Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort
$195
$134
Hotel La Costa de Papito(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$88
Hotel Escape Caribeno(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$71
$68
Hotel Banana Azul(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$79
Umami Hotel(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$115
$99
Hotel Shawandha Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$110
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Boutique Indalo(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)
$65
$55
Hotel Blue Conga(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
$75
Hotel Maritza(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
$63
Coco Loco Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Talamanca)(Great Value!)
$61
TripAdvisor
1,096 results
All reviewsswim up barcosta ricasurf shopstandard roomgreat poolwater pressureair conditioningin townresident slothsurf lessonshowler monkeyssmall poolhotel groundscocles beachdown the roadreception areacab ride
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed in this hotel at the beginning of October. This hotel is probably one of the nicest ones in the Puerto Viejo area. It is off of the main road enough to give you a "jungle" feel but a short walk to Playa Cocles just across the street from the entrance. We even saw howler monkeys playing in the trees late afternoon while we were hanging out in the pool area! The hotel is not super close to Puerto Viejo so you will need to either bike or take a car to get to town. The restaurant at the hotel seemed really quiet most nights so we went out to other restaurants nearby (again, the rental car was very helpful). One thing that I noticed is that, compared to our hotel near the Arenal Volcano, the front desk staff didn't really have a lot of tour information so I ended up just kind of figuring out myself what to do in the area (recommend the Jaguar Rescue Center!). We also had a bit of an issue when we arrived, I had used booking.com to reserve our room but when we got to the hotel after the very painful drive from San Jose, they had no record of our reservation. I'm not sure if the issue was with booking.com or what but we were actually upgraded to a nicer room as a result so that worked out well for us! Overall, nice place to stay, great location and friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel was ok for the price. The location by the beach was great but was a long way to walk to the town centre, but taxis were cheap. The communal areas were pretty and breakfast was good. The room was adequate but basic. It had a damp smell too it and it lacked privacy as the doors opened onto the pathway. The receptionists were lovely and very helpful but the bar man was rude and barely acknowledged your existence.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Hotel is real nice. Location is beatifull. People very friendly. Food is delicious. I read bad reviews about this place and non of what was mentioned I encountered. There was no mold or bugs anywhere. Grounds were kept very clean. These people work day and nights really.
Everythig was very clean. Yes, shower was slow, but how it can possibly bother anyone, then spend few minutes longer there!
Ocean is 50 meters away. I had long walks on a beach every morning. The whole town is real ethnic. If you drive beware of people on a streets, drive carefully.

Room Tip: We stayed in suit 5 that faces the ocean.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank yanochka2
cormacbr2, Sales Manager at Cariblue Beach & Jungle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Hello Yanochka2,

Thanks a lot for choosing Totem Hotel for your holiday in the South Caribbean of Costa Rica, even after you had read bads reviews about us, but as you could see with your own eyes things are not always what the people say or write. Cleanliness and good service are very important for us, so we work hard everyday on it.

We really appreciate your visit and comment!!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

The property is family owned and includes an Italian restaurant with very good food. The service at both was excellent. the included breakfast was yummy.
The gardens are very jungle like and beautiful. I was a solo female traveler and felt very safe; the night security guard introduced himself to me. Location was very nice all I had to do was come out of the room and walk 50 yards to the restaurant. My room was close to the parking lot and across from the pool and had no problem with any noise; actually it was very quiet. The surfers beach is right across the street where there is alot going on. For the three days I was there it was always the same waitress and gentlemen at the reception area so the hotel and restaurant felt comfortable very quickly. I came to Puerto Viejo to work so I can't really comment on the romanticness of the location. Pool has a cool waterfall; free wireless with no problems thruout the facility; covered area with ping pong table, couches to relax in. Secure parking lot. A/C worked but the fan was sufficient. Overall very nice property, this is comparing to 2 other properties I have stayed at in PV. The only negatives were the water pressure ( typical in Costa Rica overall) and the rough sheets and thin scratchy towels. Clothes dryers are not commonly used in CR so this was not a suprise as well. I should have taken advantage and used the laundry service because I washed my lingerie and pajamas and they never really dried due to the humidity. I would stay here again and get a suite. They looked nice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

The feedbacks always are good to improve our daily labor, thanks for choosing Totem Hotel during your stay in Puerto Viejo.

We appreciate that you had shared your experience with other people.

Hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Great hotel, really good Italian food, right at the main beach, staff nice and helpful, surf-rastaman cool guy. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. The cats and dogs are cool too. Nice Italian family run hotel they can be found at the restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Hello John and thanks for your comments.

Your opinion is very important for us, it is good to know that you had a good experience in the Caribbean and specifically at our Hotel and Restaurant.

Best Regards.