the doctors will say when I return to our home in California. The country and the people are beautiful this is not your standard treatment. Please feel free to read our review on Blue Conga, Banana Azul, and Casa Las Brisas, all are excellent places to relax and rest your heads in peace and serenity. Or as the Ticos say Pura Vida.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple