Agapi
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Escape Caribeno(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
View Hotel
Hotel Blue Conga(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
View Hotel
Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
  • Breakfast included
Umami Hotel(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
View Hotel
Hotel Boutique Indalo(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
View Hotel
Hotel La Costa de Papito(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
View Hotel
Coco Loco Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
View Hotel
Hotel Maritza(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
Hotel Yare(Cocles)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Hotel Agapi is one of the worst, if not the worst hotel, in the Puerto Viejo Area. The owners, Tasso and Cecilia gouge their guests and are only interested in one thing: take your money and see you leave. Yes, once in a while, they'll treat guests nicely, but it never lasts.
The rooms are dirty, beds are not comfortable, but I guess if you're into backpacking, it'll pass. A lot of people compare Agapi to Rocking J, just down the road. Rocking J is a true backpacker place, where you can rent space in a tent, so a stay at Agapi, by any measure is a quantum leap in better conditions. For just about the same price, I would highly recommend the Blue Conga Hotel, next door to Rocking J. Even the staff will backtalk on the owners. Avoid it like the plague.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CDIT
Reviewed March 11, 2011

Great place to stay!
Watch out for the breakfast. We got sick :(

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 8, 2011

I'm just finishing up a stay of 10 days. I stayed here with a friend, we had a great stay, with really no complaints. A few small things were - the wifi can be a little spotty at times, but very good from outside; there can be some noise between rooms, depending on where you are; and my room-mate had a bit of a problem with ants in her room. I realize ants are everywhere here, but her room for some reason seemed to attract them.

The breakfast they serve is very nice – toast, gallo pinto (rice & beans), scrambled eggs, fruit, coffee, fruit juice.

The staff were nice – the girl at the desk not SO much - but we loved Earl. We didn't meet the actual owners as they were out of town when we were there.

They were attentive – they came to clean our room every day/every other day; changed sheets & towels & garbage every/every other day.

The pool & grounds well taken care of; there is a beautiful garden, beautiful pool.

The pool area is rarely crowded, often just one or two people in the pool.

There is a nice plot of undeveloped land next door; makes it fairly quiet & can see things like monkeys, sloths, toucans (I saw two toucans one day, very exciting for me).

It's right on the ocean basically, and the nice "sitting" part of playa cocles is about a 5 min walk.

You can walk to town in about 10-15 minutes.

Overall we loved it and we wish we could stay longer.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank bowballie
Reviewed January 9, 2011

We were backpacking and stumbled across Agapi. The location is beautiful, including a 'private' beach (coral reef), jacuzzi (cold), pool, tiled room, enveloped with spanish architecture. The place really is stunning so we spoke with the receptionist about prices. Unfortunately we couldn't afford the rate but the receptionist went and spoke with Cecelia (the wife/owner everyone is talking about) and she gave us a discounted rate! They must have added the 'breakfast included' into the price after that negative review, because that's what she took off so we could afford to stay there....which was very flexible and generous since it was her last room during high season.

Cecilia was a bit flustered when we showed up (around the time she would normally retire to her house) but she insisted on getting us new batteries for our TV remote and getting the new AC machines to work properly, despite our objections that she could take the evening off and we'd deal with it in the morning. Her dog Kaiser was also barking (unusual) and this aggravated her to no end.

To comment on Cecilia's personality: she does not mean to sound harsh. In my experience, she is just a straight shooter and will not tolerate BS and likes to be efficient with her time and communication. She's got a strong personality type and its an interesting quirk that I found rather amusing. Other cultures might not 'get' her, but other people's quirks go hand in hand with travel. This is a 'boutique' hotel, if you can call it that - not a cookie cutter Marriott and we were very happy about that!

Our room, specifically, was typical of mom and pop cabinas that we found in Costa Rica and Panama. We didn't have an apartment so there was no kitchen but we did have a fridge (with drinks, aka wet bar). Water was hot but pressure was low (typical of caribe Costa Rica). Sheets a bit scratchy, but we had brought a set so it was no problem. Safe included and you can even program your own combination. There was a TV with mostly spanish stations but they did have 2 english stations. There is room to park your car and rental bike and the bike rental place is just down the street for $3/day! The reception area has the computer for internet rental (free wifi in rooms), and they have lovely local artisan crafts for purchase.

I loved it and would love to go back next time I'm in Puerto Viejo.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 8WillyNilly8
Reviewed December 4, 2010

The thing that impressed me and my wife the most on our resent stay at Agapi Apartments, was the view of sea right in front of our balcony. Its endless energy inspired me to write this comment. It was also the sounds of white-cap waves and the refreshing smells of ozone and coral reefs together, that enticed us to stay two extra days beyond the thanksgiving weekend.The third morning of our stay, the Greek owner Tassos had returned from a fishing trip and invited us to share with the delicious fish soup he prepared, We were impressed with their generosity, of Tassos and his lovely Caribean wife Cecelia. It may proove util to mention that both, me and Iris my wife, accept the wonderfull culture of Caribe as it is and not try to change it in something that is not. Sincerely Nichoal G. C.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple