“Comfy in the jungle by the sea”

Hotel Shawandha Lodge
Reviewed May 12, 2014

My son and I had a fantastic time at Shawanda. It had charm, personality, comfort and a sloth! My son loved the wildlife and pool; I loved the breakfasts and the sweet cabins. Everyone was very helpful and nice. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: March 2014
There are newer reviews for Hotel Shawandha Lodge

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Amazing lodge with private access to the beach. The room was gorgeous tucked away in a forest, large with a huge bathroom...staff was amazingly helpful and courteous. The hotel restaurant serves great food - both me and wife are vegetarians and we finally found some options here for us. Our server was extremely helpful and went out of his way to make us feel comfortable. Would definitely love to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2014

This was the third stop on our honeymoon. The location is stunning though the jungle sounds take some getting used to! The Caribbean and isolated beach is only a short (if scary!) walk away and we even saw sloths in the hotel gardens! The room was lovely and the restaurant excellent and the staff courteous and helpful. Definitely would recommend the trip to Manzanillo-Gandoca too.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2014

At first glance it looks amazing, the bungalow design is cool, the atmosphere is cool, the pool, the hammocks, the friendly stuff and good service effort.
But I was disappointed, I cannot imagine how it can be that there are more bugs inside the bungalow then outside when I lie in the hammock. I was going insane with nowhere to hide.

The bungalow is not lit enough, the bathroom and closet have enough lighting but in the "bedroom" there are 3 table lamps and that is it, during the day you open the drapes and can see but at night I was constantly bumping into stuff.
The windows only have nets, no glass at all - so at night I was cold.
And to top everything the awful shower, you turn the knob 180 degrees to get cold water, and then slowly turn it back to get some hot water (if you're lucky)

I can see the efforts to give customers a good and enjoyable stay, but i couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank Sshahar1
bigbugbog, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shawandha Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

We feel really bad that you had that experience. As you said all windows have screens so maybe you left the door a little bit too long open. You should have let the reception knows and we would have helped you of course.

Regarding the issue of being cold at night, again we can have given you extra blanket. We love our climate, hot during the day and a little cool at night. That is exactly why we do not need air conditioning.

For the shower, unfortunately you had to experience the fact to have hot water in the jungle. Sometimes things are not as easy as in a developed country but isn't that what you are also looking for when you travel?

Reviewed April 8, 2014

What I enjoyed the most about the lodge is that the bungalows are tucked away in a lush rain forest, which really seems to come to life at night. The howler monkeys were especially loud and seemed to hang around the property.

Our bungalow was a good size with a large bed, but overall a bit dated. They're not as nice as they appear on the website and I feel its pricey for what you get in comparison to other hotels in the same price range. Still, we enjoyed hanging out on the porch hammock and just relaxing.

The breakfast is worth mentioning, although it doesn't vary at all. The portions are not large but its a nice selection of fresh fruit, eggs and fresh bread.

Their cancellation policy is a bit tricky, so once you're booked you may not be able to get a refund even if you cancel well in advance.

Overall I liked this lodge, but do feel its over priced and would probably consider staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2014

My family of 4 stayed at Shawanda for 4 amazing nights. I loved everything about the lodge. Check in was a breeze. Our bungalow (which was beautiful) had a king as well as two single beds provided for our 8 and 11 year olds. The bathroom was huge and had lovely tile work throughout. Our porch was great with a hammock and seating area that I lay in every morning as the sun rose. There is a wonderful restaurant on sight that provides a beautiful array of fruit and eggs any style you like for breakfast, and the dinner is delish. (note: no lunch on site but a few cafes just a short walk or bike away if you need to get a bite mid day). There is a beautiful common area where you can sit with wifi, and the pool area that is super relaxing and refreshing. But what one of the loveliest thing about the place was, was the amazing service. I have been to many hotels worldwide, and I can honesty say that the service here is outstanding! Everybody that works at the lodge including the owner are so wonderful. It truly felt like a luxury lodge. I am missing it already!
a few notes to consider- These are bungalows without AC (but have ceiling fan) or windows that shut (only screen with slat and curtains), there is no in room fridge or coffee maker. This is Playa Chiquita and Puerto Viejo, If you are looking for something like a Hilton in the states, you will not find it on the Carribean coast. but what you will find in my opinion is truly spectacular.
This is a beautifully structured bungalow but don't forget, you are in the jungle, with the ocean a short walk away. Your clothes may stay moist especially after beach or pool or just a day out and may not dry, so pack accordingly. There is an array of wildlife all around you, and its AMAZING. If you are not one for howler monkeys and birds chirping, frogs clicking or insects flying keep in mind, or just bring earplugs. To me this was the most amazing sound and I slept like a rock and all I want is to capture that sound and hear it everyday!
If you love nature, a beautiful surrounding, a sweet little beach town with some great people and a lodge with wonderful service, I can't imagine you wouldn't be happy here. My family was, and we would definetely go back in a heartbeat! Thank you again Shawanda!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank geegi

Thank you!!!! We are happy that you really enjoyed your stay with us. We are all doing our best to let you have unforgettable holidays.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Puerto Viejo was our first stop on our month long trip to Costa Rica and Shawanda was a wonderful, relaxing oasis. It was a bit further from the main town of Puerto Viejo then I expected, but we were still able to find restaurants to eat within walking distance very easily.

By cab I think it would cost $16 round trip to go to Puerto Viejo so if you really want to have a variety of restaurants/bars/night life to visit this may not be the place for you. We rented bikes for $5 a day from the supermarket which was a five minute walk from the resort. The bike ride into town took about 30 minutes. There was a local bus that picked up every hour I believe right across the street from the resort. I think it was 1200 colones one way. The buses are relatively punctual. Everyone seemed to rent bikes here which is great for the day time, but there aren't many street lights so riding at night made me nervous.

The staff was very helpful and had all local information. Breakfast was the same every morning, but very good. If you left before breakfast was served they would kindly leave you a plate of fruit and coffee for the AM.

Rooms were very large with king size bed and good sized bathroom. Each cabana was set in the jungle so was very quiet and relaxing. We did not see much wildlife in town, but there were plenty of birds, monkeys, and sloths to be seen here. The howler monkeys make it a point to let themselves be known before the sun rises. They have a beautiful beach access point which is about a 5 minute walk. We visited all the beaches in the area and this was by far our favorite. The front desk will give you towels.

The restaurant was one of our more expensive meals there, but one of our favorites. A wonderful splurge.

I think the only area I would improve would be having a small fridge in the rooms so that people can keep beverages. I would definitely stay here again, but I think I would rent a car if I did.

Room Tip: Not a bad cabana!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MinnesotaNicci

Many thanks for your helpful review. We will consider your comment on the fridge in the room and the same breakfast every day.